No announcement yet.

3988 hardtop dinghy storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve finally completed the install. I’m happy with the setup although this dinghy may be a bit large. We overhang nearly a foot on the starboard side. The top from Boaters Discount Center fits great and was an easy install. Same experience with the Nick Jackson davit, excellent product and easy to install. I fabricated a custom chock system that ties together the fly bridge structure to the hardtop while distributing the weight over a large area. I haven’t been out to sea yet but I’ll share my experience when we do.

Comment

I think I would scoot it back a bit to center up when stowed and not have it sticking out like that. It isn't ideal but it really isn't that hard to push it back and lower at the same time.

Coming in to raft off of an Aft Cabin or alongside a piling and that would be begging to get hit and not where you typically will be looking as you are docking up.
      1989 3888
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

What kind of davit crane is that. Since you gave the $$ of the hardtop care to say what that was. I've seen some on 38's bow's that cost 10k for the crane!
        1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

The Davit was from Nick Jackson Davits. It's rated at 1000 pounds and I caught a boat show special for $3300, The davit was a very simple install and I'm very pleased with the fit and finish. If I slide it back any further the dinghy will block the ladder access to the fly bridge so that's as good as it'll get. If I did it again I'd probably opt for a smaller dinghy but once you cruise around in a console unit like this you'll never wanna go back to a traditional dinghy with a tiller where you sit on the tube. It's not optimal because of the overhang but it's not that bad and everything in boating is a compromise right?

Comment

Originally posted by Brianvaughn View Post
            Hi, this is my first post and I’ll thank you in advance for your thoughts. I own a 2002 3988 with twin Cummins 330’s. I recently installed a hardtop from boater discount center with the hopes of adding a davit crane to store my zodiac yachtline 340 on the hardtop. The hardtop has additional support to carry the nearly 700 pounds my dinghy weighs but I’m wondering if this is a good idea to store up top. Any input on how the additional weight will affect a squatty rear or top heavy feel would be appreciated. Clearly both will be exaggerated but by how much?
            You will be putting a lot of weight on the stern. Is dinghy balanced bow to stern to keep your boat from leaning? Talk to hardtop mfg and see if it for sure will hold the weight. Also find out how many square inches the chocks must be spread over. I know of one Boater Discount hardtop that had a Weaver tripod chock break thru in rough water.
            Started boating 1965
            Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
            X