No announcement yet.

Bad Fuel 3270

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing some people are unaware of is that the hose fitting on the dip tube might have a check valve in it. When I was having fueling issues this was point out to me by the tank manufacturers support group. they couldn't tell me if there was one or not because they ship the tank without a fitting and the boat builder supplies the style they want.
    Future 4788 Owner
    Charleston, S.C.

Comment

it absolutely needs a check valve on there too. Easy enough to test to see if that's the problem.

Comment

So I went and checked out the fuel filters and this is what I pulled out of them. I replaced them again. There was no water that I could see. Should I keep swapping filters until all the debris is removed? What do you guys recommend now knowing that it is debris and not water.
        1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s
        Santa Barbara, California

Comment

So i was really hoping that changing fuel filters multiple times would work out the bad fuel. Doesn't seem to work. I have now gone through 4. Each one coming back a little less dirty then the first. I am going to look at the check valve filter at the top of the tank. My question thought is how do I get to that? It is the port tank and seems to be way forward on the tank and under the deck. Any advice would be great. Thanks
          1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

Pump it out then dump
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

You can always get someone to come in and polish the fuel. Cost some money but if you have a decent amount of fuel in there it pays to get it done.
              Future 4788 Owner
              Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Well I don't think the fuel is causing the issue. I replaced the fuel filter then left the harbor and ran the engine up. With in 5 seconds of the RPMs reaching 3000 the engine cut out. I checked the fuel filter and it wasn't that dirty. So I am almost certain something else is cutting off the fuel supply when the demand increases. The engine runs fine below 2000 RPMs. So I want to check the fuel intake line/filter but not sure how to get to it since it is under the deck.
                1985 3270 w/ volvo 305s

Comment

If you have the same set-up as I have with my Volvo 305s, there are three levels of filtration.
                  1- a water separator near the bilge (that looks like an oil filter)
                  2- a cartridge filter on the front starboard side of the engines (not easy to access the starboard one from the aft cabin)
                  3- a mesh filter on each carburator
                  I would get rid of the gas and renew all filters.
                  I learned that on my first season with the boat...
                  CapMartin, Montr├®al
                  "Belle de Dalhousie"
                  1986 3270
                  Volvo BB225B

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	33271_255x209.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	416654Click image for larger version

Name:	33226.jpg
Views:	1