Horns not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horns not working

I replaced my horns with new last year and they worked initially. The ones I replaced where completely rusted out inside. When I press the horn button now I hear a "gink" sound and the voltmeter dives to negative. My question is, "Has anyone ever installed a relay to bump up current to the horns?"
    I suspect the original wiring is too light and I am experiencing voltage drop. These are standard dual trumpet style, angled down slightly to avoid rain water etc.
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

The relay is not used to bump up current but to isolate the user button from the higher current draw of the horn. Yes you should install a relay and use wire from it to the horn rated for the horns current draw. You will also need to run heavier wire back to the power source.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mike. I haven't researched how to wire the relay yet but I'm glad to know that it would be worthwhile. Any advice or experience from this knowledgeable forum would be appreciated. I seem to remember that the horns are wired twice, once from the lower and once from the upper helm. Is this correct? If so, would I have to wire a relay in the lower helm and one in the upper helm?
      1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Happy Friday,
        I just did this last summer. I mounted the relay under the upper helm. I ran a #12 wire from the fuse block to the normally open contact of the relay. Then I ran #12 from the other side of the contact to the horn. You will also have to run #12 for the ground to the horn. Then I used the original wire that came from the horn switch to power the coil on the relay. However the horn button on your lower helm has its own power. If you disconnect the wire on the lower horn button from its breaker everything will work correctly.
        Gibraltar, Mi.
        1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
        34' Tollycraft- sold
        88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Happy_Friday wire as Sunbird said. The two horn buttons are wired in parallel and feed from the same source. This way once either is closed 12V is supplied to the relays coil.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

When I installed new horns on my 3870 the new ones barely made a squeak, I checked the wiring, the previous owner used 18 gauge wire, I re-wired it with 12 gauge and now have very loud horns.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Sunbird and Mike,
              Thanks for all the advice. I'll need to study the circuit closely once I get back to the boat so that I can more fully understand your instructions. Regarding the relay, are they all about the same or are there different ratings/sizes/quality? Looks like another fun day as a contortionist under the upper helm!
              Thanks again, Pete
              1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Boatworkfl,
                That is something I had not thought of. Good idea! That was the fix required for the macerator as well. Makes sense as I think the wiring is chronically undersized from the factory. Thanks!
                1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos

Comment

Working...
                X