4588 pilot house gauge panel dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 pilot house gauge panel dimensions

I'm working on a couple things in anticipation of my moving on board a newly acquired 4588. I was wondering if any of the 4588 owners could get me the dimensions of the main gauge panels above the wheel. All three pieces. Thank you in advance!!

Jamie

Jamie...
    the large main panel above the steering wheel is 41 and 13/16 by 13 and 3/16.
    the two smaller panels one to the left and to the right of the steering wheel below the main panel are both the same size and they are 13 and 1/2 by 7 and 1/2.

Comment

Thank you very much!!! I'm currently 2000 miles away from my boat, so.. and I won't see it again until probably May.. lol. I have several higher end older plasma displays, all the same. Am thinking about snagging an engine systems monitor device and creating a glass helm.. Will see if these measure out enough to fit.. Will become a longer term project, but I'll get things built in the mean time to eventually just make the switch. Will leave all analog flybridge gauges alone. Again, Thanks very much for your time in measuring for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Swimmster View Post
        I'm working on a couple things in anticipation of my moving on board a newly acquired 4588. I was wondering if any of the 4588 owners could get me the dimensions of the main gauge panels above the wheel. All three pieces. Thank you in advance!!
        They're all three different. The center is a isosceles trapazoid. The port and starboard panels are congruent trapazoids but slightly skewed (sides are that just almost mirrored face to face).

Measure them diagonally and you'll see they are different.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

On my 1989 4588, they are rectangles. And the smaller ones are exactly the same size. Maybe they changed him at some point along the line but I measured again this morning

Comment

We removed the panels and did 1 large one with 2 simrad 16" touch screens, the 2 19" would have fit but tight, we added a piano hinge on the top, with hatch locking spring so it locks in the open position making very easy to access the area through the huge opening we now have.
            Attached Files
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

OK Destiny.. That's a stunning upgrade.. Yes, I have 4 matching 19" screens.. Based on the dimensions given, I can not use 3 of them vertically.. They come out to 53" across, but I can put two horizontally. So silly question, as I have yet to be on my boat with everything turned on. Do all the switches labels light up blue like that from the factory? or did you make new panels? Loving the gauge relocation. My side panel is empty except a back up camera monitor.

Comment

All are upgraded blue fiber optic backlighting low amp, no heat lols great and easy to read day or night
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I upgraded my previous boats dash, a 4588, with a couple of screens and moved my guages around...

I love the lighted switches and such that mark did... they look awesome, and maybe mark doesn’t have the problem I didn’t night, but for me, I found the less light on the panels the better, because the dash is at just the right place that it reflects a lot in the dark, making it hard to see things outside when your cruising in at night... which I found myself doing a lot...

BJ
                  OMEGA
                  BJ
                  OMEGA

Comment

Great point BJ, we put a dimmer knob on all the panel and gauge lights, as well as BLACK OUT switch (one switch blacks out all switches, gauges, and step lights) so we go from full to low with the knob or a quick flick of the switch and it all blacked out as we also found underway in dark night the lights to be a distraction. We do have them on low when we need to find a switch if underway and when at anchor, dock or mooring we put them on, as we prefer that look and the easy of quickly finding the switch we want.
                    Mark
                    USCG OUPV
                    1990 4588
                    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

So in stock form, the labels do not light up at all correct? Had thought of doing something similar with my other boat. Have all the new gauge panels cut from coated lexan and then engraved with all the labeling. then just light pipe the illumination thru the lexan.. But yes, the illuminated labeling reminds me of the first time I went to the planitarium in elementary school.. all the labels were lit up blue. I really love the look. And yes, dimmer would be a must. I'm not scared to modify things a little.. I have found that I measured a bit wrong, and that I can fit 3 screens across that dash no problem. just their widths, when all turned sideways, will extend over the top by 2 inches. So I may cut and reshape so that the screens tilt more upright..

Comment

Make sure your screens are super bright, some call it daylight readable, if not they will wash out when the sun hits them
                        Mark
                        USCG OUPV
                        1990 4588
                        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny_4588 View Post
                          Great point BJ, we put a dimmer knob on all the panel and gauge lights, as well as BLACK OUT switch (one switch blacks out all switches, gauges, and step lights) so we go from full to low with the knob or a quick flick of the switch and it all blacked out as we also found underway in dark night the lights to be a distraction. We do have them on low when we need to find a switch if underway and when at anchor, dock or mooring we put them on, as we prefer that look and the easy of quickly finding the switch we want.
                          I love your lit switches, Mark, and having a master shut off or blackout switch for all of them is a great idea...
                          BJ
                          OMEGA

Comment

My advice is avoid the temptation to simply cut ABS or plexiglass. In the long run, they won't have the strength to support the weight of the gauges, chart plotters, etc. I've been doing this a dozen years now and when I first started making these panels I cut them from plastics and over time, they'd eventually buckle, crack or droop. I soon ended up investing in a CNC mill and building them from aluminum. I've easily made thousands of them now. I've tried everything from .080" to .125" thickness and found .110" matches the factory panels closest and gives the strength to hold everything up. Laminating a laser engraveable acrylic layer (.060") allows labeling and accenting them in any way I wish.

"Light piping" and back lighting is easy enough if you want to do that, but most opt for red or blue lights at the helm that show the switch labeling very well. Tons of fun ways to upgrade the look. The best in my opinion are the newer flush mounted chart plotters. They give a really slick minimalist glass cockpit look.
                            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

What do you charge per panel? obviously they are all going to cost different, but just curious. Say the raw panels with labeling. I have a few ideas for lighting.. such as switching from blue to red.. highly interested. Center panels over the steering I have worked out.. mainly switch panels and breaker panels. Possibly interested in AC panel as well. I want to switch to digital gauges for the AC panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X