Should I install line cutters or not ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I install line cutters or not ??

I will be criusing in the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound and hopefully the Broughtons for many years. There are a lot of Crab and Prawn traps as well as commercial fishing nets out there and they can be hard to see in the waves, especially the old ones or the ones with clear plastic milk jugs for floats. I am thnking line cutters would be a good way to keep mine and my wifes worry level down a few notches. How many of you have wrapped ropes around your props and how did you get them untangled? Would you spend $1000 of your hard earned money for a pair of line cutters on your shafts? Is a drysuit and a breathing hose something to consider? (I'm old and don't like cold water)
    How much does it cost to have a diver do the work?
    Stan
    2001 Bayliner 4788
    Underhulls
    Bow & Stern Thrusters
    Hydronic heater
    330 Cummins

I have a set of line cutters on my 4788, and yes the cost at close to a thousand is allot, but...

If they save me from even one disabeling event in their lifetime they have paid for themselves, and then some.

Think about it...

You have two seperate engines. Two separate fuel tanks. Seperate batteries...No single point of failure between the two engines.

About the only thing that can render your boat dead in the water is a collision with something, or something otherwise tangling your props.

Line cutters offer some level of insurance against lines, nets, and even heavy seaweed.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Only you know your tolerance for risk. Most folks don't have them. Should they? Probably. If you are at all concerned, get them. They are an insurance policy you will likely never use, but like any insurance, you don't want to use it.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

There was a 45 or so foot yacht in Prince William Sound that got it's props wrapped up in a shrimp pot line (they shrimper was personal use guy and had 150 feet or so floating line on the surface) in both props. They had to call a diver from Whittier (70 miles away) who had to come out and free the props, then motor back to Whittier, I am willing to bet their bill was over 1000
        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be buying line cutters......... and no more wieners with my Kraft Dinners for quite a while either.
          Stan
          2001 Bayliner 4788
          Underhulls
          Bow & Stern Thrusters
          Hydronic heater
          330 Cummins

Comment

I have a contact for you to compare products with - shoot me a PM if you want me to send you his info - he's down in the SE part of the country right now. He works for PYI Inc.
            97 2859

Comment

Song: Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Just curious, does anyone have experience of the line cutters doing their job? I've heard that they don't really work.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

My 32xx got hung up on crab pot lines 3 times. First time I didn’t have my dive gear so I was going to call sea tow. My buddy, who was the one that was driving my boat and ran over the pot, volunteers to dive in. Stripped to his chonies and cut it free. After that I started carrying all my dive gear. So the next two times no big deal. Put on wetsuit and jump in. Mask and snorkel work ok but I prefer to use my emergency air. It’s a scuba tank the size of a kiddie fire extinguisher. Wetsuits can be had for as cheap as $150. If you’re physically capable it beats having to wait for hours or days or have to be towed.
                  Esteban
                  B-ham!
                  Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Youtube test results of vaious line cutters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JImiuemabIY

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Working...
                    X