My first try at upholstery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
    I also have a phaff 545 but mine is crazy fast. To the point I have a hard time controlling it. I need to set mine up like the one in the video. I have it adjusted all the way out at the treddle and i can get it to go slow but if i lose concentration it takes off. It would be much easier if it just went slow.
    Both of my machines are digital servo drive. The clutch drives are too hard to control. My 545 has a 3:1 reduction pulley that increases the torque and reduces the speed to the point you can literally walk it back through a hole easily.

Sailrites are great machines. I only bought the Pfaff because my canvas guy had three of them and they're old German machines that have all-metal rears and housings. The owner at CH Holderby (Earnie) told me these old machines will all be sewing canvas long after we're all gone.

I actually tried twice to buy the one you see in the video. He sold it to someone else and then about a year later I got it from the guy you see in the video.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Originally posted by SomeSailor View Post

Both of my machines are digital servo drive. The clutch drives are too hard to control. My 545 has a 3:1 reduction pulley that increases the torque and reduces the speed to the point you can literally walk it back through a hole easily.

Sailrites are great machines. I only bought the Pfaff because my canvas guy had three of them and they're old German machines that have all-metal rears and housings. The owner at CH Holderby (Earnie) told me these old machines will all be sewing canvas long after we're all gone.

I actually tried twice to buy the one you see in the video. He sold it to someone else and then about a year later I got it from the guy you see in the video.
      I put the smallest pully on the engine and adjusted the treddle out as much as possible its controlable but im not that experienced. I saw some videos about adjusting some other things im going to try.. I would like to get a servo engine but not sure when i wohkd have time to retrofit all the new hardware.

as it was stock it was so fast it was completely uncontrollable for me.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Something I REALLY like about my Sailrite machine is that it is portable.

Since my boat is a 4 hour drive away, it is really handy to set the machine up on the boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY
        SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
          I would like to get a servo engine but not sure when i wohkd have time to retrofit all the new hardware.
          It's pretty simple. I have one on my merrowing machine also. They're digital so completely controllable for speed and torque. Just a lever to hook up to the treadle. The more you treadle, the faster it goes. They have preset "ramps" that you set that give you exponential control.

I have a Consew on the PFaff and and Enduro Pro on the Merrow.

I like the Enduro better because it has a programmable needle positioner. You "back treadle" to lift the needle, or "forward treadle" to set the needle. Really nice once you get used to it.

The Merrowing machine is a beast all on it's own though.

http://www.endurosaves.com/
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
          X