3288 invertor/charger, electric head and other jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 invertor/charger, electric head and other jobs

Winter worklist under way, with a break right now for the 2nd lot of spinal surgery – S1 through L5 and 4 to L3. Lots of nice titanium to go with what is in my neck.

Genius 2500 watt automatic inverter charger. Original battery charger was a liability, so that is in the bin. Had just 2x105ah 12v batteries, so added a third in parallel for domestic. Invertor in the cave – cut nice big hatch last summer. Mounted aft on the inboard bulkhead to the aft cabin. Seriously heavy cables from battery switch, overhead central in engine bay, coming through into aft cabin behind steps, then via conduit and through into cave. Shore power in disconnected from AC panel (220v here) and wired directly to invertor, with output cable leading back to the AC panel. In theory … the unit will sense availability of shore power and feed panel. If no shore power, and AC power demand, it will switch to drawing from batteries. Should cut if battery voltage falls below 11v. I haven’t made final connections yet, so if you think I have done something wrong, please say.

Replace manual toilet with Sanimarin 31 electric, with built in macerator. Did this on previous boat, so the only issues have been getting wiring from back of panel through to locker under washbasin. I have followed threads of problems of access in this area. I am fitting the separate inlet pump just outboard of the holding tank, simply cutting in to the existing pipe there. Online chandlers managed to send me 24v pump instead of 12v so delay until the quacks let me back to the boat.

Shower drain fitting oxidised to dust. Finally got new one. Access problems again, so I aim to release pipe from outlet pump, to give enough slack to bring pipe up to drain hole to get lower part of fitting attached. This is going to need multiple arms and hands, as you can just reach through lifting step.

Fitting AIS transponder. Not too tricky. Lead clean power supply from panel up to shelf above windscreen, and lead cable to new VHF aerial on port side matching existing one to starboard. Around 170€ for an antenna splitter against 43€ for a nice new aerial, which can now act as a backup too. Went for the Icom MA500TR, with built in screen. Whilst I use an Android tablet with built in GPS, and Navionics for navigation, and could interface the AIS output onto that, I like the simplicity. Not decided yet whether to run fit the GPS antenna up on flybridge, or just find clear enough location on that shelf.

Then …. I just have to find the budget to sand blast the bottom and get transom gate cut. Previous owner just slapped more and more antifoul on everything including props, shafts and rudders. Caked layers of 4 different colours. 2,000€ for that and about 1,500€ for transom gate.

Launder the cockpit covers and make a few little mods. Tidy up varnish. Address dried out, cracked and leaking sealant in aft (fake) window panels.

I plan to be fit for mid April and am aiming to have the boat ready then too. We shall just have to see on both counts.
    I will add photos in a couple of weeks.
    A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

Hope your surgery goes well, and good luck with the projects!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Paralleling batteries that are not identical (age, amperage, ect) is said to be a bad idea. Consider installing a switch between the new battery and the existing.
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian
      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

I added a 10" deck plate on the vertical portion of the shower seat. That helped with routing my toilet wires immensely. There is a huge empty void behind there.
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Paralleled the existing two, identical batteries, and added new engine battery.
          A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
          Blustery Day
          Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

I just bought a xantrex inverter/charger off a guy on the forum. Curious what others have to say and how it goes. Are you concerned about the run length to your batteries for AC use? Good luck on the surgery.
            Glen Sherwood
            1987 3270 twin 305’s
            Coupeville, WA

Comment

In an ideal world, I would have mounted the unit closer to the batteries, but feel that the invertor side will prefer a more climate environment. Went for 50 gauge cables, 5m long.

Surgery done Thursday. 2 titanium rods, 8 titanium screws and some composite wedges. Just told me I can skedaddle tomorrow, so happy boy. The neck surgery I had back in June, similar 4 level reconstruct, hit every complication in the book, had me 10 days away with the fairies in intensive care, a 2nd dig around to make sure, 10kgs lost, and my nervous system shorting put for 5 months.
              Thanks for the thoughts.
              Blustery Day
              Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

Yeah it sounds tricky to get the batteries closer to the cave but still outside the living space. Not sure what you mean by 50 gauge--in the US cables get smaller the higher the number right? Is this a European measurement?
                Glen Sherwood
                1987 3270 twin 305’s
                Coupeville, WA

Comment

Glad the surgery went well this time!
                  Glen Sherwood
                  1987 3270 twin 305’s
                  Coupeville, WA

Comment

Wow! Quite the surgery! On connecting your inverter to the AC Panel, make sure you followed some of the subtleties of the instructions related to the neutral wire. With 120v the inverter needs to be essentially on a subpanel so that the neutral incoming from shore is separated from neutral coming from the inverter. My AC Panel also is setup with a Inverter Master breaker so that the inverter only supplies the refrigerator, outlets and microwave. That way there is no risk of depleting my four dedicated golf cart batteries through the cabin heaters or hot water tank.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Yes, Euro measurement. Cross section 50sq/mm. It is the heavy end of sizes used on trucks. I think equates to AWG 0.
                      Blustery Day
                      Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

My inverter is on a 22’ loop. Ten one way, twelve the other. My marine electrician calculated that I need 4/0 cables between the batteries and the inverter and a 3/0 grounding the case to one engine block. It’s related to the storage amp hours of the batteries and the distance.
                        P/C Pete
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        MMSI 367770440

Comment

#1/0 AWG wire is too small for a 2500W inverter.
                          DC rating is app 230AMPS... 1' ~ 10' #4/0 Will be required.
                          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                          93 3058 sold
                          92 2855 (day boat)
                          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                          Longbranch WA
                          Life is Good

Comment

Ham, I know it sounds crazy that a 1/0 can start a car or your boat engines, but you need 4/0 for the inverter? Part of the difference is the duration of the load. Undressed wires from the inverter is going to, possibly, have two results. The first is underpowering an appliance because the “flow” is limited that may cause a “brown out” and damage the appliance. The other is you could overheat and melt the inverter to battery wires which would not be good for the inverter or the batteries.
                            Use tinned wire with lots of strands along with sealed lugs and life will be good.
                            P/C Pete
                            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                              Wow! Quite the surgery! On connecting your inverter to the AC Panel, make sure you followed some of the subtleties of the instructions related to the neutral wire. With 120v the inverter needs to be essentially on a subpanel so that the neutral incoming from shore is separated from neutral coming from the inverter. My AC Panel also is setup with a Inverter Master breaker so that the inverter only supplies the refrigerator, outlets and microwave. That way there is no risk of depleting my four dedicated golf cart batteries through the cabin heaters or hot water tank.
                              Great input PC Pete. I'm a EE but that doesn't make me an expert on boat electronics!
                              Glen Sherwood
                              1987 3270 twin 305’s
                              Coupeville, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X