Where is the fluid reservoir for trim tabs on a 3270–1987

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the fluid reservoir for trim tabs on a 3270–1987

Can someone tell me where the reservoir is for the trim tabs? 1987 3270.
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

It’s on the transom wall, behind the rudder connection bar. Stand in the right engine bay, look aft and it is about knee high on the inside of the transom. There are some black plastic hoses going into it. There is a small phillips screw on top of the resevoir. Back that out and the top comes off. Refill with ATF fluid.
    jim
    1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

• Gsherwood
      Gsherwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I use a mustard bottle for this...half full to avoid spills..which are nearly impossible to avoid lol. Tight spot. Little hand pump works well too

Comment

The mustard bottle is a great idea. Everthing else I have tried ends up in a mess with ATF all over the place. The full mark on the resevoir is nearly impossible to read.
      Jim
      1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

If a Bennett system, as others have said, you fill port is under the tinted cover. Yea it's super small. If your loosing fluid find out where it's going, engine bay or in the water
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	412234
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If it is a boat leveler model, it will be red. The little black rubber plug is the fill spot. It just needs to be pulled out. I use the red ketchup bottle (red cover, red fluid, seemed the red bottle fit better -
          Attached Files
          1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
          "Sea Flights"
          5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
          Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
          MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
          Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

I had 2 of the trim cylinders go bad last year. When I hauled the boat out for power wash and zinc replacements,, noticed area around 2 of the trim cylinders never dried out. There is a rebuild kit but it was easier to just replace the cylinders. I upgraded the trim system with the new autoretracting control unit. Works much better and quicker than the old unit. On the new unit, the pump attaces directly to the battery and the controller actuates a solonoid close to the pump rather than running the power from the battery to the dash and then back to the pump.
            Jim
            1988 3270 with 135 Hinos
            1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Thank you all. It was right where the one gentleman said it was. Managed to rig up a small funnel and piece of hose. It took about 2/3 of a quart bottle. They seem to work now. I think I’m getting about 3” of travel and it takes about 30 seconds. Does that sound about right?
              Glen Sherwood
              1987 3270 twin 305’s
              Coupeville, WA

Comment

Now I need to see if I’m losing fluid. Just had the tabs replaced so hoping it’s not.
                Glen Sherwood
                1987 3270 twin 305’s
                Coupeville, WA

Comment

Indeed it sounds right. They are amazingly resilient devices.

Comment

Bennett bolt electric actuators. No hydraulic hoses or leaks to worry about. They have a conversion kit to use your exsisting tabs. Nice clean install. No mess.
                    Doug
                    1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
                    496 big block - Bravo ll leg
                    The Doghouse
                    Prince George BC

Comment

That's an out of the water change though, isn't it? You need to replace the actuators right?
                      Glen Sherwood
                      1987 3270 twin 305’s
                      Coupeville, WA

Comment

Yes, out of the water job. Also make sure the new screws are no longer than the original. Lest the come all the way through the transom— been there.
                        Jim
                        1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

Working...
                        X