3988 Air Conditioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 Air Conditioning

Looking for input from 3988 owners who have air conditioning installed.
    Manufacturer
    Location of unit
    BTUs
    Number and location of grilles
    Location and height above water of discharge
    Satisfaction, do overs, noise, other considerations, comments.
    I'm considering installing the unit under the V berth to keep weight as far forward as possible and due to space considerations.

General comments from other owners appreciated.
    Thanks, Bruce

"Impasse". 2001 3988
    Cummins 330's
    Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

I have factory air in my 3988 two units one in the port side under the v-berth, the other under the couch in the salon. I replaced the forward unit with WEBESCO FCS series 115v fcf 0012000gs, it works great much more quiet than the original. The grills are located over the star closet and over the closet in the second birth. to do this you need to fab a splitter box off the unit going port and star. you will have to take the white wall out of both closets and cut holes to run your ducting. The power runs on the star side over the closet and follows the ducting to the unit. I know a lot of this because I had a bow thruster installed and we had to disassemble half the boat to run power to the battery charger for the unit. If you need pictures I can give you an idea of what it looks like. This a picture of the original unit. let me know if I can help.
    Attached Files
    Island Girl 2000 3988
    Sarasota,Florida
    There are worse places to be than on your boat.

Comment

That gets me started, thank you. Anyone else, anyone?
      "Impasse". 2001 3988
      Cummins 330's
      Puget Sound

Comment

I have the same factory air as described by Noah but both are still AIR. They work fine but don't use them often.
        Chuck
        2002 3988 / Cummins 330s
        Los Angeles

Comment

My boat is a 1995 came from the factory with 2 ac units from Marine Air. There unit also have the ability to run reverse cycles and they have electronic controls.

1st unit is installed under the main L sofa just beside the cabinet. The ducking is coming out on top of the cabinet and also in the smaller bedroom.

2nd unit is installed under the bed in the master bedroom with ducking on the starboard clothes cabinet and also in the smaller bedroom.

Sorry I do not have the BTU for each unit.

I am on the east coast and these units are pretty much running all summer long when sitting in a marina.
          Eric
          Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

Thank you, closets are disassembled and the boat is getting opened up for installation and runs. I'll document the project and post when done.
            "Impasse". 2001 3988
            Cummins 330's
            Puget Sound

Comment

Hi Noah. Do you have any pictures of the interior under the forward birth where your bow thruster is installed? I am having a thruster job done and was wondering how you lay out the area under the forward birth. How do you gain access to the bow?
              Guntar
              1999 3988
              Cummins 270s

Comment

Guntar
                here are a few pictures of the install. Very clean with isolated battery and charger Vetus 95 210 lbs thrust. To gain access remove the v-berth mattress access is though the starboard opening. The installers cut through the floor there as seen in pictures hope this helps..
                Attached Files
                Island Girl 2000 3988
                Sarasota,Florida
                There are worse places to be than on your boat.

Comment

thanks much. just what I needed...
                  Guntar
                  1999 3988
                  Cummins 270s

Comment

Working...
                  X