Replacement Boat Horn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Boat Horn

The dual-trumpet horn on my 3870 doesn't sound. Thought I would replace it. Just wondering if anybody has any advice on a brand name or something. Is there much of a difference in the sound of the 12V horns you can buy?

Before you do anything first confirm it’s getting power at the horn to verify its bad. Blown fuse, bad relay or broken wire are common issues.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Nauti Mike is spot on- your horns may be fine - check for voltage where the horns connect. If horns are truly bad Ongaro makes a very nice set but they will require #12 wire.
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
      34' Tollycraft- sold
      88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I had to replace my horns also, eBay, Amazon, there all ok
        {Living our Dream}
        John & Nancy
        1988 Bayliner 38
        175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
        Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

Comment

Search the site for horn repairs! There are some easy fixes that you might want to try first.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Bry, if indeed your horn is done, check out the horns here as a starting place for the sound you want. I’m not fond of the stock sound and mine is weak, so I was looking around and found this: http://www.marinco.com/en/products/horns. Then another member had a good experience with what turned out to be a different brand (Fiamm), however, in taking pictures to confirm the brand and noticed the wires were not connected well at all. If you have FIAMM horns. They are guaranteed forever, so it’s well worth contacting then if that’s the brand you have. The Fiamm replacement part number is 7555014,
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Bry, I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing. I agree with Mike. Behind the sticker on the very back of the horn there is a captive screw. Peel off the sticker and unscrew the little screw and the back will pop off. From here you can test the horns directly with a 12 source. I found out that my horns work fine (dual Ongaros) when hooked up directly. I'm in the process of rewiring them now. It may be necessary to unscrew all the screws and clean the contact points with emery cloth. Just like the old days with ignition points. I just realized you said that your horn don't sound good so I can assume that they are getting power. Therefore, with that back piece off you can access an adjustment screw that I believe changes the point gap thereby changing the sound. Good luck.
              1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
              previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Working...
              X