3788 Radar arch installation rigging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3788 Radar arch installation rigging

I got a hair brained idea this morning. My boat is sitting in the yard with the radar arch lying on the ground behind it. The yard doesn't have a crane or forklift capable of lifting it high enough to install it. If I had them install it they would launch the boat first and then lash the arch to a travel lift sling to lift it onto the boat. My hair brained idea is to use a ladder in the cockpit as a sort of gin pole. I would place the ladder with its feet in the cockpit against the bulkhead at forward edge of the cockpit leaning outward over the transom. I would put a block on the ladder with a line through it and connected to the arch top. I would run another line either to the aluminum half top or through another block on the ladder to each of the mid-ship cleats or perhaps to the top and the cleats. I could then lift the arch by a combination of pivoting the ladder with the lines and raising the arch with the line and block to the ladder.

Thoughts?
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Certainly doable but you will need some additional "guy lines"...the foot of the ladder will need to be securely tied so it doesn't move in any direction...two lines going forward at about 45 and two lines going aft at about 45...any angle sufficient to hold the foot secure will work.

You will also need two guy lines to hold the ladder from going side to side. These will need to be manned as they need to be adjusted as the ladder is brought up and forward...

Alternatively, could you get the yard to straddle the boat with the travel lift (in the yard) and use the mast boom to lift the arch...? The mast boom is what is usually used to lift sailboat masts up and off...it would be more controlled that way...
    1988 3888
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0
    Boating Raritan Bay

Comment

good point on the lateral guys, hadn't considered that. The guys at the yard were scratching their heads about how to do the lift with the travel lift. There are a number of masts being worked on throughout the yard. I'll suggest this to them.
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian
      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

When I did my 3288 on my own, I hired a small truck that had one of those hydraulic crane arms on the back of it for 1/2 a day. The problem I was worried about was that it can take some time & effort to line it up again, both sides & I decided that this would allow me the time to work until I got it exactly right.
        Bay Seeker
        1994 3288

Comment

Working...
        X