2nd try at upholstery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd try at upholstery.

Well, the first try at upholstery while OK was problematic. It was difficult to sew, difficult to repeat, and the seams were not as strong as I wanted.

So, I went back to the drawing board, talked to the tech support folks at Sailrite, and this is the result

I am much happier with this style!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

That looks great, Kevin
    BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

Very nice! How is the sailrite to use?
      1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
      previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Kevin, this is IMO drop the welt cord it is to hard to learn how to sew it and install it , try cutting a top and bottom with what we call a boxing, then top stich it on the boxing side top and bottom or just top. the only problem I can see would be your little machine sewing a small length stich witch makes upholstery look homemade, it would also be ok not to top stich on the box, just when you install foam make sure the seam is 90 deg to the boxing. TIP cut the face and bottom same size as foam with out a cover on it , cut the boxing 1/2 in bigger than the foam is thick then take a 1/2 in seam top and bottom, you will have better luck this way.
        1988 3270
        135 hinos
        Seldovia ALASKA
        KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
        KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
        Marine canvas/Upholstery
        since 1975

Comment

I think it loos pretty darn good.
          Ted G
          The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
          Designers Edition
          Mercury 350 Mag
          290 Volvo DP

Comment

Originally posted by ALASKAN_ADVENTURER View Post
            Kevin, this is IMO drop the welt cord it is to hard to learn how to sew it and install it , try cutting a top and bottom with what we call a boxing, then top stich it on the boxing side top and bottom or just top. the only problem I can see would be your little machine sewing a small length stich witch makes upholstery look homemade, it would also be ok not to top stich on the box, just when you install foam make sure the seam is 90 deg to the boxing. TIP cut the face and bottom same size as foam with out a cover on it , cut the boxing 1/2 in bigger than the foam is thick then take a 1/2 in seam top and bottom, you will have better luck this way.
            Thanks Kevin!!!!!

The problem I had/have is that on the OEM cushions the front and ther back are actually extensions of the top plate and the seams are all top stitched. To me as a beginner I found that making the corners and doing the top stitching was almost impossible to do consistantly.

Thats why I mede the decision to go with a 4 sided boxing (vs 2 sided in the oem) and the piping. Are you saying I can bag the piping and just sew a single seam with no top stitch? Is that strong enough? (I was afraid that a single seam across the seat front would rip out in a short time)

Thanks!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Friday View Post
              Very nice! How is the sailrite to use?
              The Sailrite machine is great!.

This is a real learning experience. The folks that do this for a living make it look allot easier than it really is. It is amazing how much respect for someones skillset you get when you try to do their job.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

You are causing me emotional problems. I can do all sorts of metal and woodwork. I have a table saw, metal lathe and vertical mill in my shop along with sanders, routers, grinders, polishers and hand tools. However, Sewing machines scare the crap out of me. I’ve tried. I usually end up with a good top stitch, but a spiderweb on the bottom side. I’m not allowed to touch the Admirals machines, and I’m okay with that.
                Nice looking work.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                  You are causing me emotional problems. I can do all sorts of metal and woodwork. I have a table saw, metal lathe and vertical mill in my shop along with sanders, routers, grinders, polishers and hand tools. However, Sewing machines scare the crap out of me. I’ve tried. I usually end up with a good top stitch, but a spiderweb on the bottom side. I’m not allowed to touch the Admirals machines, and I’m okay with that.
                  Nice looking work.
                  We have similar shops I do not do much with metal, but there are not many woodworking tools I don’t have (and use).

My problem with a top stitch is corners. It’s pretty easy on a straight run, just go slow... its the corners that get me.

That and Vinyl is a one shot material. Get a bit of a wavy top stitch and you are stuck with it.

Thats an advantage I learned of using piping. As long as you do not sew through the piping itself, you can always go back and tighten up a seam and nobody can see it.
                  That is something the nice folks at Sailrite taught in one of their fantastic videos.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

You’re a bad influence, Kevin... You've got me hankering for a new sailrite machine, now...
                    BJ
                    OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post
                      You’re a bad influence, Kevin... You've got me hankering for a new sailrite machine, now...
                      Its addicting. I am very happy with how the cockpit enclosure came out. Then we hated the blinds in the boat so I sewed curtains. My wife didn’t think curtains would look nice, but I did it anyway and her eyes poped out when she saw them. She was impressed!

The pilothouse is taking some time to learn, but I’m getting there!

This summer I have plans for a full flyingbridge enclosure. Something I always wanted.

In a couple weeks my new carpet will be here and with my handy dandy Sailrite binding attachment I’ll be binding my own carpet.

The list of things you can do is endless... I’ll be sewing some bunge corded doggie covers for the salon cushons to protect them from paws.

Then there’s the new drapes for the master berth...

Most easy one day jobs that have a huge appeal because they offer something nice and almost instant gratification.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Upholstery is probably the last thing I should attempt doing. It is tempting though especially with stories like yours. Please provide some pictures when you can.
                        1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
                        previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Its addicting. I am very happy with how the cockpit enclosure came out. Then we hated the blinds in the boat so I sewed curtains. My wife didn’t think curtains would look nice, but I did it anyway and her eyes poped out when she saw them. She was impressed!

The pilothouse is taking some time to learn, but I’m getting there!

This summer I have plans for a full flyingbridge enclosure. Something I always wanted.

In a couple weeks my new carpet will be here and with my handy dandy Sailrite binding attachment I’ll be binding my own carpet.

The list of things you can do is endless... I’ll be sewing some bunge corded doggie covers for the salon cushons to protect them from paws.

Then there’s the new drapes for the master berth...

Most easy one day jobs that have a huge appeal because they offer something nice and almost instant gratification.
                          I like the idea the sailrite has enough umph to bind carpet. I had my pilot house carpet bound and it was hideously expensive... I could’ve bought a machine for the amount they charged,,, and they didn’t even get the corners how I really wanted them..,, I have a lot of things I want to bind, so I think there’s yet another thing being added to my boat bucket list....lol...

like I said,,, a baaaaaaddddd influence...
                          BJ
                          OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Thanks Kevin!!!!!

The problem I had/have is that on the OEM cushions the front and ther back are actually extensions of the top plate and the seams are all top stitched. To me as a beginner I found that making the corners and doing the top stitching was almost impossible to do consistantly.

Thats why I mede the decision to go with a 4 sided boxing (vs 2 sided in the oem) and the piping. Are you saying I can bag the piping and just sew a single seam with no top stitch? Is that strong enough? (I was afraid that a single seam across the seat front would rip out in a short time)

Thanks!!!
                            Are you using #16 thread? I always top stich, they should be good on a single stich if you don't start and stop, A lot of the couch cushions are single stich, your boat gets lite use, not like your hauling a bunch of long shoremen to the platforms
                            1988 3270
                            135 hinos
                            Seldovia ALASKA
                            KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                            KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                            Marine canvas/Upholstery
                            since 1975

Comment

I really enjoy sewing... It's pretty cool making stuff. You can often spot the guys with sewing machines. they have covers on everything.
                              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                              X