Type IV options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type IV options

My type IV throwing ring on our 3818 is in pretty rough shape and I need to replace it with something. I know I can use a horseshoe or ring, but from what I’m reading they are only required for commercial vessels of my size. What I’m reading, and feel like I’m missing something, is that a throwable type IV cushion meets the regulation. Am I really missing something? I understand that I can go over a cushion, the question is, does it meet the USCG requirement of at 38’ boat?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Yes it does,
    throwable devices must be immediately available for use within arm's reach.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

As per Boat US Foundation.

Type IV – Throwable Device:

Intended Use:
      A Type IV is designed to be thrown to an overboard victim or to supplement the buoyancy of a person overboard. It is not to be worn. Minimum buoyancy: 16.5 lbs. for ring buoy or 18 lbs. for boat cushion.

Additional Information:
      A Type IV throwable device can be a square style, or a ring buoy or horseshoe buoy mounted on deck.

A Type IV is not for unconscious persons, non-swimmers or children. Although these devices are often referred to as seat cushions, you should never use it as such. This degrades the foam and reduces the amount of floatation that is provided.

NOTE - Type IV devices must be IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE for use. You must have one at arm's length to throw over the side in an emergency. Having one in a locker under the driver's seat isn't considered "immediately available."
      1987 3870 "Stella Maris"
      Hino 175's
      Lanoka Harbor, NJ
      MMSI# 338312097

Comment

Thanks for confirming what I was seeing. I couldn’t figure out why the boat has a throwing ring, then realized it was a charter boat it its first life.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

The rings usually have a nicer appearance when in the hanger for them. But the square cushions work too. I had one with a 50' length of 3/8" nylon rope on it with the other end tied to an eye on the bulkhead. It wasn't pretty but it served the purpose. When I found a like new used white ring for $30 I switched it out. I think the white ring with "Mr. Darcy" written on it looks much better than the old faded orange cushion. As a point of interest, once a few years back a friend and I were in his 16' runabout with out a throwable device as in cushion or ring. But we did have an empty plastic gas can. The deputy let us go without a citation because the empty gas can was a floating and throwable device. Not sure the CG would have seen it the same or not, but it worked for us that time.

Greg
          Newport, Oregon
          South Beach Marina
          1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
          Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
          Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
          X