Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Holding Tank Issue-gctid403002

Hi Guys,

Went down to the boat today and noticed that there was a small amount of water/waste running out of the holding take outlet on the starboard side of the hull. The rear most outlet in a line of 4. The tank shouldnt be full as it was meant to have been pumped out when winterized and it only went back in the water a few days ago. Is it simply full or is the leak caused by something else? Obviously i need to get on top of this issue quickly.

The other strange thing is that we've been filling our water tanks up and either the water is somehow filling something else up or the tank isnt allowing us to put in anymore than about 1/4 of the capacity can hold. Is there any relationship with the issue above? Could the head be leaking and thus filling the holding tank?

Thanks guys

There should definitely be no link between the holding and fresh.

More likely either the tank was not emptied or the line had some liquid and solid in it which may have been ejected when the material in the hose when pressurized by a flushing head?

If you fresh will only take a 25% of the expected, you have to wonder whether the yard did the job.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "outlet". Are you talking about the overboard discharge throughhull from the discharge pump, or the tank vent, or the deck pumpout fitting? Or something else?

Comment

Its the through hull outlet from the discharge pump on the starboard side about 6-8inches above the water line. I think the breather is breathing as the smell was pretty bad when standing on that side of the boat.

this has only just happened as there was no smell or leak on Sunday. Is there a one-way valve in the discharge through-hull ? could it go bad?

Comment

Bayliner3258 wrote:
          I think the breather is breathing as the smell was pretty bad when standing on that side of the boat.
          This doesn't sound like an empty holding tank. I think the first thing you should do is get pumped out, and using your potable water pumps, fully drain the potable water tank too. The two are not in any way connected; you are dealing with 2 separate issues, but start from square 1 on both.

Comment

True. But if it were full would it leak through the discharge outlet or somewhere else?

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
              This doesn't sound like an empty holding tank. I think the first thing you should do is get pumped out, and using your potable water pumps, fully drain the potable water tank too. The two are not in any way connected; you are dealing with 2 separate issues, but start from square 1 on both.
              sounds like a good idea. i'll try this and let you know how i go.

Thanks,

Comment

Bayliner3258 wrote:
                True. But if it were full would it leak through the discharge outlet or somewhere else?
                Pumping out probably isn't going to fix your problem, but it will give you a known condition baseline to start from, by ruling out a full tank.

Comment

i think you're right.

Does anyone know if there is a shut-off valve in the discharge outlet that can go bad?

Comment

I've seen problems like this with leaky 3-way diverting valves allowing sea water to backfill holding tanks.

Comment

Doug S wrote:
                      I've seen problems like this with leaky 3-way diverting valves allowing sea water to backfill holding tanks.
                      hmmmm..........any idea where this valve would sit on a 3258?

Comment

Sounds more like a plugged vent if you ask me. The macerator pump is higher than the tank so it can not naturally flow out or leak out unless the vent is plugged. Heat will cause pressure to build up in the holding tank and can very well cause the macerator outlet to leak as you described IF the vent is plugged. Careful on the pump out as completely clogged vents can collapse holding tanks.
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                          Sounds more like a plugged vent if you ask me. The macerator pump is higher than the tank so it can not naturally flow out or leak out unless the vent is plugged. Heat will cause pressure to build up in the holding tank and can very well cause the macerator outlet to leak as you described IF the vent is plugged. Careful on the pump out as completely clogged vents can collapse holding tanks.
                          thats very useful to know. thanks.

how can i check to see if the vents are clogged and how can i unclog them?

if i go far enough out to see i can do a macerator pump out. could that also collapse a holding tank if the vents are blocked?

Comment

The holding tank vent is not an easy task to unplug. I have fought them before on a few boats and now realize the best way is to change it out. Just not worth the trouble as they are less than $20. This is what is normally used on all Bayliners. At least on the last 3 I have had. http://www.amazon.com/Perko-0506DP4C.../dp/B0009TNKCM That is the straight model however you will need to check yours as some have a 90 degree fitting due to space issues.
                            Cheers, Hans
                            2007 Carver 41 CMY
                            Twin Volvo D6-370
                            Montreal, Canada
                            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Different boat than mine, however maybe my similar experience will help.

I use my head for a urinal only, but I was getting an odor in the engine compartment and aft cabin after flushing. Another problem was that I could only pump out a very small amount and then the suction would draw no more.

My engine compartment is so tight that I could not access or visualize any tank fittings so I cut an access hatch into the holding tank area. I found that a previous owner had installed the 1/2" rubber vent hose running from the holding tank to the thru hull vent fitting in such a way that the tank hold down had clamped the vent hose completely shut. The tank would not vent at all.

Forgive me if I have read your posts incorrectly, but you do know that your pump out hose is fitted to the bottom of your holding tank? So you could still get a leak from a bad hose clamp even if your holding tank only had a small amount of waste in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X