3788 Midship stateroom water leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3788 Midship stateroom water leak

We took possession of our 3788 on Monday. I think the boat is in shock wondering what happened to the weather coming from So Cal to NW Oregon rain. We've had lots of water entering the boats interior. The first water leak was the most obvious with water dripping from the full length of the window sash over the port salon windows. I suspect flybridge drainage issue there. Today while unpacking the midship stateroom we found lots of water coming in around the port window. Opening the window revealed a dry seal so the water is not coming through there. We have some slight impact damage to the rub rail near the window. I suspect there is a deck/hull joint under that rub rail and wonder if it may have been compromised. It looks like the rain water may drain down under the midship cleat onto the top of the rub rail, make its way down (forward) to the impacted area of the rub rail, enter through the joint and into the cabin. Has anybody experienced anything like this?
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

On my 3870 the only sealant I can see for the hull to cap joint is above the rub tail, none visible on the joint, I will get a better look when I replace the aluminum rub rai with a TACO plastic rub rail with black tubing insert.
    Before replacing the rub rail I will be sure all the screws are in the pilot holes then I will seal the joint.
    My drip rail on the FB port side had every other pilot hole empty and not sealed, on the stb side only every 3rd hole had a screw in it.
    On the rub rail the previous owner sealed the top of the rub rail but not the bottom, the spray causes leaks in places.
    Little by little things are found and repaired.
    I doubt if the hull joint is sealed.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I think the panel above the mid-stateroom porthole may be removable. If it is, you may want to take it off to look behind it.

Also take a look at the seal between the porthole frame and the hull.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
      X