Removing Centrifugal Oil Filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Centrifugal Oil Filter

I'm working on changing the oil on my EH-700 engines for the first time. Hit a few snags, the cheapo oil extraction pump I bought just isn't strong enough to pull the oil out, I'll try to find a better one tomorrow. I got the main filter canister apart ok, and it looks pretty good inside actually, but I couldn't get the vertical centrifugal filter cap off. I undid the snap clamp that is on it and the cap rotates freely now but I wasn't able to easily pull it off. Is there a bolt that has to come out first?

Bry,
    IIRC that cover just lifts off exposing the knurled knob on top of the actual filter. The knurled knob (nut) should be finger tight. Unscrew that and lift the two filter pieces off the stem. Note the alignment marks before you separate the filter halves for cleaning.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Thanks Jim. I suspect this cap has not been off in a while, I'll have to be a little more forceful with it tomorrow.

Comment

That knurled knob is threaded to screw off backwards......if you think you are unscrewing it...you are actuallyntightening it
        Allan
        1986 - 3870
        175 Hinos
        Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Bry, I use one of those bucket lid mounted pump outfits like this: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/jabs...ket-17850-1012
          it has worked well for many years but I did have to modify it by replacing the bucket itself with a genuine Homers Bucket. I shortened th pickup tube so I’m not using much more than required because they have a habit of flipping oil everywhere if you loose control of it. I put the tube down the flexible drain hose that’s connected to the bottom of the oil pan. If you haven’t found that hose on yours, mine are around the starters. Eventually I’m going to tie both engines together with a drain manifold, but that’s on the long list.
          Having your oil cold is going to slow things down, you may want to put a heater on the oil pan overnight.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

you may want to put a heater on the oil pan overnight.

Or for you PNW guys where the winter temps can get quite chilly, run the engines to warm the oil and engine room. There’s a happy medium before the engines get to hot to touch. YMMV
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Hi Bry
              First using the palm of your hand to knock the cover cap off its just an "O" ring holding it in place now,it should also be replaced.If you bend it you'll play hell trying to find another cap.Seconed the knurled nut on top of centrifugal housing is standard right tightens left loosens.Third their are marks on the cup a "|" and a arrow on bottom of the base of housing that needs to be lined up upon reassembley,I clean the inside of the cup with brake cleaner and towels,because inside of cup has a knurled finish which the carbon sticks to,also wear GLOVES otherwise it will be weeks before you get that carbon off your hands,yes I found out the hard way.
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Be very careful when installing the o-ring on the main filter housing, a few dabs of grease to hold it in place is helpful. I use a mechanics inspection mirror to inspect around the housing to make sure the o-ring is fully in the groove of the housing after it’s all tightened up. It’ll dump the 10 litres of oil in about 30 seconds if there are any kinks in the o-ring.

James
                1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                Lowrance Electronics!
                MMSI
                VHF
                CFA 2587
                Boating on Georgian Bay
                Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Hi James
                  thats a great idea for thoes that have the canister type oil filters,I installed the remote oil filters years ago,now takes longer to "dump" the oil than remove it,would highly recommend them for tight spaces.
                  Brad & Sharon
                  Lady Jake
                  LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                  kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks for advice all. I got the centrifugal apart today and completed an oil change in my port engine. I think this is the first time the vertical filter has been cleaned. I'll post a picture below, a full 1/4" of carbon build up along the sides. At least the buildup was fairy easy to get off, it kind of peeled off like an old gasket it was so gunked together. The plastic knife tip came in handy. A few observations:
                    1. The nut and little retainer ring that hold on my centrifugal filter were both standard thread, so maybe not everybody's are the same.
                    2. I used a Fram filter to replace the canister element and the main O-ring was not a very good fit at all, I ended up re-using the old one. I wish I would have read James' post before I replaced it, maybe the grease would have helped me get the new one in place. At any rate, no drips so I'm pretty confident with it.
                    3. After idling for about 5 minutes my nice new oil was already fairly black. Normal?
                    4. That's funny Pete, I actually ordered that exact Jabsco pump from Amazon last night. I'm going to wait for it to arrive before I do the other engine, have to go out of town for about ten days anyway. I was really excited about that pump when I initially read about it on Walmart.ca. Check out this link and see if you can see why I was so 'pumped' :
                    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Jabsco-...RD3FSPPYF87AFN
                    Would have been a hell of a deal (remember those are $CDN).
                    5. Where did you get your remote filter set-up from Brad?

Comment

Hi Bry
                      OMG that centrifugal filter shure needed to be cleaned,I'am surprised it even worked.....If you're oil is already dark in color(not honey brown) I would change it in less than 50 hrs,however that's just what I'd do.I got my Oil Extractor from West Marine and installed male hydraulic quick connects on engines and transmissions and a female on pump side.
                      I got my remote mount oil filters at North Harbor Diesel 1-360-293-5551....Hope this helps...Good luck Brad
                      Brad & Sharon
                      Lady Jake
                      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
                      X