Swim step staples (handrails) and where to find some at a reasonable price

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim step staples (handrails) and where to find some at a reasonable price

I keep dreaming about having staples (handrails) installed on my swimstep. However, every time I think about getting some, I seem to run into a canundrum as to how to go about getting some. They aren’t anything that is a simple over the counter type purchase and the few places I have checked with seem to want a kings ransom to build some for me and or install them. I recently ran into a set of used ones, but even then, the guy wanted three thousand for them. Does anyone have a place that can build some without forcing me to sell my first born (though that might be a fair trade...lol), or maybe even know of someone who has a set used they might be interested in selling? Or?

Thanks,
    ~BJ
    OMEGA
    ​​​​​​​
    BJ
    OMEGA

I went through this process two years ago.
    One of the main manufacturers of staples is Tanner Manufacturing in Bellingham who I believe have standard sized products available or will build custom staples to order.

We had our staples built locally in Port Moody BC, but as we specified 2.5” mirror finish stainless tube, the actual tube took a while to source.
    After the installation we hired a guy to buff and polish them to a higher shine.

We have 3 staples with a 11” gap between them to enable us to squeeze through to get on or off the dinghy, or step on or off when stern-in to a dock.

The mounting sockets were also fabricated from high grade stainless steel, and we added a nylon liners to avoid metal to metal contact. We didn’t bother adding extra sockets to park a staple.

We also installed 1/4” bronze fittings in the base of the sockets for drainage with the intent of routing plastic tubes to a shower sump or similar.

Ball park pricing was about 3.5 boat units ($Cdn). If you need more info or photos, let me know.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

Comment

Swimplatforms.com offers handrail just not sure it will meet you needs but they do custom work.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

We have the P handle version from these people http://www.easyupswimhandles.com/ There is a pair of inserts over the ladder to get back on the boat. There are also a pair mounted mid platform to make it easy to get in and out of the dink. It's nice to be able to pull them off to free up the swim platform.
        Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Our staples on our 5788 came with the boat when we purchased it. If i find a receipt i will let you know where it was installed.

Anchor question: did you replace your anchor? At the boat show they (Rocna rep) stated the anchor in the 5788 is undersized and suggested we go to an 80lb vs. 66lbs. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the info if you find it.

It’s funny you mention an anchor... I replaced my anchor with a larger stainless and have been happy with it, except to say the size exceeds the stainless shield In the front of the boat. The other thing I haven’t really liked is the fact the anchor rollers don’t really fit the anchor either. As such, I am replacign both of them. I am increasing to size of my shield about 3inches all the way around,except at th very top. It seems that’s about the biggest you can go before running into some challenges in forming it to fit the contour of the hull nicely. Any bigger gets looking funny, too...at least I think so... I am also replacing my anchor rollers with an articulate roller that makes rtreaval easier and will keep the anchor a bit further away from the boat...

I hope this helps...

~BJ
            BJ
            OMEGA

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
              I went through this process two years ago.
              One of the main manufacturers of staples is Tanner Manufacturing in Bellingham who I believe have standard sized products available or will build custom staples to order.

We had our staples built locally in Port Moody BC, but as we specified 2.5” mirror finish stainless tube, the actual tube took a while to source.
              After the installation we hired a guy to buff and polish them to a higher shine.

We have 3 staples with a 11” gap between them to enable us to squeeze through to get on or off the dinghy, or step on or off when stern-in to a dock.

The mounting sockets were also fabricated from high grade stainless steel, and we added a nylon liners to avoid metal to metal contact. We didn’t bother adding extra sockets to park a staple.

We also installed 1/4” bronze fittings in the base of the sockets for drainage with the intent of routing plastic tubes to a shower sump or similar.

Ball park pricing was about 3.5 boat units ($Cdn). If you need more info or photos, let me know.
              Thanks fo the info, Rob... do you,by chance, know how wide and tall your staples are? I was thinking of 34”x34”.... does size seem reasonable? Also,does Merlin V have that storage compartment in the swim step? I can’t remember.... if so, did you have any issue installing the sockets behind it?

Thanks again,
              BJ
              BJ
              OMEGA

Comment

I’ll be at the boat later today (Thursday) and I’ll measure the staples.
                Merlin does not have the swim step compartment, but I think trying to mount staple sockets behind one of those would be a real bear. Even without the compartment, I ended up hiring a guy to get into the inside of the platform to tighten the nuts on the through bolts for the sockets. I’m really claustrophobic, so all the money in the world wouldn’t get me going head first into that tight space.

I have a friend with a 580 who’s staples are bolted to the top of the swim platform (no sockets), but even then, there has to be a backing plate and then nuts on the inside.
                Rob
                Bayliner 5788
                'Merlin V'
                Vancouver BC

Comment

• igiftmon
                  igiftmon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the help, Rob...

I got lucky and mine came with boat. BJ I do have the storage in the Swim Step and they fit just fine, I love them, Makes the Sdmiral feel super safe on the boat. look great and they make a wonderful foot rest when we are chilling in a chair in the summer on the swim step :-)
                happy to take some measurements if you want?
                couple of pics..
                BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Those pictures help a lot, Simeon... thanks...

They look great and are exactly what I have been wanting for such a long time. Every time I see some like you or Rob have, I dream of the day of having some of my own. I would appreciate knowing the dimensions...e.g. how high and wide, along it’s tube diameter.... they look like they might be about 34”h x 34”w made from 2” tubing???

Thanks again,
                  BJ
                  BJ
                  OMEGA

Comment

On the boat tonight. Try to remember to measure

Comment

• igiftmon
                      igiftmon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, buddy

Hi BJ
                    You might give "Pacific Fabercation " in Anacortes,Wa. A call ....1-360-588-1078....Staples are one of the best items I've put on our boat.Good luck Brad
                    Brad & Sharon
                    Lady Jake
                    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Finally got to the boat today - here are the measurements of our staples.

Material is 3.5” diameter Mirror Finish Stainless Tube
                      Overal Width Center To Center - 32”
                      Overall Height to top of Staples (removed and standing on the dock) - 45”
                      Overall Height to top of Staples when mounted in sockets - 39”
                      Depth of Swimstep Sockets - 6”
                      Ends of Staples are welded and sealed so that they float

I hope this helps
                      Rob
                      Bayliner 5788
                      'Merlin V'
                      Vancouver BC

Comment

• igiftmon
                        igiftmon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Rob.... is that 3.5” or 2.5” diameter tubing you used?

Thanks,
                        BJ

Mine are 34” from the swim step to top and just short of 33” wide from outer edge to outer edge. Tubing is 2 inches measured from edge to edge.

Comment

Thank you soooo much Rob and Simeon... that helps me soooo much...

~BJ
                        BJ
                        OMEGA

Comment

Working...
                        X