3988 original battery set-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 original battery set-up

Brochures from both 1997 and 2001 3988's state original equipment as: Batteries, (3), 225-amp, 105-amp, 85-amp. However the brochures might be for gas engines. A couple of us are curious what might have been original equipment for Cummins. Mine was originally (4) a 225-amp 8D for each engine, a 225-amp 8D house and a Group 24 85-amp genny. The question is, what did the factory provide? Like mine, like the brochure? Tough to know what a dealer might have altered.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

When I picked up my 2000 with 330's it came from the factory exactly as you described (3) 8d's and a group 24 or 27. I had the dealer install another 8d on the house bank. The only thing that was wrong from the factory is they had the props on the wrong shafts which was easily fixed.
    Brad & Michelle
    Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
    1993 3688 "the Kraken"
    Hino W06 250HP
    14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
    Moored at Shelter Bay
    LaConner, WA

Comment

After removing the stuff that was packed in the lazaretes for transportation I found a 3rd battery. The inventory now stands at two 8D batteries, one each in the cockpit lazaretes. and a 3rd battery, a 4d sitting in an 8d box located starboard in the space between the engine bay and the cockpit lazarete.

I will stray a bit off of the initial subject of this post into wiring. First is only a slight tangent regarding the charger. There is a Promariner 30amp charger located in the stbd lazarete somewhat below the battery switches. According to the DC monitoring gauge as I move the switch I get readings on Port, Stbd and House. Port reports fully charged but Stbd and House (conspicuously the same) read 12 volts. I just realized I should have checked with my multi-meter at the battery posts to help sort it out. The appearance is that the charger is only charging the port start battery. What is also curious is how the batteries were being charged before I took ownership.

This boat has a Trace 2500 inverter/charger with the remote at the electrical panel. I have no experience with these things. I wonder if switching it on might charge the batteries or is it wired only to the genset output for charging?

The bigger tangent is the original dc wiring Bayliner used. I've replaced and rewired the aft and forward bilge pumps, mid-ship pumps are next. Stripping the original boat wire I see non-tinned wire that is also somewhat corroded. Did Bayliner use non-tinned wire throughout? I see a lot of rewiring somewhere in my future.
      Last edited by Bacon; 02-01-2018, 06:30 AM. Reason: editing for readability
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian
      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Brad answered the question for 3988's in Post 2. Looks like the brochure is for gassers and my/Brad's set-up was for Cummins. I believe earlier 3988's with Hinos had one 8D to start both Hinos, one as house and one for the genny. Many have changed their Cummins set-up to 4D's or Golf Carts or ??. I changed mine to one 8D to start both engines and GC's for the house. Now one engine charges the starting and the other charges the house.

Tony's questions deserve their own 3788 thread, but no, Bayliner didn't use automotive non-tinned wire. The brochure says the 3788 came with 2 x 105-amp which are group 27's and probably for gassers. Likely one for starting and one for house. The 2500 Trace was an after factory add-on and only an inspection will reveal how creative the installation was. The Pro-Mariner is factory supplied. You can Google ABYC wiring for gauge and color codes to compare to your own wiring. Here is one source: http://www.marinewireandcable.com/p/...lor-codes.html

Comment

Uncle Bob, as we discussed via pvt. messages, my understanding is that my 2001 39, with twin cummins 330s, (have pre heaters), originally came with 4 batteries. Each engine had an 8D for starting, due to the pre heaters, one 8D for house and a small battery, (I believe group 24), for the generator. The previous owner downsized the two 8D starting batteries to 4Ds. In regards to locations, there is one 4D in the lazarette, port side, one 4D on the port side forward of the fuel tank and the 8D house battery is port side as you enter the engine room. The generator battery is in the lazarette, port side, next to the generator. Each battery has it's own switch in the engine room.
          Alex
          Orange County, Ca.
          2001 3988
          Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Hey Alex, I've learned over the years there is no need for pre-heats to require a battery for each engine. My house and genny batteries are outboard of the port engine freeing the lazarette for such good stuff as a watermaker. Glad you asked the questions and glad to have someone to exchange these conversations with. Regards, Bob

Comment

Uncle Bob.......Thats the great thing about this forum.....we all learn and can share information.
              Alex
              Orange County, Ca.
              2001 3988
              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

I agree with you guys. Forums like these provide a wealth of experience gained knowledge beneficial to all. It is especially useful to be as I become aquainted with my new boat.
                Tony Bacon,
                Washougal, WA
                Caspian
                1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

"
                  but no, Bayliner didn't use automotive non-tinned wire"

While changing some instruments recently, I noticed that my 2002 Bayliner 3988 used non-tinned wire on the engine harnesses which, I am sure, are original..
                  Chuck
                  2002 3988 / Cummins 330s
                  Los Angeles

Comment

Working...
                  X