Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: Original Onan Generator

Hi guys...
    Heading down to Hilton Head this weekend for the last set of repairs before she is transported back to Lake Lanier. I noticed that the genset was running very hot after about 10 minutes, my thought is bad impeller. Would like to grab one here in Atlanta before I run down this weekend. Would the 1989 4588 original Onan be the MDL3? in which case it was a Sherwood K75B pump and Sherwood 09959k impeller?

What model Onan do you have? I have an MDKD and I think I have a spare impeller on the boat and may be going there today. I can grab the number for you. For some reason it’s not in my list of parts I’ve identified and maybe replaced along with other than Oem parts.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

If you ever had a survey done on the boat the information about your genset, serial no for example should be listed there. Maybe you did have one done and have the report where you are?
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian
      1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

apparently it is an MDL3...impeller part: Sierra 18-3046

Comment

Yes the 1989 4550 came with an MDL3 12.5kw genset with the sherwood impeller you mentioned.Fair amount of work to change the impeller. You will have to take off the mounting bracket and take it apart to get at the impeller. I recently converted mine to a jabsco pump with a downstream filter to prevent pump vanes from breaking off and entering the heat exchanger. jim

Comment

P/C Pete, where do you source parts for your MDKD. I have the 8KW MDKD and so far the only thing I can find online is an oil filter. I see maintenance kits on ebay that have everything I need but the description indicates for T or U, I think what I have is a B. Other than oil filter nothing I've found matches the part numbers listed in the Onan parts manual.
            Tony Bacon,
            Washougal, WA
            Caspian
            1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

When we had our 490, the source for Onan parts was the Cummins dealer, and they can help on part numbers if you quote a serial number. Once you find the part number for the raw water pump, there are lower cost parts sources than the Onan Greenline genuine parts.
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

Bacon, I’ll get my list to you. I need to go to the boat to find the impeller part number off the package.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                X