Cork wall tiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cork wall tiles

Im in the process of remodeling the V berth, galley and head of my 3270. Looking at cork tiles as an option for head liner and hull/bulkhead covering. Anyone have any experience with this application of the material?

Santa Cruz CA
    "Molly Ray "
    1981 -3270
    Volvo AQ140's

A customer put cork in his boat. He had someone else do it because I did not want to be responsible for such an installation. Cork may float but it is also will eventually absorb moisture. His cork tiles are curling, and peeling after less than a year with little use of the boat. The acoustic type cork tiles are also a source of dust if not copiously sealed. Even then, eventually, they start to fall apart especially in a moist environment. Bottom line is that it is your choice, but I would not chose it for my boat.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Valuable input, thank you. I wonder the thickness of the tiles and what adhesive they used???? Im looking at the Amcork tiles running 5/16'' with a flexible contact cement. Interior application with only ambient moister. Hoping others chime in with some more encouraging experiences. Makes me think its a no go in the head though.
      Thanks
      Santa Cruz CA
      "Molly Ray "
      1981 -3270
      Volvo AQ140's

Comment

Working...
      X