4788 Venturi Seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Venturi Seal

On your '97 4788 we have what appears to be a very primitive way of sealing around the Venturi from the previous owner.....lots and LOTS of silicone sealant....that has become moldy and horrible to look at. It covers a spongy material (partially) that seems to fill in a gap in the frame. What have you all done to update/clean up/seal up this area....it really is an eyesore on this boat.

TIA
    Kevin
    We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Hi Kevin
    You need to remove the Venturi no news their use razor blades or box cutters best way using a wire or small fishing type cable pull thru and go down both sides at same time,then just clean and reinstall and use sealant were you want it....On our Venturi I used clear silicone over the base as this made it stronger but also keeps water and dirt out,use masking tape for a more clean look,I used enough clear sealant to cover width and length at base of Venturi and when screwed in it flowed together so their was no air gaps and removed excess sealant and formed a nice outside bead remove tape and pour a cold one......Good luck Brad

Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks Brad.....what I am talking about is the TOP portion of the frame.....there is some spongy material and the PO has filled all of that area with what looks like Silicone....and the silicone is molding and looks like crap. As I look further and can be seen in the picture, the soft foamy material has turned white/grey and moves in a track that covers the screws.....so it is possible that the PO put the silicone on to stop leaks and that was their quick method as opposed to what you describe above....? Picture attached. What do you fill in the space around the screws with?

Comment

Kevin
        I'am perty far away from a marina at this time that would have any 47s to look at.....However if memory serves me correctly that (gray)molding is a black rubber extrusion that fits into that slot,try to find a good section to get size and shape and surch "taco" they may have it.Your absolulty right the PO did a piss poor job just trying to save a $...Maby some else can come up with another resource for the extrusion ?? Just to let you know that it will shrink over time.
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Thanks Brad! Very Helpful!

Comment

Hi Kevin
            Just remembered this one..."Barbour Plastics"
            Brad & Sharon
            Lady Jake
            LaConner,Wa. (summer)
            kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Hello Brad - Just getting back to this....does the venturi come off as one piece or does it come off in three pieces on the 4788?

Thanks!
              Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X