3988 hardtop dinghy storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 hardtop dinghy storage

Hi, this is my first post and I’ll thank you in advance for your thoughts. I own a 2002 3988 with twin Cummins 330’s. I recently installed a hardtop from boater discount center with the hopes of adding a davit crane to store my zodiac yachtline 340 on the hardtop. The hardtop has additional support to carry the nearly 700 pounds my dinghy weighs but I’m wondering if this is a good idea to store up top. Any input on how the additional weight will affect a squatty rear or top heavy feel would be appreciated. Clearly both will be exaggerated but by how much?

Hi Brianvaughn and welcome to the site. I mounted a 800lb j.et-ski on the bow of my 3870 and a lot of people here did not like that idea. But it has worked very well for me. The concern was having the extra weight that high up off the water. You are talking about putting it up even higher.
    Just love being on my 3870............Bill
    1985 3870
    Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
    Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
    Live on board full time.
    North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I don’t have a 3988, but many of my buddies do. They all tend to be a bit stern heavy, adding a 700lbs dinghy to the stern on a davit or on the roof, might put your swim platform very close to the water when running. I know later 3988’s had the swim platform raised, yours being one of the last made will have had it raised at the factory. Having a davit up there will mean you can only lower it from one side, not sure if that’s a consideration. On my 4087, I went with a Ross Kelly Olsson davit system, 1 min in, 1min recovery, but it takes up all the swim platform.
      1996 4087 Lazy Days
      2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
      2011 Porsche Cayman
      2010 Lexus IS 250C
      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will keep you posted on how it turns out. It is a 3 week lead time on the davit crane so I should have a better idea in a month. Worse case scenario I’ll downgrade the dinghy to a lighter non console rib but I hope it doesn’t come to that. We really enjoy our YL 340 and even took it for a spin around the South Bay this morning to an old shipwreck that was used for bomber training in WW2.

Comment

Hi Brian
          Welcome to BOC....I've done a little research,first your Dinhgy,motor,fuel,battery,gear,will be over 700 lbs.did you talk to Rod at Doaters Discount about your plan,he should know as they've installed many hard tops on 39s...We keep our 12' AB on top as many 45s&47s do, I do not notice and extra squatting or being top heavy and out upper deck F/B should be very close to the same height.Are you planning to mount it across the width of hard top or lengthwise??lengthwise with engine going forward would be better less squatting.If you install the crane in Port aft corner and cradle it on Stb side you should be able to launch it off Port and off Stern (look at my Avatar)However I think your 430YL might be a bit too much up their,and if mounted on stern you might have to strengthen it,and I would recommend a Seawise davit.....Good luck Brad
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks for the input Brad. I plan on mounting the crane on the rear port corner of the top and securing the dinghy perpendicular to the main boat. The engine will be at the starboard edge of the top. I spoke with the folks at BDC when ordering the top and they seemed supportive of the plan with no suggestions other than a third stanchion which we installed. I dont think the top is long enough to support the dinghy safely if I turned it 90 degrees to go inline with the boat. The top is only 5'-6" or so long which would result in more than half the dinghy cantilevering over the back. I will post pics as this project progresses and if its an unsafe setup then I'll swap the dinghy with a lighter choice. Shouldn't be to hard to rehome the one I have!
            Thanks, Brian

Comment

I have seen more than a few that have done similar with 11-12ft RIB's, also seen Jet-Ski on a 39.

Lots of naysayers here but more than a few data points say it works, is there some point where that extra mass would be bad absolutely, as a pleasure boater the odd of actually being out in those conditions are almost miniscule.
              1989 3888
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianvaughn View Post
                Hi, this is my first post and I’ll thank you in advance for your thoughts. I own a 2002 3988 with twin Cummins 330’s. I recently installed a hardtop from boater discount center with the hopes of adding a davit crane to store my zodiac yachtline 340 on the hardtop. The hardtop has additional support to carry the nearly 700 pounds my dinghy weighs but I’m wondering if this is a good idea to store up top. Any input on how the additional weight will affect a squatty rear or top heavy feel would be appreciated. Clearly both will be exaggerated but by how much?
                I had a 2000 39 with 330's and put 12' Novurania with 40hp which weighed a little over 800lbs (we actually weighed it at Rosskelley Ollson when I picked up the RS1 davit) and when the dinghy was on board the stern was approx 2" lower in the water. I did not have the hardtop which you have. IMHO, I would NOT put that heavy of a dinghy that high on the boat for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if you get into rough weather, the last place you will want that weight is 8'off the waterline. secondly, I believe you will not like launch/retrieve from the aft rear corner,, have you seen 45/47's launch a heavy dinghy? They lean a fair amount and are much heavier and a little wider than your 39 also their davit is mounted quite a bit farther forward than what you are suggesting. You could go with a smaller lighter dinghy but you will miss what you have now. If you have an Admiral...well, I'm betting she'll be less than happy. Sorry to be so negative but after having a large dinghy on a 39, I can't imagine doing what you're proposing. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. Brad

Brad & Michelle
                Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
                1993 3688 "the Kraken"
                Hino W06 250HP
                14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
                Moored at Shelter Bay
                LaConner, WA

Comment

Ok guys. There is a place for anecdotal data and then there is a place for careful facts based considerations on modifications to ones boat. I suggest anyone thinking of modifying their vessels stability characteristics at least look at this video series to get a small idea of just what effect you might have on the designed stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0OqOCWEh4

it's 4 videos and worth a watch. If I was considering adding 700 lbs to the fly bridge deck on my boat, I would first do the stability calculations and if I wasn't able to, at least consult a reputable naval architect for advice. I have no real knowledge that the people responding to this thread will ever operate their vessels in the same conditions that I do. Therefore their experiences are interesting but would not be a deciding factor in my decision.

RB Cooper

Comment

• kwb
                    kwb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Before inspiring fear in others - have you ever done the math?

In round numbers CG would move 2.5" with a 800# jetski 7ft above the existing CG. I am pretty confident that the 7ft assumption is probably more than it really is which would move it even less.

It matters but not as much as you would think. You have to remember the ski is in the range of 3-4% of total mass.

Hi Brian and welcome to the site.

I am thinking of taking my 3988 down to 'boater discount center' this summer to get a hard top put on my cockpit.
                  Do you mind if I ask how much the total bill was for that?
                  Greg
                  1999 Bayliner 3988
                  Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
                  Malaspina Strait, BC

Comment

Hello Brian and Welcome! I am planning to go through LaConner this summer as well and wondered what the current pricing installed of the hard-top. Thanks in advance. -Marc
                    MY 3988
                    M/V MMPOWRD
                    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Gentlemen, the top was a great addition to my boat. I don’t want to mislead you guys on pricing because there are so many options. I suggest you call the folks at BDC to get an accurate quote. For instance I added electrical and lighting, added extra support for dinghy weight, paid for crating and shipping then installed myself. I also declined the multiple handrail options so my pricing was quite unique. The fit and finish of the top is excellent and installation was a piece of cake and I was able to complete the job in less than an afternoon.

Comment

• Ahaua
                        Ahaua commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Please post some pictures and give us some details on what it took to install it yourself.......thanks!

Getting it shipped and putting it on myself never occurred to me, I will give them a call and check on that option.
                      Greg
                      1999 Bayliner 3988
                      Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
                      Malaspina Strait, BC

Comment

Brian, I ended up going with a Rosskelly Olson type davit on my 39 and am really liking it so far; it was installed recently. In regards to dinghy weight, mine weighs just under 400 lbs. and the davit is rated for 500 lbs. My installer does fabricate a similar davit rated for 1000 lbs. I'm still able to walk between the transom and davit but have to duck under the winch cable and It's very easy to launch the dinghy off the swim step. I'm thinking of installing a hard top on my 39 and would love to be able to sit up there with a cocktail while taking in the sunshine without having the dinghy sitting there......just food for thought. Click image for larger version

Name:	Davit1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	409118
                        Alex
                        Orange County, Ca.
                        2001 3988
                        Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

I had the hardtop shipped to Florida had the lighting package and top rails with shipping was $6300 install with rails was only about 5 hours 3 guys. Great fit and finish. I think the cost was about $5600. If you do have it shipped plan on having about four people to get it off the truck. Hope this helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	409122
                          Island Girl 2000 3988
                          Sarasota,Florida
                          There are worse places to be than on your boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X