3488/Meridian 341 Owners 250 Cummins need your input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3488/Meridian 341 Owners 250 Cummins need your input

Hello, we are looking at upsizing our boat. The 3488/Cummins is on the short list of boats we are considering. Probably 2001-2003 models and early Meridian 341 models. Looking for some real world info from owners. If you could please provide some information to the following questions it would be appreciated. Boat will be used in Pudget Sound, San Juan’s islands and Canada. Thanks in advance. K

1. How is the 250 Cummins from a reliably and maintaince experience? Average annual maintance budget?
    2. Fuel consumption at hull and cruise speeds. RPM and speed please.
    3. How does the boat ride especially in rough water.
    4. Storage both overall and galley.
    5. Pros/Cons on the 3488
    6. Anything else I should be aware of when looking at these vessels.
    Kevin & Robyn
    Koppers Kove
    MMSI 338206107
    2001 Bayliner 2452
    5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Anyone?
    Kevin & Robyn
    Koppers Kove
    MMSI 338206107
    2001 Bayliner 2452
    5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

Comment

We have a 2008 341, upgrading from a 2556 We shopped a lot, and targeted the 34 as our next step up boat. I didn't mind the layout of the early year 3488/341. Vicki did not like it. I was excited to get into a diesel boat. Do yourself a favor, and find your local Cummins shop. Talk to them about your options in that boat. Know the difference between a 4bta and a 6bta 250 HP engine.
      As for the boats, they are great boats. Never enough storage, they handle rough water way better than a 24-25 boat. You will be more comfortable traveling in 15-20s than you were in 10-15s in your boat.
      I wouldn't get your hopes up on a cheaper ride. You are hauling a condo around on the water. We have very much enjoyed the bigger boat. There are others here who have better experience with those year boats. Enjoy your search. We had fun with that too, and went from Portland to Vancouver BC. Our boat was found less than 100 yards from where she is moored today.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

4BTA is shaky at low RPM, rough idle.
        4BTA's injector issue was what ended their 4BT production.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=2033
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        93 3058
        92 2855
        91 Fourwinns 205
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Im searching for the same boat to be kept in San Diego

Comment

We had a 96 3488 for several years.

I cannot think of a better layout on that size platform. It is just about perfect in my opinion.

Be careful of the earlier models with the 330 hp engines. they were Vee drives with the engines aft, making the boat very stern heavy.
            There is also very little room for maintenance, just something to think about.

The later ones with the straight drives are much better in my opinion. Moving 3,00 pounds forward about 8 feet really seems to help the boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
              We had a 96 3488 for several years.

I cannot think of a better layout on that size platform. It is just about perfect in my opinion.

Be careful of the earlier models with the 330 hp engines. they were Vee drives with the engines aft, making the boat very stern heavy.
              There is also very little room for maintenance, just something to think about.

The later ones with the straight drives are much better in my opinion. Moving 3,00 pounds forward about 8 feet really seems to help the boat.
              96 3488? Avanti?
              93 3058
              92 2855
              91 Fourwinns 205
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post

96 3488? Avanti?
                Yep.

Made my first trip from Seattle to Whittier Alaska in 2003 in that boat.

Here is a trip down memory lane...

Look at the photo, April 2003 On the left is my friend Mike. you guys know him as Stratocaster. I am on the right, with a Mullet of all things
                The other photo is me at the helm. 15 years ago.Man, allot of water has went under the old keel since those days.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Looking good fellas, although 3488 Avanti is totally different than what Koppers is after...
                  3258, 3488 Avanti are pretty much the same boat, but they just added 2' in the cockpit.
                  3488 has the narrowest beam(11') for a 34 footer & very top heavy... she has some rolling behavior
                  93 3058
                  92 2855
                  91 Fourwinns 205
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
                    Looking good fellas, although 3488 Avanti is totally different than what Koppers is after...
                    3258, 3488 Avanti are pretty much the same boat, but they just added 2' in the cockpit.
                    3488 has the narrowest beam(11') for a 34 footer & very top heavy... she has some rolling behavior
                    Correct, it was very narrow. I found it to be probably the best rough water boat I have ever had due to its narrow beam, deep vee hull, and steep transom deadrise. Rolling was not an issue because up plane it squats enough that it did not roll noticably. What it do do was cut through the waves like a big sportsfisherman.

They later had an almost identical interior boat they called the 3488, which became the 341 and that is the one I think the OP is looking at.
                    A guy I knew bought a 3488/341 new in 2004 and I went through it. Memory is that it was to me an improvement over the 3488 because of the engine placement, but I do not remember that much else being different.

Gotta say when looking at the 3488, we really liked the 32’ Bayliner of that vintage as well, the one that had a aft stateroom.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY
                    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

They also added a foot of beam in 2005 or 2006, the galley went to mid boat instead of aft.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by talman View Post
                        They also added a foot of beam in 2005 or 2006, the galley went to mid boat instead of aft.
                        OK, so your boat a 2008 is a whole different boat (besides having the upscale meridian interior) Cool!

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY
                        SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Working...
                        X