Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of moving up, need help researching.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of moving up, need help researching.

We've enjoyed our entry into boating around the PNW with our 3055 for the past five years. With the admiral retiring later this year we'll have more time to pursue greater adventures in the PNW and beyond. While I'm still several years away from retirement I find myself searching for our final boat. I want to do the research needed now and get up to speed on buying and maintaining a much larger boat. My goal sees us in a 40'-50' loa and I have selected several models I believe suit our needs, many of which are bayliners. Once we're both retired we want to take 2-3 months to cruise to Alaska and explore all the beauties of our spectacular west coast.

As a mechanic by trade I've never owned or worked on a diesel, either auto or marine and want to start researching the different manufacturers for pros, cons, reliability, maintenance schedules/expenses, etc.. My current top pick has Hino 310's but many others have the Cummins and Yanmar.

I see boatdiesel.com is popular but are there other sites available to help?

Can members chime in and share their experience working on, maintenance schedules and the expenses associated with maintaining their own diesels.

Always appreciative of the BOC family knowledge.

Kirk
    Sea Venture
    2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
    Cruising the PNW and beyond.
    DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
    MMSI 316029971

Kirk
    Drinks well with others.

Sprinter,
    Speaking just of engines, while I believe the Hino's are great engines (I have two) parts and support isn't getting any easier and will only be more challenging as time goes on. That's not to say that you cannot get parts now just that those parts are limited to a few suppliers. Example: I needed to replace the rubber seals around the injectors and finally found them through a truck dealer. I got the parts but getting them was tricky. For a "final" boat I'd give a lot of thought to a Cummins or other powerplant that still enjoys network support. If ever you find yourself broke down in Sitka, trying to find a pump, injector line, turbocharger or whatever you might be real glad to have a more common engine. Others might offer different opinions.
    Good luck in your search! I hope you locate a great boat!! Have you see the 5288?
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

• SprinterX
      SprinterX commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx for your input Jim. The model we're leaning toward is only available with hino's, either 250 or 310's. From my limited observations here I thought the hino's were very reliable and as you said parts are becoming increasing difficult to source. Is that correct?

• Jim_Gandee
      Jim_Gandee commented
      Editing a comment
      Both of my Hino’s have been very reliable, no question. The issue is if something fails in a remote area (aka Alaska) how challenging will it be to: 1. Obtain a part and 2. Locate a technician to effect repairs if you’re not capable. Any part of a Cummins engine can be on its way with a few phone calls. That has not be my experience with the Hino’s.
      That said, would I be afraid to take a well maintained Hino powered boat to Ak? Not at all! But I’d also be prepared to hang out in a port and jump through some hoops to get back up and running if need be. YMMV.

• SprinterX
      SprinterX commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx again Jim for the feedback. I carry a pretty good spares package for my twin gas 5.7s and would try and do the same for the hino's. That being said, murphy's law clearly states it'll be the part you don't have that fails. Good preparation and maintenance goes a long way towards reliability and while I don't have any diesel experience, I have been a mechanic for 40+ years and do all the work on my own boat now. I'm hopeful that will serve me well when I transition to diesel power.

Never worked on marine Cummins, but have on the land based version. It would be my engine of choice for a bigger boat. look after them and they will keep spinning forever.
    A 4788 with cummins engines would be a real nice package. But if you can afford a 5288.....
    1980 Bayliner 3270 "Goose Bumps"
    Twin 4.3 V6
    Located Blaine Wa.

Comment

• SprinterX
      SprinterX commented
      Editing a comment
      The pilot house models are nice and that makes them very popular, which make them in high demand, which drives up the price significantly. They're pros and cons for each model. Teresa and I have toured a few 4788 and she likes them too. 5288 are out of the picture strictly based on price alone.

The marine Cummins engines are easy to work on. For me it was easier to figure out diesel engines than gas ones. Give a diesel fuel, air , and compression and it’ll run.
    From your boat description you seem to be looking at a 4788. Had one for 6 seasons not and love it!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

• SprinterX
      SprinterX commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx for the feedback Kevin. The 4788 is a consideration but there popularity drives a premium price. I'm in no rush to buy, just trying to get my ducks in a row before we take the next step.

Originally posted by SprinterX View Post
    We've enjoyed our entry into boating around the PNW with our 3055 for the past five years. With the admiral retiring later this year we'll have more time to pursue greater adventures in the PNW and beyond. While I'm still several years away from retirement I find myself searching for our final boat. I want to do the research needed now and get up to speed on buying and maintaining a much larger boat. My goal sees us in a 40'-50' loa and I have selected several models I believe suit our needs, many of which are bayliners. Once we're both retired we want to take 2-3 months to cruise to Alaska and explore all the beauties of our spectacular west coast.

As a mechanic by trade I've never owned or worked on a diesel, either auto or marine and want to start researching the different manufacturers for pros, cons, reliability, maintenance schedules/expenses, etc.. My current top pick has Hino 310's but many others have the Cummins and Yanmar.

I see boatdiesel.com is popular but are there other sites available to help?

Can members chime in and share their experience working on, maintenance schedules and the expenses associated with maintaining their own diesels.

Always appreciative of the BOC family knowledge.

Kirk

Some thoughts from someone who owns neither now but has owned both...

I have owned a number if Cummins 6b's in pickups as well as a short owner of a pair of them in a boat. The Cummins 6b can be a reliable marine engine is you correct the half dozen of so issues with that engine one of which is to never run it loaded heavily. There are many posts and sources to research loading issues with the 6b but in simple summary never cruise it utilizing more than about 1 ho per 2 cubic inches and always prop it to reach max rpm +3-5% (no exception). If you intend to run at or near the top recommended cruise often (1 hp per 2 cubic inches) the please add pyro and boost gages so you can monitor and protect your investment..
    I have owned Hino's in 4 boats over many seasons which were in Bayliners of 38, 45, 45 and 47 feet in length. They are industrial engines which can take huge amounts of abuse and keep on running (not recommended but they do). Just in the past 6 months I have heard from folks that have had these issues: sunk their Hino's and rebuilt them utilizing common mechanic skill (Philippine islands), run their Hino's with no maintenance at all over 2,500 hrs so that they smoke like a WWII destroyer but still throttle them for a 5 hour 15 knots cruise (Hudson NY), and an owner that had a 'brainless' mechanic install intercoolers which leaked salt water into the engine over a 500 mile trip (Australia).
    I have worked on many of my friends diesels over the years , many Cummins 6b's and other colored engines as well as owning a few others myself like : Lister Petter, Perkins, GMC, Weterbeke, Hino, Yanmar, CAT, and Navistar.
    I can assure you that a Hino is much more robust that most of your other options and that is why I sought them out for my own boats.
    I have no dog in this fight....Good luck with your search.

ps - if you go with the HIno 310 (WO6 series) the advantages over the 250 Hp engine are far more than just the HP on tap that you will not use anyway - stay with the 310 if you have a choice over the 250 version.
    Northport NY

Comment

smitty477 - thanx very much for your detailed response. my early searches don't reveal much regarding maintenance schedules for the 310 engines.
      Sea Venture
      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
      Drinks well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by SprinterX View Post
        smitty477 - thanx very much for your detailed response. my early searches don't reveal much regarding maintenance schedules for the 310 engines.
        Your welcome - perhaps get a handbook or just buy the workshop manual if you would rather. Pub # S6-S270E-02
        Quicksilver P/N ...90-820678
        Last edited by smitty477; 02-12-2018, 01:56 PM. Reason: add P/N
        Northport NY

Comment

• SprinterX
          SprinterX commented
          Editing a comment
          I have found a manual that references the W06D-TI (250hp), but nothing specific to the -TII (310hp). I don't see any maintenance schedules for inspections, etc.
          Your "Quicksilver P/N ...90-820678" references HP Gear Oil. What am I missing here?

For that it’s worth. I had Hino 250s in a 3587 for 4 years. Very basic maintenance, never ever missed a beat. Of course people will have opinions but I the Hinos were good to me.
        BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
        5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
        Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Cummins 250 turbo’s on my 1996 4087, that we’ve had for 10 years have been great. Mechanic does a complete service every year, oil change, filters, impellars, check hoses, clamps, inner coolers etc etc. It’s been great so far, choosing a great mechanic if you aren’t competent to do the service (as I’m not), will pay dividends down the road.
          1996 4087 Lazy Days
          2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
          2011 Porsche Cayman
          2010 Lexus IS 250C
          2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

"The model we're leaning toward is only available with hino's, either 250 or 310's. From my limited "

so, narrows down to 4087, 4388, 4588, 4788?
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

• SprinterX
              SprinterX commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, that's a negative on all four guesses Ruffryder.

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
            "The model we're leaning toward is only available with hino's, either 250 or 310's. From my limited "

so, narrows down to 4087, 4388, 4588, 4788?
            Other Bayliners that came with Hino's include : 3688 , 3988, 4387 , and 4587.
            Also rumored that there were a 'few' 3788's with Hino's in 1996.
            Northport NY

Comment

LoL I misread it "either" part
              excluding 3688, 3788, 3988 since sprinter X said 40'-50'.
              4587 it is, since she is the only one came with either 250 or 310s.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

All of those boats are over 40' - ask any marina that measures boats.
                Don't let the Bayliner 'logo' tags fool you - they refer to the molded hull only not with platform and pulpit.
                With those 'stock' additions the are all 40' boats - and the marinas will remind us that when qualifying or paying for slip spots.
                Back then you could also 'order' a Bayliner with either engine - I have the original brochures but they sometimes 'lie'.
                Northport NY

Comment

Sea Venture
                  DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                  MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                  Drinks well with others.

Comment

Hi Kirk, I am late to this post... call me any time to discus Hino or Cummins issues. my 3988 had the W06-250 and my 47 has the W06Tii-310 .
                    Parts are really no problem with the Canadian supplier right in Nanaimo. I have also used North Harbour in Anacortes when the dollar was closer to par...{ they are priced less than Marine Parts Supply in Nanaimo} The Wo6 block is still used by Hino in their trucks and apparently still being installed new in boats closer to Asia.

Cheers, Gary
                    Afterglow 4788
                    Gary Weiss
                    Sidney BC
                    ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

• SprinterX
                      SprinterX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanx for the offer of help. I'll definitely take you up on that when the time comes.
                  Working...
                  X