Avoiding Anchor Chain Jams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding Anchor Chain Jams

We do a lot of anchoring with our 5788, and carry 400 feet of 3/8” G4 chain and a 35kg (77lb) Fortress style anchor. When recovering the anchor from deep water, We are getting chain stacking despite having a huge chain locker. It’s simple enough to kick the stack over as the chain is wound in, but this results in the chain twisting and binding on itself the next time it’s used.

Has anyone come up with a method of having the chain lay down, or distributing itself evenly to prevent stacking in the chain locker as it’s recovered? I’ve heard about the use of a ‘mushroom’ type device that causes the chain to fall in a circular pattern around it, but I have never seen one. Has anyone got any good ideas?
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

We have the same problem in out 4788.
    My wife stacks the chain nicely as it’s coming in to avod problems, but we would love a better solution.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Now you have my imagination going. It would probably look like one of those cheap ships bells with significant flair and a chain path that would cause it to spin as the chain comes in. It might need a way of disengaging it when paying out the chain. Any existing product would have to work like the King Coiler on crab boats.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I found this that looks like it would work well in the right locker. Unfortunately, it’s from the UK, and the Force Four, the seller, website is down until 2/20.
        P/C Pete
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Try biodegradable soap. No, you can't ask me why I suggest this.

Comment

Has anyone used something like this?

P/C Pete: this is the Force Four Chainboy that I think you referred to.
            Rob
            Bayliner 5788
            'Merlin V'
            Vancouver BC

Comment

Oh fudge! I thought I pasted a link on my second post. Maybe the Admiral is correct that my brain is on vacation. Trouble is, she says that when we are home too. That is exactly the one I ment.

iceclimber, I won’t ask why, but is how allowed?
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Lofrans has a product that fits in your anchor locker. The electrically powered chain pipe sweeps left to right and lays the chain out without bee hiving.

Easy Chain System 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Vintage View Post
                  Lofrans has a product that fits in your anchor locker. The electrically powered chain pipe sweeps left to right and lays the chain out without bee hiving.

Easy Chain System 3000
                  That's a brilliant solution to the problem, Johnny. Could only find one place that sold them but the price was pretty dear at 1000 british pounds. gives me an idea for a DIY project though.

Comment

I have 200 ft of stainless steel (not Galvanized steel) chain and I have never had any pile-up issues. Stainless steel links are much smoother compared to galvanized links that, especially when they are wet they just slide off and don't form a pointed pile.
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
                      I have 200 ft of stainless steel (not Galvanized steel) chain and I have never had any pile-up issues. Stainless steel links are much smoother compared to galvanized links that, especially when they are wet they just slide off and don't form a pointed pile.
                      Sounds like the soap solves that problem. Makes it slippery.
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Most likely it will! However, I have a hard time asking the admiral to sit at the bow in order to pour soft soap on the chain as the freshly washed chain is being pulled out of the water! Fun aside, I am not suggesting that folks should change their chains. Nevertheless, when purchasing new chain you may want to take this issue also into consideration.
                        Retired, computer expert / executive
                        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                        bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                        bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
                          Has anyone used something like this?

P/C Pete: this is the Force Four Chainboy that I think you referred to.
                          Hey Rob.... that looks like a great idea....but how do you think it would mount in a chain locker like ours?????

BJ
                          OMEGA
                          BJ
                          OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
                            Most likely it will! However, I have a hard time asking the admiral to sit at the bow in order to pour soft soap on the chain as the freshly washed chain is being pulled out of the water! Fun aside, I am not suggesting that folks should change their chains. Nevertheless, when purchasing new chain you may want to take this issue also into consideration.
                            Wish I could have afforded stainless.

Comment

I don't know if this will work for everyone. I was having the pile up of chain in the chain locker on my 3870. The Admiral did not like the idea of having to leave the flying bridge and go down to the forward bedroom and push the pile of chain in the chain locker to one side. So this is what I did and it has worked just great. I put a three and a half inch hole in the bottom of the chain locker and one into the top of the storage area forward of the bed which we were not using at all. Mounted a four inch pvc pipe in between the to holes and the Admiral covered the pipe with matching fabric. The chain comes into the chain locker drops down through the pipe to the lower storage locker. Once it feels up the lower locker it comes up the pipe and goes into the chin locker. I have never had a problem with the chain coming out or going in since this modification.
                              Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                              1985 3870
                              Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                              Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                              Live on board full time.
                              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X