Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3218 and 3270

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, it has been very helpful and I'm considering 88 3218 or 89 3270.

I've heard that this model doesn't use wood core? Is this correct, if so, does this eliminate the issue or rotten transom?

Thank you.
    Accepted offer on 1985 3270 w/ Hino 110s !! Waiting on survey.
    1993 Searay 290
    1982 Ski Nautique 2001
    1988 Kawaski 650 SX Stand Up
    Starcraft 16ft fishing boat

See the link below for images of various core samples on my 1983 3270.

https://sites.google.com/site/lhboat...l-core-samples
    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

• Gsherwood
      Gsherwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Best site I’ve ever seen for 3270s. I’d herd about it but never seen it. Thank you.

I don’t think my tanks leak yet. What is the best way to check for potential leaks? What can I do to slow the rust?

Thanks. Excellent source material. I see there there is lots of wood in the boat.

Would you say that a surveryor would be able to take a moisture reading to determine moisture level in the transom and stringers without issue?
    1993 Searay 290
    1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Looks like almost all plywood cored except the bottom...
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

great pics. would you know if there's much change to a '90 ?
        Maple Bay Yacht Club
        1990 3288 "Allure" w/150 hino x 2
        2004 Campion 622 fish killing machine "Knucklebuster", 150 yammy 4 stroke

Comment

I don't know. I still have the '83.

An experienced surveyor can effectively use a moisture meter. Expect moisture in the transom.
          100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Thanks.

This boat has been in dry storage for 4-5 years. Would the transom dry out?

Is there any acceptable moisture level?
            1993 Searay 290
            1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Hello Again.

Since we've last spoke I've learned a bunch. Sold a boat (Rinker Fiesta Fee), surveyed and bought a boat (Searay 290) however I'm still searching for my part time live aboard 3270/18.

I'm looking at a 1986 3270 MY. It has 110 Hino's.

I'm expecting that I'll be at hull speed much of the time however am not going trawler because I want to be be able to moving quicker if I need to.

Regarding the GPH on the 32xx.com site: http://bayliner32xx.com/desktopdefau...dex=1&tabid=19

It references the 3270 with the 135 Hino's. Does any know, would this be about accurate for the 110 Hino's also?

For example 3.13 GPH at about hull speed and 1.6 at 14 knots?

Thank you.

-- -- -- -- --

Side note:

I just took the Searay out for 3 weeks on the western shore of lake michigan. I was suprised to see that desiel fuel often cost less the petro.

1993 Searay 290
              1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

for one thing a 110 boat will not go 14 knts, my 135 boat burns around 6/7 GPH at 25.50 sq never seen more than 8 GPH

Mph are around 12/13 at 2500. we deal with a lot of rip tides and glade to have the extra power. Wish I was faster as the fishing grounds are getting farther and farther away from the dock.

Did you ask about testing tanks? no need to test because they will leak at some point IMO
                1988 3270
                135 hinos
                Seldovia ALASKA
                KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                Marine canvas/Upholstery
                since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by ALASKAN_ADVENTURER View Post
                  for one thing a 110 boat will not go 14 knts, my 135 boat burns around 6/7 GPH at 25.50 sq never seen more than 8 GPH

Mph are around 12/13 at 2500. we deal with a lot of rip tides and glade to have the extra power. Wish I was faster as the fishing grounds are getting farther and farther away from the dock.

Did you ask about testing tanks? no need to test because they will leak at some point IMO

Thanks for the info and your input.

I'm unclear on where your message says, "6/7GPH at 25.50 sq.". What is 25.50 sq?

I have visually inspected the fuel tanks. If I get that far I'll be completing another inspection and survey including mechanical. Thanks for that feedback.

I did see this black ooze in the bildge directly to the right where the shaft meets the motor. Any idea what this might be?

Thank you.

Attached Files
                  1993 Searay 290
                  1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

The black goo could be anything from an old, dried-out oil spill to a piece of decaying rubber to a deceased rodent who is likely sadly missed by his grieving family. The origin seems clearly to be on the outboard side of the stringer and appears after making its way through the limber hole. You'll just have to trace it back to the source. Use a scope or a camera. If you have two phones, you can use Facetime as a poor man's scope. You can also scrape up a piece and sniff it. See if it floats and makes a sheen, etc.

The photo reminded me of the looming fuel tank issues in the older Bayliners. Take a look at the link below to see what may be lurking behind that innocuous-appearing piece of white board next to the tank. The link may also help you understand how the area containing the source of the black goo is built.

https://sites.google.com/site/lhboat...ome/fuel-tanks

Good luck.
                    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Hello.

I have an accepted offer on a very clean 86 3270 Hino 110s, survery Friday.

This is my first experience with diesel and would one day be my loop and/or out the St. Lawrence Seaway from Lake Michigan boat.

I have lots of questions which I'm sorting through the forum on and I've tried to do my homework before posting.

Here are a few comments and questions for ya'll.

1) The Hino's. 500 and 800 hrs.

- My initial findings on both motors at WOT are:

Oil pressure: 60
                      Temp: 170
                      RPM: 2700 (light chop)
                      Speed: 16mpg on GPS

- I noticed a bit of oil on the inside port side where the engine meets the trans. Seems like it may be dripping from above.

Photo attached of the area and a view of the white stringer with oil. Areas in question surrounded by red.

I've included an extra photo of the starboard engine for your viewing pleasure.

Is there anything else I should specifically be looking at?

2) Cooling:

I plan on checking the coolant level, running it for 2 hrs, let cool then recheck to look for loss of colant. Also checking the paint for overheating on the manicooler and watching for black smoke.

I opened up the cap and didn't see any coolant. Photo attached.

3) Fuel Tanks:

FYI: So far I've found 3 good corners. I'll be bringing back a mirror to check the other corners.

4) Transmission:

I have not checked fluid levels yet.

Thank you for your time.
                      Attached Files
                      1993 Searay 290
                      1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Rpm 2700 is too low - possibilities are:
                        - dirty hull &/or running gear
                        - poorly tuned engines
                        - tach inaccurate
                        - throttles not reaching full excursion
                        - wrong props, overloaded
                        Note ...Running in an overload condition will quickly remove engine life
                        Correct rpm as a brief test fully loaded is 3,090- 3,150

- I noticed a bit of oil on the inside port side where the engine meets the trans. Seems like it may be dripping from above.
                        - Rear main engine seal is one possibility
                        - slow leak at tach sender is another possibility
                        - leak at rear of valve cover is a third

Photo attached of the area and a view of the white stringer with oil. Areas in question surrounded by red.
                        - trans rear seal is one possibility

Yes - a large list, do you have manuals for the engines?

2) Cooling:

- Picture indicates low coolant and no overflow bottle(s)
                        - Picture indicates 'mud' contaminant in cooling system
                        - There will be an R & R in the future with as yet unknown issues and costs ($$

4) Transmission:

- Check fluid for level and condition
                        - Trans coolers look old , replace
                        - record trans ratios (pt and Stb) when checking trans

Who are you using for a surveyor if you take this further?
                        Northport NY

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. Comments below.

Rpm 2700 is too low - possibilities are:
                          - dirty hull &/or running gear boat is clean
                          - poorly tuned engines
                          - tach inaccurate
                          - throttles not reaching full excursion
                          - wrong props, overloaded - boat is almost empty
                          Note ...Running in an overload condition will quickly remove engine life Ok.
                          Correct rpm as a brief test fully loaded is 3,090- 3,150

- Rear main engine seal is one possibility
                          - slow leak at tach sender is another possibility
                          - leak at rear of valve cover is a third

- trans rear seal is one possibility

Ok, I'll look closer at these areas.

Yes - a large list, do you have manuals for the engines?

I have this one: https://www.marinepartssupply.com/me...vicemanual.pdf

2) Cooling:

- Picture indicates low coolant and no overflow bottle(s)
                          - Picture indicates 'mud' contaminant in cooling system
                          - There will be an R & R in the future with as yet unknown issues and costs ($$)

- Is the mud you're refering to the brown in the bottom, should this metal look clean?

- By $$ are you refering to the various manicooler type discussion.

4) Transmission:

- Check fluid for level and condition
                          - Trans coolers look old , replace
                          - record trans ratios (pt and Stb) when checking trans

Ok

Who are you using for a surveyor if you take this further?

Local surveyer for the boat that I've used in the past.
                          Seperate diesel surveyer for the motors.

For referance in case ya'll are interested I've attacehd several motor and compartmenet photos.

Thanks.
                          Attached Files
                          1993 Searay 290
                          1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

For referance in case ya'll are interested I've attacehd several motor and compartmenet photos.

Thanks.
                            1993 Searay 290
                            1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comment

Working...
                            X