Still lookin' for 38xx...Northeast...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still lookin' for 38xx...Northeast...

Some of you might remember me introducing myself as being a prospective buyer for a 38xx.

Well, it's been many months and I have not found one without some serious issues in one way or another. For example, missing lower station controls, spongy flybridge floor, wobbly radar arch, missing salon wet bar, fridge needs replaced, missing stove, starboard aft corner of salon floor dropped 2-3 inches, BAD spider cracks topside, badly pitted hardware (controls, stanchions, cleats, etc)...no radar, cheap or no navigation instruments...just examples, but pretty complete list over 6-7 boats.

Prices vary from 57,900 repowered with Cummins or Yanmars down to 34,900 for gas/454's... One owner just kept removing whatever started to fail. Another replaced teak trim with Lowes plastic trim... And it seemed the higher the price, the worse the shape...CHEEEZ... And, of course, none of the brokers know of their engine maintenance history (Hino's) and they can't get the owners to discuss/meet with me to get history. One of the boats obviously had flybridge floor issues but it looked like they poured epoxy to level it out like leveling cement. And since it had no glass in it, it's all cracked...

I'm thinking I'm not being too picky...but maybe your own experiences could push me over the edge on one of these... Yachtworld has been my primary source for 38's...

I would like to be in a 38xx for this next season (I'm in the Northeast)...

Couple of questions...(1) am I being too picky...? (2) you guys know of any 38xx's for sale...?

Have ad will travel...as long as I can transport the boat to New York Harbor area by water after purchase, I'll go look at it... That means the entire East Coast...

Thanks in advance...
    1988 3888
    Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
    Onan 8.0

Just curious, was the boat with the flybridge deck issues located in Lanoka Harbor NJ?
    1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
    Hino 175's
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    MMSI# 338312097

Comment

Originally posted by DVF2001 View Post
      Just curious, was the boat with the flybridge deck issues located in Lanoka Harbor NJ?
      Two boats with similar issue...one in Lanoka Harbor, the other in Long Island... The floor in the one in Lanoka Harbor didn't bother me as much and we're likely to take another look at it. That boat was probably in the best shape we'd looked at but needed some components...fridge, ice maker, etc...

There's two in Lanoka Harbor...one is gas...

Do you know the boat...?
      1988 3888
      Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
      Onan 8.0

Comment

I just bought one in Lanoka Harbor with Hino's in October. The Flybridge deck has epoxy on it that is cracked because they didn't use fiberglass cloth. I plan on glassing the deck in the spring. The ice maker is gone but that's ok with me because I plan to change the cabinet and counter-top anyway. The fridge works fine and the boat survey and sea trial went very well so I'm hoping I made a good choice. Good luck with the search.
        1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
        Hino 175's
        Lanoka Harbor, NJ
        MMSI# 338312097

Comment

Well then...I guess we wont be looking at it again...

You made a good buy...best of luck with it...

1988 3888
          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
          Onan 8.0

Comment

It’s really hard to find a near perfect 20+ year old anything. That said, what types of things are acceptable to you? I certainly agree, for myself, that the ones you passed on are probably ones that I also would have. But that’s us. Ours is a 1988 with Hinos that had 3400 or so hours on them. One had been rebuilt due to a failed manicooler and the risers were new due to one failing on the other engine. The flybridge deck and radar arch had been repaired and the survey noted a couple of small areas of stringer delamination. Since purchasing I’ve done a fairly long list of deferred maintenance corrections, some personal stuff and a few upgrades totaling $7000 or so so far in supplies only. All the labor is me. It’s kind of perverse entertainment for a retired guy.
            Something to think about, with the radar arch and flying bridge removed and stored on the front deck, they move by truck very easily. So you may want to expand your search. 38’s in the Pacific Northwest are popular and good ones are more expensive than the comparable boat on the east coast, but the right boat may be worth it.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I'm trying to find somebody to replace a leaky water tank and while they are there replace the holding tank.
              I'm also trying to find an adequate way to carry a dinghy. 1988 3818 , but I like the layout.
              Its hard to find somebody who knows what they are doing in eastern Iowa on the Mississippi.

Comment

Nick,
                take a look at this boat: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.WnO7pMqIahA

its not exactly in your backyard BUT I know this boat. It’s 3 Dock’s away from mine. The owner is a fellow BOCer and takes very good care of this boat! This boat is nicely equipped with autopilot, water maker, hard top, inverter, engine synchronizer and more. I don’t know the cost to transport it but if you’d some adventure you could truck it to the gulf coast somewhere then run her around. What a great trip!

FWIW, I am not involved in the sale of this boat in any way other than I know the owner and have been aboard. This boat is not junk at all IMHO.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

• Jeffw
                  Jeffw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Jim...

I don't think you're being too picky. I just bought a fixer upper 3870 through yachtworld for $34K USD and while it needs a lot of cosmetic work, I pulled the trigger on it because I felt it has good bones. We saw a couple of boats that were priced much higher that looked like they were in even worse shape. Some people do not price things fairly, you just have to walk away from those ones shaking your head. I wouldn't get super hung up over cabinetry mods like ice makers and blenders, those are easy work-arounds as long as the price is fair, but soft floors and major mechanical problems are not something you want to get stuck with. I think you'll find transporting one of these boats across the country just doesn't make financial sense, you need to find one reasonable close to where you are. I'm not a patient person myself but I guess my advice is to be patient.

Comment

Yeah too picky, or you haven't seen enough boats yet. They all have issues. Issues with mine I bought 2.5 years ago.

1. Corner salon teak rot (very common)

2. Port salon where the blinds screw wood is bad (happens to a lot)

3. Arch has some bad wood. This is something I'll probably never fix even if I sell it. It seems fine, and I'm not hanging from it so....

4. Spider cracks in gel coat. Typical. Have some on the bow non skid as its a darker color

5. Replaced one manicooler, and noticed the other day I lost 1/2 gal antifreeze in port motor and its not leaking externally. That's another $5k, but was going to do anyways.

But most of the $$$ I've put in was for upgrades not for maint. We installed 2 new Raritan sea/fresh toilets (best improvement). Installed inverter and GC batts, Wall mount TV's, dinghy lift, and the list goes on and on.

But I could have just used the dang thing and put fuel in it so depends on what you want to do. I enjoy tinkering as much as cruising.
                  1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

I am in the same boat as you so to speak, I have been looking for a good 38xx for a little over a year here in the northwest. I have bid on 1 boat in that time frame and I was outbid. I want a boat that when I look at it I feel confident that I can head up an down the west coast from Alaska to Mexico. As I look at this model boat I have decided that I must have Hino's, Should I keep an open mind and consider the Mitsubishi an acceptable power plant? What else should I watch for or avoid on the 38XX? Is the 38xx an acceptable boat to run off the coast of Oregon and Washington including going over the Columbia river bar.

Comment

• Ahaua
                      Ahaua commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Grego, look at Jim Gandee's post above, which includes a link to a 38 for sale.

• Grego
                      Grego commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the heads up Ahaua, I looked at the listing, looks like a nice well maintained boat. I was hoping I could find a boat in Portland or the Puget Sound. The best boats I have viewed up here are stored under cover. I worry a little about sun damage from a California boat and many of them do not have the features and add-ons that are popular in the northwest. I have never owned a big boat so I have first time buyer jitters, and I have noticed that many many yachts sit on the market for over a year, I don't want to buy the wrong boat because it will be harder to sell than it was to find.

Grego,
                    i would not consider the Mitts due to parts availability and the bigger fact that with them the boat is to underpowered in my opinion.
                    As far as Alaska to Mexico, I believe it certainly can be done safely as long as you’re willing to wait for good conditions. Last year I helped my buddy reposition his 3988 from Portland to Seattle. The sea was glass, including the bar, you could have done it in a row boat.
                    Jim Gandee
                    1989 3888
                    Hino 175's
                    Fire Escape
                    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Don't rule out the Great Lakes, the Erie Canal is an awesome ride.
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 210's

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback...sorry it took so long to acknowledge your responses...see quoted replies below...
                        1988 3888
                        Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                        Onan 8.0

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                          It’s really hard to find a near perfect 20+ year old anything. That said, what types of things are acceptable to you? I certainly agree, for myself, that the ones you passed on are probably ones that I also would have. But that’s us. Ours is a 1988 with Hinos that had 3400 or so hours on them. One had been rebuilt due to a failed manicooler and the risers were new due to one failing on the other engine. The flybridge deck and radar arch had been repaired and the survey noted a couple of small areas of stringer delamination. Since purchasing I’ve done a fairly long list of deferred maintenance corrections, some personal stuff and a few upgrades totaling $7000 or so so far in supplies only. All the labor is me. It’s kind of perverse entertainment for a retired guy.
                          Something to think about, with the radar arch and flying bridge removed and stored on the front deck, they move by truck very easily. So you may want to expand your search. 38’s in the Pacific Northwest are popular and good ones are more expensive than the comparable boat on the east coast, but the right boat may be worth it.
                          Thank you, Pete...exactly right...I can live with replacing certain components...fridge, stove, sinks, hardware, etc...what I prefer not living with is spongy floors, large cracks in gelcoat topside (I probably should not have called them "spider cracks"), poorly maintained engines, damaged interior due to unmaintained leaks...basically, those things that could have been maintained. And certainly when these kinds of things are combined with higher-priced boats. I wouldn't mind any of these things for the lower priced boats.

The lower priced boats more had indications of poorly maintained engines or items that would require my absorbing the previous owner's lack of maintenance.

So basically, a boat with a sound hull/body and well maintained Hino's would satisfy me.

I also do all my own work so parts is all I need...
                          1988 3888
                          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                          Onan 8.0

Comment

Working...
                          X