4788 Auto Bilge Pumps Fused/Breakered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Auto Bilge Pumps Fused/Breakered?

I have my aft auto bilge pump not working. There is no power to the float switch. The others have power and work as expected.

I assume their power is fused. Working back from the switch, it's fed by brown wire with a red stripe, but I quickly lose it in the loom so I can't physically trace it. Does anyone know where its power is sourced or protected, or where I can physically check to start troubleshooting where the open circuit is?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    Chris & Bethany
    Sleep Walk - 1999 4788 w/330 Cummins
    New to us in October 2017
    Moored in Anacortes, WA

Sold: 1994 2855 Rosalita 7.4L B2 2013-2017

subject to checking, I think those bilge pumps are fused back at the panel where your main battery switches are located. J Mistress

Comment

They are as Mistress suggested. The top one under the ledge (almost unseen unless on hands and knees) is the Aft Bilge Auto fuse. Quarter turn and check whether a replacement is needed with a multimeter.

cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks gents! Found the panel, but the fuse is good. Will continue to troubleshoot, but if there's power to the other ones from there, it shouldn't be too much further to find the open, right?
        Chris & Bethany
        Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

From the backside of the fuse panel, there is power delivered to and departing from the fuse terminals, but not arriving at the crimp connects in the bilge. It looks like it's an open circuit somewhere between the fuse panel and the float switch connection, but I have a hard time believing a wire that large has effectively disintegrated. Is there some other connection between the fuse and the pump which might fail? I can't think of what reason there would be to have something else in the circuit, and a visual trace shows nothing.

For a remedy, I will run a new line in parallel from the fuse spade to the pump in the bilge unless someone has a better idea.
          Chris & Bethany
          Moored in Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
          X