New fresh water pump wiring 1992 3288

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fresh water pump wiring 1992 3288

I have installed a new fresh water pump ( vflo 5.0 ) and the wires coming off the pump are 12 ga. The original wiring is 18 ga to the old pump. I am going to upgrade the original wiring to 14 ga. Does anyone know the the routing or have a wiring diagram. I have a 1992 3288 Bayliner. I have a water switch in the galley and another switch in the aft cabin.
    EAGLE III
    1992 3288 Bayliner MY
    Victoria BC
    Jan

The two switches you describe don't do jack on my boat. There is a single switch on my dash that actually does work, so clearly someone either changed it or whatever. I can't imagine what the one in the aft cabin would be for, maybe you could turn the pump on from either location....who knows. I have always felt the sink down there was somewhat pointless.

Not helpful I know but my water pump is wired direct to the fuses under the lower helm and that switch I described.

Comment

I, too, have a switch in the galley and in the aft cabin. They are in parallel. As Bayliner is wont to do, the wiring is much too small -- one member posted that his water pump ran faster if both switches were on at the same time.

Replacing all the existing wiring would be difficult. I left the existing wiring intact but used it to activate a relay rather than the pump itself. The relay then turns the pump on and off. I ran all new, properly-sized wiring (#10) for the pump circuit that is activated by the relay.

The relay is Cole-Herse p/n RC-700112-NN-BX. I mounted it on the overhead near the pump and ran its wiring up to the fuses near the lower helm. I incorporated the pressure switch (part of the pump) into the circuit that activates the relay. See the url below for a wiring diagram. I couldn't get a pdf file to display by uploading it to BOC.

https://sites.google.com/site/lhboatinfo/home/fresh-water-pump-wiring

I used the same technique (i.e. relay) for the shower pump.
      100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Here is the wiring chart for the pump your installing. You will have to run at least a 14 gage wire
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
        5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Thanks lhighland for your schematic
          EAGLE III
          1992 3288 Bayliner MY
          Victoria BC
          Jan

Comment

If there isn't already a pressure tank in the water system, now would be a good time to install one. Pump life and the pressure switch life are greatly extended when using a pressure tank. There is a two gallon size tank on our 3270. It is mounted to the wall between the cave and the lower cabin bed. There was a "T" in the water line there so it was a logical place to install it. A stainless steel wrapped flexible lavatory sink connector was used to make the connection. The Qest pipe fittings are 1/2 inch NP. It took about 15 minutes to make the install. It will have to cycle a few times to become fully operational, at least this one did.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
            X