Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Bank for 1986 32 foot 3270

Hello All,

Our family recently completed the Great Loop (June 2017), and are looking to do the trip for an extended period of time, beginning in July 2018. One issue that we had, was the ability to run our daughters medical equipment when we were anchored out, so we were docked at a marina almost every night. We enjoy anchoring out, so we are looking to install a battery bank on our 3270, that will operate our cabin lights, anchor light, etc...., but I would also like to run an inverter off of it, so we can operate our daughters medical equipment when anchored out.

I am coming to the forum for advice on exactly how to do that. I do know that by running her equipment 2 times a day, it will use up around 50 amp hours.

I am thinking of a battery bank, with a monitoring system, so I can tell how much time I have left on the battery bank.

What is the best way to do this? The alternator on board is a 50A alternator, will that need to be upgraded when adding a battery bank? Right now I have 2 batteries, one for starting, and one that acts as the house battery. I do have the ability to isolate the starting battery so nothing drains it while we are anchored out.

I was thinking of adding 4 or 6 - GC2 golf cart batteries, would I just tie them into my current house battery? Would the current alternator be able to recharge that system while we are underway?

Not sure what the electrical calculations is needed for a project like this, and not sure how to properly "wire" the system up, in the way of "do I eliminate the current house battery, and run the new bank in its place?", "What size inverter would I need to run her medical equipment?", "Just run a designated plug off the inverter to give her the 110V that we need?", etc..... ALOT OF QUESTIONS!! LOL

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much!!

Bobby Wilson
    La Cigale
    1986 32ft 3270 MotorYacht
    2017 Gold Looper
    Bobby Wilson
    1986 Bayliner 3270
    Gold Looper 2017

Magna sine wave 2000W inverter/charger with their ARC 50 controller would be a good choice.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

A good inverter will have a charger built in so you can charge while on shore power. Your 50 Amp alternator might effectively really be 35 amps meaning that 100 amps you take out for the equipment will take 3 hours running to replenish. Short of having a genny, you'll be hard pressed to keep up. Plan your Golf Cart batteries on maximum 50% discharge. That means 4 Golf carts = 440 amp hours and 50% is 220 amp hours to run your fridge, med equipment and lights etc. You would have to recharge on day two and need 6 hours running without shore or genny assist. As an aside, a cheap inverter without a charger might be a modified sine wave so you need to check compatibility of the med equipment with modified sine versus pure sine wave of a good inverter.
      Edit after Ruffryder to say that's a great brand/size/model inverter he recommended although you still need the shore or genny power to keep up.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Ruffryder and Uncle_Bob, thank you both very much for your input. I have read that the alternator output should be at least 25% of your overall battery bank. (ie., you need a 50A alternator for a battery bank with 200Ah). (250A alternator for a battery bank with 1000Ah capability). Looks as that would be specifically for Floated batteries, and not for AGM or Gel batteries. Any truth to that? Thanks again!!
        Bobby Wilson
        1986 Bayliner 3270
        Gold Looper 2017

Comment

AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent VS flooded DOD 50%.
          Also the big advantage of AGM batteries is ability to accept higher charge rates... I'd like to go about 40% charge acceptance rate on them.
          4 Trojan AGM 6 volt batts would be about 434 AH...
          160 AMP Belmar alternator would be a good choice.
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

From my own experience with many battery powered machines (600 to over 2000 ah battery packs) and the chargers for them it works out that the charger needs to have the ability to put out about 10% of the a.h.capacity of the battery bank. Example: 800 ah bank would need a charger rated at about 80 amps. Since your alternator can't put out the maximum rated amps continuously you are pretty close in your assumption about the maximum output size of the alternator. That 250 amp alternator could realistically put out 100 amps continuously and last a long time doing so. This is not an exact mathematical calculation but a general "ballpark" of what would be needed. A 200 amp alternator would likely do OK too.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
              AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent VS flooded DOD 50%.
              Also the big advantage of AGM batteries is ability to accept higher charge rates... I'd like to go about 40% charge acceptance rate on them.
              4 Trojan AGM 6 volt batts would be about 434 AH...
              160 AMP Belmar alternator would be a good choice.
              Would it matter what the engine size is, and if it would be able to handle a larger alternator? I have the twin Diesel 110HP engines on board. Thank you very much for the information provided.
              Bobby Wilson
              1986 Bayliner 3270
              Gold Looper 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Darcy View Post
                From my own experience with many battery powered machines (600 to over 2000 ah battery packs) and the chargers for them it works out that the charger needs to have the ability to put out about 10% of the a.h.capacity of the battery bank. Example: 800 ah bank would need a charger rated at about 80 amps. Since your alternator can't put out the maximum rated amps continuously you are pretty close in your assumption about the maximum output size of the alternator. That 250 amp alternator could realistically put out 100 amps continuously and last a long time doing so. This is not an exact mathematical calculation but a general "ballpark" of what would be needed. A 200 amp alternator would likely do OK too.

Greg
                Hello Greg, I see we have the same boat. Do you have a battery bank on board your boat, or a genset? Yeah, I had read about the above you posted. Very informative information! Thank you!!
                Bobby Wilson
                1986 Bayliner 3270
                Gold Looper 2017

Comment

Not really,
                  good article here

http://www.pkys.com/alternator_installation.htm
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

In answer to your question, I have a small house bank of two Gr. 29 FLA deep cycle batteries. I am either at the dock or on the ocean so there isn't much need since I don't anchor out offshore. It works for my low demand for 12 volt power. I have the stock 50 amp alternator.

Greg
                    Newport, Oregon
                    South Beach Marina
                    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

There is always the option of carrying a small generator and running a few hours in the AM and PM to charger your batteries and not worry about it.
                      Future 4788 Owner
                      Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Though it is a bit pricey, depending on how much power you need or your daughters medical equipment, another option to consider might be a fuel cell. They are fairly small, quiet and come in a lot of sizes. One manufacturer I’ve seen is EFOY. https://www.efoy-comfort.com/. I’m sure there are others.

If that’s not a viable option, I’d suggest a bank of 6v triojan lead acid batteries set up in a 12v arrangement that are charged by an inverter/Charger. It would be nice if you could install a small generator for charging, though.

Oh... Another thing to consider is to see if your doctor would help you write a letter to your medical insurance provider to see if they would pay for a travel system or power to support your daughters medical equipment... depending on what she is needs, and I’m not trying to probe, her medical needs may allow for coverage or at least partial coverage of support equipment. I’ve had friends that has had certain medical needs that thier insurance helped with things so they could enjoy traveling, etc...

Anyhow, just a couple of thoughts.... I hope they help somehow...

~BJ
                        OMEGA
                        BJ
                        OMEGA

Comment

I agree with Sportscar. I use a 4 golf cart battery house bank. When on the hook I use a 3100w portable generator for a couple of hours in the morning and then in the early evening. While charging the battery bank I can use other electrical AC items.
                          Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                          1985 3870
                          Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                          Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                          Live on board full time.
                          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Honda has some very small, light and relatively quiet generators. Not cheap but hey you get what you pay for, right?
                            Future 4788 Owner
                            Charleston, S.C.

Comment

everybody has different ideas on battery banks. bought my boat with 6 six volt did not last long, went to 3 Group 31 agm from West Marine, over $ 300 ea. two house one start, never ever run out . I do have a good charger, here is what I do, anchor start Honda 2000 gen leave it on swim step, plug the boat in, when its bed time shut off gen and the boat has three fully charged battery. runs my cpap and Espar heater all night no problem
                              1988 3270
                              135 hinos
                              Seldovia ALASKA
                              KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
                              KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
                              Marine canvas/Upholstery
                              since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X