Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet Replacement

I am gearing up for the carpet replacement on our 4788

We have picked carpet at Home Depot, and they will cut it according to my cut list.

The challenge I have is what stapler to use. I have a very nice upholstery stapler but it uses 1/2” crown staples.

I am thinking it might be better to get a stapler that uses 3/16” crown staples

What size staples did you use?

Thanks!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Hi Kevin
    I think 3/16 x 1/2 would be fine just make sure they are S/S , all my installs we glued the carpet.Are you using a air or hand stapler??remember to work the head of the stapler between carpet piles to backing then staple..... Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Carpet is high on my list this year... I have had some very expensive estimates. I never considered doing it myself but having the carpet precut might make it do-able. Did Home Depot charge for the precuts? Is this just a rough cut then you are doing the final fit and trim? Couch removed or not?
      Please let us know how it goes... and a few pics :}

Cheers, Gary
      Afterglow 4788
      Gary Weiss
      Sidney BC
      ArbutusCoastYachts.com

Comment

Home Depot is not charging for the cuts. I think this is normal but it is behind the scenes.

I’m getting cuts a bit oversized, probaby more than a professional carpet person would.

The couch is coming out for the job. I was going to recarpet around the couch but I am adding a hatch underneath the couch for stbd engine access. Plus thecouch is easy peasy to remove anyway, and having it out wil make the job much easier.

I already have the pilothouse carpet out. I’ll cut a new piece to fit and bind the edge myself using my handy dandy sailrite insustrial sewing machine.

Buying a new nifty carpet staple gun. Going with a 1/4” crown model by Senco. Cool thing is I can use it for other woodworking projects.

Pics will forllow when the carpet arrives. Shipping takes awhile and I’m planning on doing the job the second week of March.

The carpet I chose is a short berber style, but with cut loops. Dark green, so it won’t show dirt and spills and will go with the beige interior. We put pretty much the same carpet in our old 3488 in 2005 and it still looks great under heavy use.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Kevin,
          we recarpeted the hall and state rooms last summer. I hired a local guy from a carpet outlet for $400 and ended up tipping him another $100. I did all the tear out. He worked his butt off for two days. He used old carpet as rough template. There are a lot of cuts and trimming. He used some staples ( rolling stair treads, etc) and a lot of double sided carpet tape. He heat glued a few places where he had to seam. Turned out well using a plush pile almost identical to stock in color. Kind of wish I would have gone a bit darker.
          2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
          12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
          MV Kia Orana
          Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I put hardwood and berber carpet in last year, I bought the carpet from a local carpet company that cut it and put binding on and stainless steel snaps.
            The snaps hold it in place nicely.
            1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
            5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Originally posted by ken51k View Post
              I put hardwood and berber carpet in last year, I bought the carpet from a local carpet company that cut it and put binding on and stainless steel snaps.
              The snaps hold it in place nicely.
              That looks very nice!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Kevin,
                i just recently re carpeted my 38 myself. I also used Home carpet from HD as well as their 6lb padding. Here’s my take away: if you’re carpeting wall to wall do it just like home carpet and use tack strips around the perimeter for two reasons. First, the carpet will lay nice and you’ll enjoy a much cleaner edge than a stapled down edge. Second, it will be much easier to stretch the carpet using normal industry tools, and you will definately want to stretch it in the larger areas like the solon. As mentioned when you do need to staple edges make sure you pull the carpet fiber back and staple only the backing else you will see a dimple at every staple location.
                Because I already had it I used my Fasco stapler with JK 680-10 SS staples. (The SS for stainless steel) Those staples are wide crown(1/2”) 20 guage x3/8”. Which work great into most wood substrates.
                I bought the carpet on a twelve foot wide roll and cut it myself using the removed pieces as templates. Easy Peasy. Be sure use a quality knife like this one but with double sided carpet blades. Cut from the back side of the carpet whenever possible. Have fun!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-11-B...CABEgI9KPD_BwE

Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I did my 38 myself as well - no tack strips and getting a good edge wasn't hard to do. Tack strips end up rusting and being a PITA. With the hatches and fairly small areas I didn't find that stretching with hip kicker or bigger tools was needed. I did make sure to work it to taut, starting in centers and working towards ends. Hands were sore by the end of day but I don't know that I could have hip kicked it to get much better and 4 seasons later it still looks good. I also covered up some of the areas that Bayliner left in fiberglass as I thought that looked cheap.

I tore out the old lay them all out on the new piece and rough cut everything on the shop floor a few inches oversized (with grain oriented) and then headed to the boat to install the pieces.
                  1989 3888
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                  X