My first try at upholstery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first try at upholstery

Having made a nice cockpit enclosure, and drapes, it is time to take on the pilothouse upholstery.

I decided to do the cushion that goes in front of the door as my learning piece.

After several trial runs, and allot of wasted Vinyl I got the technique down this afternoon. I am 100% happy with the results and will be doing the rest of the cushions this week.

Of course this is a skill building process, and I’m sure that each cushion I make will improve a bit as I get down the concept of stretching and stapling.

I have a couple weeks off work and this is a great way to prep up for spring!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

That looks great, Kevin...

~BJ
    BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

Looking good!
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I got some good advice from an upholstery guy here when I bought my sewing machine. he said to buy a roll of craft paper and sew things with that to start. Cut your patterns and sew everything in heavy brown paper first and then you'll get a better idea of how the thing your making will look and work once dimensional. It works great. i do that all the time and make covers, seat skins, enclosures, etc.

I really enjoy it. What type of machine did you get Kevin?
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Originally posted by SomeSailor View Post
          I got some good advice from an upholstery guy here when I bought my sewing machine. he said to buy a roll of craft paper and sew things with that to start. Cut your patterns and sew everything in heavy brown paper first and then you'll get a better idea of how the thing your making will look and work once dimensional. It works great. i do that all the time and make covers, seat skins, enclosures, etc.

I really enjoy it. What type of machine did you get Kevin?
          Good idea!

I have a Sailrite Ulteafeed, the blue one.

Every project seems to be a learning experience. My cockpit enclosure was flat. It was a great way to learn flat sewing, and pattern making.

Three dimensional is of course different. With the Bayliner seats they put a seam on the sides but not the front. Also they used curve on the front and back which avoided a sharp corner.
          It actually would have been much easier if I would have just sewed with a seam all around the top. I thought about it and decided that OEM did it with no seam at the front for durability reasons it appears.

Then the biggie...With Vinyl there are no second chances. Sew it right the first time or start over.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Gives me hope. I just started on the flybridge cushions on our 3988.

Comment

Great job!!
              Tom and Jana
              1994 47’ - No Clue
              Camano Island, WA

Comment

Im doing some upholstery now. Not my first round but this time time is a lot more complicated. It has bolsters and stripes and it's u shaped. Should be fun. I'm about half way there.

yours looks good.
                1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

Since you "wasted so much" what basic tips do you have? I too have the blue sailrite whichever model that is.
                  1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

You can come do my boat if you need more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by fastinated View Post
                      Since you "wasted so much" what basic tips do you have? I too have the blue sailrite whichever model that is.
                      The wasting was at several levels

First, trying to get the curve at the front as opposed to a hard corner was dfficult. Too tight of a radius and the material bunches so much that you cannot cut enough slits in it to keep that from happening. I ended us using a can of green beans as the radius.

Then there was the seams that Bayliner OEM used. In the Oem version you can see a line of stitching plus there is the hidden stitching. Thet sewing twice type of seam is a real bugger. Once I became satisfied that a single seam was enough it was a game changer.

Lastly I fugured out that the really easy way to put everything together was to use basting tape. That way I was able to hold it together, including the corners making it 3D, and just carefully sew it.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                        I have a Sailrite Ulteafeed, the blue one.
                        Mine is a 1987 Pfaff 545 HiLift. They're hard to find these days. The guy before me was sewing holsters with it. It's crazy strong and youd better keep your hand clear.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Originally posted by SomeSailor View Post

Mine is a 1987 Pfaff 545 HiLift. They're hard to find these days. The guy before me was sewing holsters with it. It's crazy strong and youd better keep your hand clear.

I also have a phaff 545 but mine is crazy fast. To the point I have a hard time controlling it. I need to set mine up like the one in the video. I have it adjusted all the way out at the treddle and i can get it to go slow but if i lose concentration it takes off. It would be much easier if it just went slow.
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

THose look like really strong machines!

I bought mine from Sailrite really because I knew nothing about sewing machines but trusted Sailrite because of their great reputation online and at our harbor. It seems that sail boat people are very resourceful DIY types and every one of them seems t have a Sailrite machine and loves it.

This afternoon I’ll be taking on the next cushon. Now that I have the process down the rest will go fairly quickly.

Probably this weekend I’ll be sewing up a new bimini top. I have the old one here for a pattern. In the new one I’ll be sewing on zippers so that I can finish up the full flybridge enclosure in the spring/summer.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

I'm sure the sailrite machines are sufficient. Lots of people have them. Sailrite also has a ton of YouTube educational videos on line if you didnt know that.

you mentioned the 2 sided basting tape. That works good but be sure you are sewing well beyond it. Other wise you'll get a sticky mess at the seams. Stapling the pieces together also works well but nee.to pull the staples afterwards.
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X