38xx Salon Hatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38xx Salon Hatch

I’m nearly finished with hinging my salon hatch and got to thinking, often a dangerous situation, “gee, if I could do a bit of bending to the dipstick tube, I could check the oil on the starboard engine from up here instead of crawling over the port engine to do it”.
    Anybody done or tried it? Obviously I’d have to figure out how to change the support brackets, but it would be so much easier.
    As to the hinging, I moved the lift button to the aft inboard corner, installed way oversized slide off hinges and a single 40# gas lift. After having the hinges slide apart as designed several times and finding them to be a pita to get back together, I decided the option wasn’t worth the benefit so I’m going to replace them with a normal hinge.
    The button type will be replaced with a handle, we use carpet runners along here now. One 40# lift holds it perfectly The hinges are going to be replaced with non separating, maybe removable pin type
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Did you add that salon hatch yourself? My 3870 doesn't have one there. . .

Comment

That’s standard on all of the 38’s I’ve seen. It gives access sorta between the engines. From the factory, there is a lifting button at the bar end and the hatch goes over to the settee step. The kink in the step is not quite in the middle going fore to aft. I just added a hinge at the bar end and moved the lifting button to the settee end. That alone made it much easier but needed something to hold the hatch open. Yours may have been carpeted over, but then it would be darn difficult to add coolant or oil to the starboard engine.
      Pete
      P/C Pete
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Bryguy, I’ll bet you have a hatch there in the Solon floor. As Pete describes it may have been covered up at some point in the past. You definitely want that hatch access for maintenance purposes. Climb down to the space between your engines then look up directly above the bulkhead that your fuel manifold is attached to. I’ll bet you will find the hatch outlines.
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Yup, it's there. Not even covered up by anything, I was just having a brain fart.

Comment

My Admiral says I have those kinda often, and the other kind too.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
            X