X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmichellich
    replied
    Originally posted by Brianvaughn View Post
    Hi, this is my first post and I’ll thank you in advance for your thoughts. I own a 2002 3988 with twin Cummins 330’s. I recently installed a hardtop from boater discount center with the hopes of adding a davit crane to store my zodiac yachtline 340 on the hardtop. The hardtop has additional support to carry the nearly 700 pounds my dinghy weighs but I’m wondering if this is a good idea to store up top. Any input on how the additional weight will affect a squatty rear or top heavy feel would be appreciated. Clearly both will be exaggerated but by how much?
    You will be putting a lot of weight on the stern. Is dinghy balanced bow to stern to keep your boat from leaning? Talk to hardtop mfg and see if it for sure will hold the weight. Also find out how many square inches the chocks must be spread over. I know of one Boater Discount hardtop that had a Weaver tripod chock break thru in rough water.

Leave a comment:

• Brianvaughn
    replied
    The Davit was from Nick Jackson Davits. It's rated at 1000 pounds and I caught a boat show special for $3300, The davit was a very simple install and I'm very pleased with the fit and finish. If I slide it back any further the dinghy will block the ladder access to the fly bridge so that's as good as it'll get. If I did it again I'd probably opt for a smaller dinghy but once you cruise around in a console unit like this you'll never wanna go back to a traditional dinghy with a tiller where you sit on the tube. It's not optimal because of the overhang but it's not that bad and everything in boating is a compromise right?

Leave a comment:

• fastinated
    replied
    What kind of davit crane is that. Since you gave the $$ of the hardtop care to say what that was. I've seen some on 38's bow's that cost 10k for the crane!

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    I think I would scoot it back a bit to center up when stowed and not have it sticking out like that. It isn't ideal but it really isn't that hard to push it back and lower at the same time.

Coming in to raft off of an Aft Cabin or alongside a piling and that would be begging to get hit and not where you typically will be looking as you are docking up.

Leave a comment:

• Brianvaughn
    replied
    I’ve finally completed the install. I’m happy with the setup although this dinghy may be a bit large. We overhang nearly a foot on the starboard side. The top from Boaters Discount Center fits great and was an easy install. Same experience with the Nick Jackson davit, excellent product and easy to install. I fabricated a custom chock system that ties together the fly bridge structure to the hardtop while distributing the weight over a large area. I haven’t been out to sea yet but I’ll share my experience when we do.

Leave a comment:

• noah2858
    replied
    I had the hardtop shipped to Florida had the lighting package and top rails with shipping was $6300 install with rails was only about 5 hours 3 guys. Great fit and finish. I think the cost was about $5600. If you do have it shipped plan on having about four people to get it off the truck. Hope this helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	409122

Leave a comment:

• Ahaua
    commented on 's reply
    Please post some pictures and give us some details on what it took to install it yourself.......thanks!

• Ahaua
    replied
    Brian, I ended up going with a Rosskelly Olson type davit on my 39 and am really liking it so far; it was installed recently. In regards to dinghy weight, mine weighs just under 400 lbs. and the davit is rated for 500 lbs. My installer does fabricate a similar davit rated for 1000 lbs. I'm still able to walk between the transom and davit but have to duck under the winch cable and It's very easy to launch the dinghy off the swim step. I'm thinking of installing a hard top on my 39 and would love to be able to sit up there with a cocktail while taking in the sunshine without having the dinghy sitting there......just food for thought. Click image for larger version

Name:	Davit1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	409118

Leave a comment:

• Cap_Fury
    replied
    Getting it shipped and putting it on myself never occurred to me, I will give them a call and check on that option.

Leave a comment:

• Brianvaughn
    replied
    Gentlemen, the top was a great addition to my boat. I don’t want to mislead you guys on pricing because there are so many options. I suggest you call the folks at BDC to get an accurate quote. For instance I added electrical and lighting, added extra support for dinghy weight, paid for crating and shipping then installed myself. I also declined the multiple handrail options so my pricing was quite unique. The fit and finish of the top is excellent and installation was a piece of cake and I was able to complete the job in less than an afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    commented on 's reply
    Before inspiring fear in others - have you ever done the math?

In round numbers CG would move 2.5" with a 800# jetski 7ft above the existing CG. I am pretty confident that the 7ft assumption is probably more than it really is which would move it even less.

It matters but not as much as you would think. You have to remember the ski is in the range of 3-4% of total mass.

• Bay39
    replied
    Hello Brian and Welcome! I am planning to go through LaConner this summer as well and wondered what the current pricing installed of the hard-top. Thanks in advance. -Marc

Leave a comment:

• Cap_Fury
    replied
    Hi Brian and welcome to the site.

I am thinking of taking my 3988 down to 'boater discount center' this summer to get a hard top put on my cockpit.
    Do you mind if I ask how much the total bill was for that?

Leave a comment:

• rbcooper
    replied
    Ok guys. There is a place for anecdotal data and then there is a place for careful facts based considerations on modifications to ones boat. I suggest anyone thinking of modifying their vessels stability characteristics at least look at this video series to get a small idea of just what effect you might have on the designed stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0OqOCWEh4

it's 4 videos and worth a watch. If I was considering adding 700 lbs to the fly bridge deck on my boat, I would first do the stability calculations and if I wasn't able to, at least consult a reputable naval architect for advice. I have no real knowledge that the people responding to this thread will ever operate their vessels in the same conditions that I do. Therefore their experiences are interesting but would not be a deciding factor in my decision.

RB Cooper

Leave a comment:

• Dirtyface
    replied
    Originally posted by Brianvaughn View Post
    Hi, this is my first post and I’ll thank you in advance for your thoughts. I own a 2002 3988 with twin Cummins 330’s. I recently installed a hardtop from boater discount center with the hopes of adding a davit crane to store my zodiac yachtline 340 on the hardtop. The hardtop has additional support to carry the nearly 700 pounds my dinghy weighs but I’m wondering if this is a good idea to store up top. Any input on how the additional weight will affect a squatty rear or top heavy feel would be appreciated. Clearly both will be exaggerated but by how much?
    I had a 2000 39 with 330's and put 12' Novurania with 40hp which weighed a little over 800lbs (we actually weighed it at Rosskelley Ollson when I picked up the RS1 davit) and when the dinghy was on board the stern was approx 2" lower in the water. I did not have the hardtop which you have. IMHO, I would NOT put that heavy of a dinghy that high on the boat for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if you get into rough weather, the last place you will want that weight is 8'off the waterline. secondly, I believe you will not like launch/retrieve from the aft rear corner,, have you seen 45/47's launch a heavy dinghy? They lean a fair amount and are much heavier and a little wider than your 39 also their davit is mounted quite a bit farther forward than what you are suggesting. You could go with a smaller lighter dinghy but you will miss what you have now. If you have an Admiral...well, I'm betting she'll be less than happy. Sorry to be so negative but after having a large dinghy on a 39, I can't imagine doing what you're proposing. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. Brad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X