4588 Water tank replacment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588 Water tank replacment

Has anyone changed out the 2 water tanks under the V birth?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Lee

I gotta ask, Why???

Did yours break?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Hi Lee
      If you go back 18 pages 3rd one down " Destiny_4588" has pics,he removed smaller tank 70 gal.I know you'll have to remove most of the Vbearth structure to get at the larger tank 130 gal.....Good luck Brad
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

here are removal pics for the lower tank, we are are almost done with the replacement, did 2 aluminum tanks so it is easier to install and remove if ever that needs to be done again.
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

The PO had the forward 130 gal tank removed on our 45. The yard in Olympia WA did it by cutting it up in place. The problem I have now is the replacement they put in is only 45 gal. That's about all that will fit down the hall. I am looking for either a bladder or have a custom rotomolded tank made to recover some of the lost capacity. Probably stacking them. If it's not leaking and only is making "stinky water" I would clean it out first maybe even put an inspection access in the top similar to what some large boat fuel tanks have. The original was installed before the top of the boat was put on so getting it out of the stateroom is only possible by cutting something.

Comment

We have taken the original 130 down the hallway, had it welded and reinstalled it 10 years ago when it has a small leak that we fixed
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Now you have me thinking of something else! I always figured it was to deep to fit. Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the 130 gal.

Comment

I’m in the process of removing the lower tank. It appears when the bow thruster was installed a P.O. installed two 40 gal tanks just under the berth, and disconnected the lower tank after cutting the most forward part to install the bow thruster. I’m going to cut it out like Destiny did, and have a new tank made, we figure it might give us another 50 gals. or so. Still, it will be a far cry from the original 200 gals. But will give us more than 4 days of water!
                David
                Sidney, B.C.
                MV Cassiopeia V
                1990 4588
                twin 250 hp Hinos
                9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
                Call Sign: CFDF
                MMSI: 316014351

Comment

Not sure if my pictures made it on the last round, we did two tanks and have 60-61 Gallons for the lower which is very close to what we took out (give our take 15 gallons) still finishing up the floor, but the tanks are interconnected with a unions. The sender for level is the tall forward tank as is the vent line and fill. We also separated the vent line form upper tank(ours were T'ed together which would cause water from upper when filling to run into the lower which we wanted to have two separate systems.

Will post some pics in a week or two after we finish the floor install (doing that we screws for easy access in the future).

On sender for tank used the Wema senders as those have worked great for us in the fuel tanks
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Question: are the 70 gal & 130 gal original tanks connected? It looks like the single vent is connected to each tank but i cannot tell if when filling the forward tank if it drains into the aft 70 gallon tank

Comment

Hi Jim
                      The tanks are NOT connected ,and yes vents are "T" together ....Hope that helps... Brad
                      Brad & Sharon
                      Lady Jake
                      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                      Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Lower water tank replacement done, final pictures for those that asked. did not tank picture of 2nd vent line (we removed the T 'ed factor setup and did to separate vent lines.
                        Mark
                        USCG OUPV
                        1990 4588
                        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Mark,
                          You glassed the floor back in place, was there a reason for this? My floor was/is only screwed down, and once I complete my new water tank install I was going to just screw it down again so I can access the tank and new clean outs. Once I get the new tanks installed I’ll put up some pictures. I ended up completely removing the bed frame, there must be a thousand staples, and not many screws!
                          cheers,
                          David
                          David
                          Sidney, B.C.
                          MV Cassiopeia V
                          1990 4588
                          twin 250 hp Hinos
                          9kw Fisher Panda (new 2020)
                          Call Sign: CFDF
                          MMSI: 316014351

Comment

We screwed down but it had some movement so just used some 6" glass tape and locked everything back in nice and solid, Did not install clean outs, so was more focused on solid squeak free floor. Mine wasglassed in orginally by the way. When I put the carpet pad back down I used carpet tape, no staples, so far it worked well, in a year hopefully it will be the same
                            Mark
                            USCG OUPV
                            1990 4588
                            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
                            X