Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both Manicoolers Removed, Need Any Pics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Manicoolers Removed, Need Any Pics?

EH700's. I removed the manicoolers this weekend for what I hope is an uneventful ceramic coating job I have some hoses I want to replace and rust and flaking paint I want to clean up and purdy-fi my motors

While they are out and I'm messing with them...if anyone would like any pictures of anything (motors or coolers), I'd be willing to snap a couple pics and post them to this thread. Just let me know!
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

I'd be interested in checking this out.. What is the cost for the coating? Just bought a boat that I will not get to see for a few months. It's been very well taken care of, but I know this will be something I'll be doing at some point. Love to get a preview for sure. Thank you in advance!!

Comment

I have to do the same thing as I have almost the identical boat. Did you take any photos of the process or have any helpful advice? How long did it take to get them off?

Thanks.
      David and Beth
      Seattle Area - Berthed in La Conner

1986 Bayliner 3870 "Hokey Pokey"

1995 SeaRay 20 Signature "Flapdoodle"
      1993 Bayliner 3058 "SeaYa"

Comment

Made a few video's about these sorts of things to show my family what I do in my spare time.

1985 3870 175hp Hino's

Comment

That’s an excellent video. I noted a bunch of rubber pieces in the front end of the bundle.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

That looks like FUUUUN!!!!! not... So hopefully if I ever have to remove those pigs, it's to get them out, cleaned, and coated so I never have to do it again.. lol..

Comment

I remived both manicoolers, had them ceramic coated, rodded out the bundles then replaced. It wasn’t technically difficult but it was labor intensive!
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

FWIW - the manicoolers come out without removing the mounting brackets. Please make sure you have isolation when installing the bundle back into the housing. The 'ramps' where the "O" ring gets compressed need to be completely clean and smooth. Check the coolant jacket near cyl 1 for erosion when it is apart.
                Northport NY

Comment

Fastinated, those videos are awesome!

I did not take and removal pictures because it takes time to do right and I was feeling the pinch. I've photo-doc truck repairs before and it is a pain and can add a few hours to the job. I think the starboard manifold (the Fun One!) took 4-5 hours for me to get it out. But that is with me taking breaks and just staring at the job thinking "wtf was I thinking"

The port manifold is much easier to get to and took 3 hours or so. Soak all the bolts in penetrating oil, and be prepared to snap a few off. I broke 6 per manifold. Once I get the broken pieces out I'm going to have them boiled and then examine them. I haven't had any issues with them to prompt pulling them other than this is a BIG preventative maintenance item I want to scratch off my list and the cooling system was pretty well neglected. Being that the boat was used gently and mostly in fresh water, I rolled the dice. Ironically, the only damage (so far) to the cooling system is the bolt on aluminum elbows and pipes for the cooling system to engine...they all have some bad pitting in them and 2 are weeping where the aluminum is eaten away. I'm going to attempt a repair with "muggy weld" and a torch. Cost I was quoted locally is $486 per manifold including plates and attached pipes gloss black 2000 degrees. I'm not sure if any old ceramic coating will do? is there a special ceramic coating for this type of job?
                  . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Working...
                  X