4588: First Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: First Run

Back in Atlanta from 4 days in Hilton Head... Transmission output shaft seal replaced (4 hrs) and new battery charger made it possible to take the boat out for a few hours yesterday.

1. Steering.. Apparently there was a steering issue with the boat before I bought it, but it was told to me that fluid was added and the steering was repaired - The steering was a bit wonky, but worked in the pilothouse. But it seemed like I had to turn the wheel at least a couple times even to notice a course change. And then the steering seemed to drift even when not moving the wheel. The steering is totally nonresponsive on the flybridge, turning easily and not moving the steering ram at all. I delivered a 4550 only a month ago, and the steering was definitely more responsive and accurate on that boat.
    The reservoir/pump near the ram reads 28...not sure what that means.

2. Compu Course autopilot...never locks onto "ready". Keeps going back and forth between Standby and Ready. Is it connected to a fluxgate compass? Trying to understand why it won't lock into ready mode.

3. Pilothouse gauge readings... At both 1100rpm and 1500rpm Port/ oil press:20 Water temp:150 Stbd/ oil press:35 Water temp 175...Reading stayed constant over most all rpm ranges. Checked oil in both motors, seemed filled to same and proper level on the dipstick...thoughts?

4. Arch...I'm going to scrap the arch because its nasty and broken down, seems all of the wires run down the port side of the arch, is there a process for undoing radar cable at the helm and feeding it back through the boat to bring it out through the arch? It is hard wired into the radar array, and I want to scrap the arch, but keep the array.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have...

Hey Jeff - #1 - has got to be air in the system from my vantage point . . . maybe the oil needs to changed out too. FairIy easy but sounds like you might need 2 or 3 people to help do it. Saw an episode on Ship-Shape TV Sunday about a powered unit that can do that but, of course, only marinas or businesses have them.

#4 - I was there and watching when the marina guys took my arch down and disconnected the radar cables. Mine was (is) a 18" dome and the top of the dome came off (4 screws) and then they disconnected the cable that was just inside the cable connector. Really, quite easy. They told me that I could leave the dome on the arch but I had them remove it to be on the safe side. Then we fed the cable down through the arch leg and coiled it up just beneath that leg's juncture point. . . . . and now it's out and for sale.
    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
    James H. Stradling

Comment

Compu course should be connected to the compass housing binnacle.
      lights flash then the ready light comes on?
      open up the housing, see compass card light bulb isn't blown...
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      93 3058
      92 2855
      91 Fourwinns 205
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Any thought as to where that binnacle housing lives on a 4588?

Comment

Up under the help access through small hatch at your feet when steering
          Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

ON the Steering, You might have leak at the upper helm, this explain the degrade in the one month. With a bicycle pump you pressurize the system, if the seals at each helm are leaking you would see a an oil hydraulic fluid leak.

On #3 Clean connection at senders on engine and make sure connection are tight, most likely loose/bad connection or senders need to be replaced. Port side cooling system runs through water heaters, so that engine will take longer to come up to temp but once under way both should be about 170ish. Another issue could be thermostat but that I thinking senders as a first step
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Hi Jeff
              our auto pilot Binnacle is located under guest stateroom,the should be close to centerline and low in the boat.
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              LaConner,Wa. (summer)
              2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
              kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

if your 4588 has original equipment like my old 4588 was before I upgraded my pilot house helm,the radar cable ran from the arch, through the port side along the bridge to under the bridge steering station where it went down a feed through far to the port of under the steering station. The feed through was located behind a bulkhead and as not obvious at first. From there, the cables followed down the inner wall to under the back wall of the pilot house seating. In the back of the port seat near the door, there is a removal wall panel. Behind there is where the cables come down from the bridge. From there, there is a path under the door threashold that they go through and enter under the port side fo the pilot house dash. That is the path most all the wires take for anything that travels between the pilothouse and bridge.

I hope this helps,

~BJ
                OMEGA
                BJ
                OMEGA

Comment

I need to find a well done review on how to bleed the hydraulic fluid through both the pilothouse and flybridge steering systems. I'm assuming that the one unit with the psi gauge on it down in the lazzerette by the steering ram supplies for both of the steering stations.

thanks for the other replies, I'll begin to attack these issues one at a time...sure helps to have you all with advice from your own experiences!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Qi1ETRp8s
                    https://goneoutdoors.com/bleed-hydra...g-5829272.html
                    https://www.justanswer.com/boat/3qzw...-refilled.html

Here ya go, Jeff . . . the third one might be the best (these are all on bleeding the steering system and their issues)
                    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
                    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                    James H. Stradling

Comment

thanks James...good information. A deeper search brought me this document on bleeding a Hynautic dual station setup.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AkfUtAjGomLI2B

Comment

Jeff,

One thing you should consider is that the autopilot may be having difficulty due to the steering problem. These things operate as a closed loop control system and if the lag time for the response from the rudder is too great than it might have difficulty and report this type of error. So first things firs,t fix the steering system first and then re-try the autopilot. If its still failing then start to look elsewhere for the problem with the autopilot.

RB Cooper

Comment

RB...great advice. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X