5788 or 580 replacement glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5788 or 580 replacement glass

I’m in the process of a couple of projects for Omega. As my mind swirls with different ideas in addition to the current projects on “on the books”, I started working on a project that I could use a set of the front three pilothouse windows/windshields... Does anyone have any ideas of where I could find a set of used windshields or a place that sells/makes windows like these?

Thanks for the help,
    BJ
    OMEGA
    BJ
    OMEGA

If I can ask, Why???

Are yours broken?

As for sources, if they are flat, a good glass shop should be able to supply the glass.

If they are curved

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I’ve been designing a new retractable hardtop for my bridge. It incorporates the use of windows I have in the pilothouse. I figured if I could find a place that sells the windows, it would save me a ton of time and effort. That’s what got me wondering what happens when a boat’s glass gets damaged,

The front glass panels appear to be flat. I was hoping to find the center three and then make curved acrylic side windows or make removable side panels. I’m still in the midsts of figuring that parts of the design out. I have designed several versions. I’ve already started the main structure with taking a mold off of my radar arch, as I want the arch to nest with the hardtop as close as possible in hopes of making it easy install and making it look somewhat factory.... I attached a drawing for grins and giggles....

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	409063
      With luck, I’ll have it ready to install in time for summer...
      BJ
      OMEGA

Comment

That is really cool!

I would use a glass shop. We had a custom shower made by a local glass shop recently and I had discusions with them at the time about custom glass, strengths, etc...

They old me that for strengths that do not cut well, they order the glass cut to any shape you want it.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY
        SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Thanks.... I figure I’ll post the outcome when I get it done...

stay tune...
          ~BJ
          BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

That is a big project!

I assume you are doing it in fiberglass?

Are you having it done? or DIY?

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I oringally wanted to have it done by someone, Kevin... However, after pulsing a couple of fabplaces, they seemed to want between $20k and $30k or more... I can’t remotely afford that.

As like most things I want to upgrade on the boat, i have to design, install, build them myself... It saves a ton, that’s for sure. It’s about the way I can afford to continually evolve and mondernize Omega... I'm guessing the cost for this project will be less than a coulple thousand dollars in materials. When compared to $30k, even at twice the price, it will be a steal.... The one thing I do like about larger projects is I generally run into some tool I don’t have yet and it gives me that excuse to buy it... but don’t tell th admiral, tho... OK?

~BJ

BJ
              OMEGA

Comment

I know what you mean.
                When the canvas guy quoted me $10K for my cockpit enclosure I bought a sewing machine and learned how to sew.

Fiberglass is a skill I have not learned yet. It is not unreasonable for someone like yourself to learn the skill and complete the project, it just takes time and allot of patience.

Please post photos as the project progresses. If after all the research you decide to defer the project, well... You can always sew an enclosure. My bimini is sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to finish the pilothouse seats.

It’s amazing people I know think we are rich because we own a large boat. We are actually poor because we own a large boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

The project might take a longer than I hope, like seems to happen at times, I’m pretty sure it will get done....lol....

I’ve already started making the “splash” molds of the radar arch corners, so I can start the mating side panels and have them rough molded soon. My progress has been a little impaired by the weather (rain and lower temps), lately, but I did just finish the first arch “splash”... I hope to have the other “splash” done sometime next week, so I can start the side panels...it took me a bit longer than I wanted, as I didn't use conventional fiberglass mold techniques,,,

As i didn't want resin dripping all over the place when making the “splash”molds and I didn’t want to dismantle or remove the arch, I had to figure out a different way to take a “splash” of my arch. I wanted a “splash” instead of simply measuring and roughing the interface between the arch and my new parts, so I could get all the contours of the arch so things seated tight and finished off so it looked factory or at least like it belonged... I’ve seen bunch of different hardtop installations and a lot of them seemed to be adapted. What I mean is they didn't looked like they were built generically and did not fit the contours of the arch they were fit to, very well. Many of the installations looked like an add-on and decided to do the layout on CAD to get all the lines as best I could so they didn’t look like an add-on.

As I didn't want resin dripping all over the place when I took the “splash”, I didn’t want to remove the arch and seeing how i have take the molds “splashes” outdoors, it was a challenge to figure out a way to neatly takes casts. After trying a different materials and techniques,I finally figured it out. I came up with a method using a polyurethane prepreg that doesn’t drip and cures pretty quick in marginal temp. It’s a lot more expensive than regular fiberglassing, but for this project it seems to be working pretty well,. I don’t have to use wax and release agents on my boat or rally have littelto no prep to my boat the way I’ve done it. I simply put a barirer on it and start making the “splash” of the arch.

Theres a a long way to go,but hopefully this gives you a glimpse into my insanity. Lol.

~BJ
                  BJ
                  OMEGA

Comment

well... im impressed!

it sounds like you have done this kind of thing before

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY
                    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I haven’t done this exact thing before, no, but I have dabbled with fiberglass a bit, though. .Some think I am a bit crazy, as I take on things that I haven’t tried before or others haven’t tried... I'm an electrical engineer by trade, but have found there’s little that can’t be done if I put my mind to it... i like to think of somthing Einstein once said... “I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.”
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

BJ i’m Envious of your passion and experiments. Though I also think you may just be slightly crazy. In a good way just thought i’d Mention. There is a 5788 in Elliot bay that has an extended hull. Hydraulic swim platform and extended fly bridge with hardtop. Apparently it was all custom built when new and never really used much after that. It’s quite a sight. Just thought if you weren’t aware it might be worth a look at for inspiration if it’s still there, that was a few months ago now.
                        BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                        5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                        Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Nice cad drawing BJ! Please explain what a "splash" is? From your usage of the term it seems to be the making of a mold or casting? I've never worked with fiberglass either but I am intrigued. I really like the idea of doing modifications with a factory look.
                          Tony Bacon,
                          Washougal, WA
                          Caspian
                          1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

I suspect you will have more than a couple thousand in materials when all done.

I did my tops for my boat as well (Cockpit and bridge).

I highly recommend paint instead of gelcoat - the mold doesn't have to be as good, and the paint washes up so much better because it is less pourous than the gelcoat.

Are the moveable bits going to be rigid or more like a convertible/rag top?
                            1989 3888
                            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

• igiftmon
                              igiftmon commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I’d love to see pics of your tops....

BJ

There is a 5788 in Elliot bay that has an extended hull. Hydraulic swim platform and extended fly bridge with hardtop. Apparently it was all custom built when new and never really used much after that. It’s quite a sight. Just thought if you weren’t aware it might be worth a look at for inspiration if it’s still there, that was a few months ago now.

That 5788 belonged to a Vancouver fellow, and the cockpit extension was carried out in Reed Point Marina (my home marina). The hull was not extended, but there were lots of other modifications carried out, including a great looking hardtop, big patio door and a complete remodel of the interior. It was originally called 'Hydrogene', then renamed 'Running with Scissors' after it was sold, and then I believe it was resold and became 'Captains Cove'

I have a photo of the boat, but have no clue how to post it on the new site
                            Rob
                            Bayliner 5788
                            'Merlin V'
                            Vancouver BC

Comment

• igiftmon
                              igiftmon commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the information...I always wondered it’s genus.....

~BJ
                          Working...
                          X