Oceanair Skyscreen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oceanair Skyscreen

I'm considering installing Skyscreens on the two Bomar hatches in the master. Anyone used these? They look fantastic. I played with some on several show boats at the Seattle show last week and was impressed. Just curious how they fit on the 47. http://www.oceanair.co.uk/marine/pro...product_tabs=0
    James
    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
    Gig Harbor, WA
    11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
    Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
    Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

We installed one on the forward hatch of our 38. Install was easy (we moved it from our 28) and the ocean air is very durable. It’s been on our 38 for the last four years without problem. It should fit fine on a 47.

James
    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
    Lowrance Electronics!
    MMSI
    VHF CFA2587
    Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
      We installed one on the forward hatch of our 38. Install was easy (we moved it from our 28) and the ocean air is very durable. It’s been on our 38 for the last four years without problem. It should fit fine on a 47.

James
      Excellent, thanks for the info. They are expensive, but look like a great solution.
      James
      2000 4788 | "Freedom"
      Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

Hi James
        I installed new Lewmar hatches over 10 years ago that came with that as and option,they are great,Let in fresh air for thoes hot summer nights,or pull the blackout shade an sleep till noon because you partied toooo hard....I highly recommend them.......Good luck Brad
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
        2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

We have them on our 4788 on the forward hatches in the master stateroom. I love them. We barely close the hatches all summer. The only downside is we let the screens get to dirty. Not so easy to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by MalNSF View Post
            We have them on our 4788 on the forward hatches in the master stateroom. I love them. We barely close the hatches all summer. The only downside is we let the screens get to dirty. Not so easy to clean.
            Are your hatches Bomar? I'm trying to make sure I order the correct size. My current Bomar hatch casing has an inside measurement of 20-1/4" x 20". I think I need the Bomar 1039 Skyscreen that seems to have a measurement of 20-1/4" x 20-1/4".
            James
            2000 4788 | "Freedom"
            Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

HI James, Yes, they are Bomar. I am not sure of the model/size. I can check if you need me to, but I won't be back to the boat until next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by MalNSF View Post
                HI James, Yes, they are Bomar. I am not sure of the model/size. I can check if you need me to, but I won't be back to the boat until next weekend.
                No worries. I was finally able to raise a rep from Oceanair on the phone, so I got the size question answered. Thanks!
                James
                2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

We got these installed last weekend and WOW. Never thought I'd be so excited about something like a hatch screen. As long as they hold up as well as they're said to, they are worth every penny.
                  James
                  2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                  Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

Upper 22,
                    could you post a couple of pics when you have time? What model and size did you get? Where did you buy them?
                    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                    MV Kia Orana
                    Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I checked into these recently for the hatch on our 3055. While very nice and functional the $350 (almost $500cdn) is very, very spendy and now dropped from our 2018 improvement list.
                      Sea Venture
                      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                      Drinks well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
                        Upper 22,
                        could you post a couple of pics when you have time? What model and size did you get? Where did you buy them?
                        The hatches on our boat are Bomar 20-1/4" x 20-1/4". That size/brand uses the SFSS-1039 and we used the beige color with the optional 2" PVC liner. This is the older model, not the new Skyscreen 2. I spoke with an Oceanair rep and they steered me this way as the more rounded corners of the original model fit better with the Bayliner interior than the squared corners of the Skyscreen 2, and I'm happy with the result.

It was a bear to get the first one installed, but once we found the right sequence and a few tricks the second one went on in about 10 minutes.

I shopped these pretty hard, and the best deal I found was from www.ahoycaptain.com, I paid $277.95 each, including the liner and free shipping. They were great at answering questions I had about the install and they know the product very well. I'd recommend them. https://www.ahoycaptain.com/oceanair_SFSS-1039.html

If there are other questions I can answer about the screens, or the install, let me know.
                        James
                        2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                        Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

• vinomaker
                          vinomaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi James,
                          I have talked with Vince at ahoycaptain and I have a couple questions for you. Did you remove the existing frame before you installed the liner kit? I am thinking if I cut the raised frame out and leave the existing inside liner I would not need to install their liner which is white.

That is one expensive screen
                        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

When we bought our 4788 it didn't have any window coverings in the Master bedroom, so I took some flexible material from the dollar store, covered it in tin foil and cut it to fit the windows. Made things nice and dark, but awkward to put in and take out. Last year we bought skyscreens. Yes, they're expensive. But so worth it! I enjoy being able to slide the shades open in the morning and having the bedroom filled with natural light.

Comment

Originally posted by robster4788 View Post
                            When we bought our 4788 it didn't have any window coverings in the Master bedroom, so I took some flexible material from the dollar store, covered it in tin foil and cut it to fit the windows. Made things nice and dark, but awkward to put in and take out. Last year we bought skyscreens. Yes, they're expensive. But so worth it! I enjoy being able to slide the shades open in the morning and having the bedroom filled with natural light.
                            I totally agree. There are other options to achieve the same results, but the Skyscreen really feels like the "right" solution. It's one of those products that just works. I believe that the best products are those you never notice or think about because they do their job exactly as they should. So sure, they're expensive, but well worth it in my book.
                            James
                            2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                            Gig Harbor, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X