Removing engines from 3870-gctid402310

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing engines from 3870-gctid402310

Could someone direct me to a previous post, or shed some light on how to remove the engines from a 3870? Just need the basics of how to remove from hull.

Have seen this one time - change Hinos for Cummins. Owner cut out portion of salon aft bulkhead to remove, replaced engines, then rebuilt bulkhead. He reported the job could have probably been done with partial engine disassembly, but figured it was faster and/or more reliable (for the new engines) to make the fiberglass cuts & repairs. Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

It would help to know what engines you have.

I removed Ford small block V8s and installed big block V8s without cutting anything. I don't know if they're as long as the Hinos but they are certainly wider. Both came out/went in the engine room door left of the bridge ladder.

Comment

I'm just wanting to rebuild the Hino 175s that are in it.

Comment

I'm guessing they come out the back hatches , but how are you move the engine towards the rear, with the cabin in the way?

Comment

If you have the Hino EH700, reportely it can not be removed without dissassembly - these are big engines. However, if you plan to re-build, you must disassemble anyway. Note these engines are designed for partial in-place re-build - the dry sleeves are easily removed in-place. There are several others threads on in-place re-build and oil pan removal. Probably better to remove if you plan a full re-build. If you remove, even after stripping, the 6-cyl block is heavy - about 700 to 800 lbs. Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

PMP Daddy wrote:
              I'm guessing they come out the back hatches , but how are you move the engine towards the rear, with the cabin in the way?
              I've never heard of anyone pulling engines out through the lazarette hatches. I don't think there's sufficient head to get them out, and you'd be dragging a great weight without much mechanical advantage.

The starboard engine can come out through the hatch in the saloon sole. The port engine can come out through the cockpit door. Some disassembly is required.

To lift either side, one way is to use an extended lifting beam reaching in over the transom. I made up a beam for a forklift. Another owner here - The Other gary - used a surplus I-beam; he counterweighted it on the shore end and lifted it in the middle using a crane.

Comment

Way, way back I repowered 130 hp Mitsubishis with 6BTA5.9 M2 Cummins and the mechanic cut an opening to port of the cockpit access door and of the same size. When it was trimmed, on completion, it kinda looked like it was supposed to be that way.

While it could have been reglassed, with just teak trim it was removable in case there was ever any reason to pull an engine again.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                  I've never heard of anyone pulling engines out through the lazarette hatches. I don't think there's sufficient head to get them out, and you'd be dragging a great weight without much mechanical advantage.

The starboard engine can come out through the hatch in the saloon sole. The port engine can come out through the cockpit door. Some disassembly is required.

To lift either side, one way is to use an extended lifting beam reaching in over the transom. I made up a beam for a forklift. Another owner here - The Other gary - used a surplus I-beam; he counterweighted it on the shore end and lifted it in the middle using a crane.
                  Ok , this is what I was needing to know, I can rig up something ,no problem, Thanks!

Comment

I removed 130MIT's & installed 4LHA YANMAR's .Port side=Remove ladder cut bulkhead same size as engine room door to stbd. of it. This gets bolted back in & trimed to match door .No glass work required. Stbd. side= Engine will not fit out salon door. Engine will not come out hatch in floor. I cut 8 inches out of bulkhead on stbd. side of door below window.This required glass work to replace.Inside cabinet was removed floor opened up.I now have 3 hatches in salon & complete access to stbd. engine. Hope this helps. Greg . You can call me if you like. I am on east coast..215 785 1308.

Comment

A 3870 should have 175 Hinos, I don't think gas came until later. I have talked to Earl about this just as a for what it's worth question. He told me he dissasembled them somewhat and was able to take the port out the engine room door and the stbd out the saloon hatch and out the cabin door. As mentioned they can be overhauled in place also. Might want to contact Earl.

Richard

Comment

I just met Old Crow as he and the Admiral passed my house on their Trent-Severn/Rideau trip. He repowered with Yanmars and has loads of good info for you. They're still traveling and will check in here by early next week.

Comment

Working...
                        X