Bottom pairing options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom pairing options

I am preparing to haul and refurbish the bottom paint on my new to me 1985 Bayliner 3870. It was painted last summer by the previous owner and my pre-purchase haul out showed only minor flaking and no blisters or other obvious issues. I have seen endorsements in the forum for Pettit Hydrocoat HR and am leaning towards that. The yard plans to sand and will apply what I want, so think that a guard coat followed by 2 coats of a contrasting color would be optimum, although this sounds like a lot of paint but hopefully will get me 2-3 years before re-do...This boat cruises at around 12 knots, greater than most trawler speeds, and so am wondering if that might affect my paint choice. I keep the boat in water year round in the Carolinas but plan to cruise north to Maine and NY waters in the next year. I welcome any suggestions...

If your boat was hauled and painted last year why haul it out again?
    A good 2 coat bottom paint job with quality bottom paint should be good for 2-3 years.
    If there is grass growing under it have a diver clean it.
    I always use a high copper based bottom paint like INTERLUX ULTRA.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

On my last boat I used Seahawk. It cruised at 25kn and gave good service. In Washington copper bottom paint has been outlawed for pleasure boats. Yes, pleasure boats only, go figure. I used the barrier coat (yellow) after sanding the years copper buildup then rolled the ablative (Black was my choice). One gallon of the barrier was plenty form the 1980 2950 Encounter, and a short gallon for each coat of the ablative.
      My 3818 is stored on the hard making anti fouling paint a non issue. However, if I ever decide to go back to in the water moorage, I will be using the Seahawk.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
      X