EH 700 Fuel Flow Rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EH 700 Fuel Flow Rate

Looking at changing the fuel filter assemblies- I have a Racor in mind that will flow up to 60 gpm. Is that enough for EH700 Hino's?
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

I believe you meant 60 Gallons per hour (GPH)? The max the fuel pump can push through that engine is approx. 30gph; so the RACOR 600 will more than exceed the specs. Be careful which micron range filter you use for that engine.
    MY 3988
    M/V MMPOWRD
    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Bay39-
      You are correct - 60 GPH - Which micron filter element would you recommend for the primary filter? I have a choice between 10 -30 micron.
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
      34' Tollycraft- sold
      88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

My 250 HINOs utilize the Racor 500 version and I use the 10-micron and haven't had any issues with vacuum, plugging or starving. Maybe others with 175s will chime in.
        MY 3988
        M/V MMPOWRD
        Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Sunbird, fwiw, and opinions are what they are and everyone has their own preferences, I choose to use 2 micron racor brand filters. Personally, I’d rather catch the contaminants at the first filter. Mine are located (88 3818) on the bulkhead below the fuel switching valves and are a piece of cake to change even in a bit of rock and roll. In my experience filters don’t completely clog all at once. The flow gets restricted and the engine will not run all the way up, but will run at, say 1800, for quite a while, usually enough time to get to a place that’s not going to cause bruises getting to and from the filters. I also keep a pint bottle of fuel handy for topping off the unit before closing it back up.
          I have two of the 500 turbos, one for each engine, plus a smaller version for the genset. I keep the fuel crossover closed.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I've used The Racor500 series for many many years with 2 micron,I find I much easer to change than thoes mounted on the engine,and like P/C said I to have a small jug of diesel to top off filter when changing.Some day I need to install a dual system...however replacing filters every season has been just fine..... Good luck Brad
            Brad & Sharon
            Lady Jake
            1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
            LaConner,Wa. (summer)
            2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
            kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Use 10 mics as the smallest pre filter - staged filtration is always superior to using the same mic rating at serial filters.
              Add vacuum gages to know when you will need to change and as a diagnostic aid - maybe $20 25 each vac gage.
              More information on boatdiiesel and here....

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/

Northport NY

Comment

Have the 900 racors on our EH700, use the 10 micron for staged filtration, the 900 give you more media which has helped us when we have had issues. We have the Vacuum gauges and those help guide you to doing a change prior to the engines have issues. Just like checking the engine room when under way, check those gauges and you will know to swap out filters before it becomes a stress full event.
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
                X