4588: DC failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4588: DC failure

Not sure where to begin, I came down to the boat this weekend to get it prepped for going back to Lake Lanier in Georgia. All systems were fine when I got here, AC and DC side we're good. Bought a new battery for the generator, and the generator started right up. Put in a new output shaft seal on the port transmission, and started that motor after the job was done, everything was fine the shaft seal wasn't leaking, however I went to turn off that motor in the Pilot House with the button, and it seems to take a lot longer the normal for the motor to shut down, almost 25 seconds as opposed to the standard 5 Seconds it normally takes. After that, the DC monitor started showing that the batteries were all losing their juice. Right now I have no DC powe,r the motors won't start, the generator won't start, and I have this unusual tone alam style sound coming from underneath the Pilothouse control area.

I am absolutely stumped! I'll listen to all ideas.

Hi Jeff
    Is your boat equipped with a "Firebouy"suppression system or like system?? I know if you broke a wire to the auto system on extinguisher it won't let you start the main engines. Is your Gen.battery isolated from rest of them (no cross over switch) your house and start should have a cross over,just why Gen.batt.wont start up I don't know.might check all switches and fuses at the cabinett aft stb in salon.
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Brad, that is VERY good troubleshooting!!!

If you think about it, there sdhould be nothing common to both the engines and the generator.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Heading back to the boat now, needed to go have dinner to try and clear my head on this one. The only other thing that I can think of that the generator and the motors have in common is it the battery charger charges all of those batteries, and if the battery charger were to be bad then maybe it would be somehow discharging all of the batteries

Comment

Got back to the boat, and it seems like a couple of the batteries have charged up a little bit, at least enough for the engine to want to turn try and turn over. But very weak. There are two 8D batteries back there and God knows how long they've been there. So my thought is it's either the batteries, or the charger, and it looks like a very light duty Xantrex charger. And it looks like that charger goes to both the generator and the 8 D's.

Comment

Hmmm

Boat that size, you shold have a fairly potent charger.
            If you spend time on the hook allot, a larger charger, if you spend time plugged in when not underway a smaller charger would probably be OK.

At least 40 amps, but I would like to see larger.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Kevin when I get some daylight tomorrow morning, I will investigate the charger, but I have a feeling the problem is the charger. My other question is am I best to replace the 8 D batteries with the same style, or would it be better for me to go to regular group 27, 12 volt style batteries?

Comment

Its all about the weight. As long as your collection of Group XX weighs as much or more than your 8Ds you'll be golden. The smaller batteries will require more cables and connections which means some increased chance of failure and requirement for maintenance. The 8Ds on the other hand are a major PITA to move but you already knew that. Personally I'd stick with the 8Ds but YMMV.
                R.J.(Bob) Evans
                Cierra 2755

Comment

On Strb side in the battery switch panel see if cross over is on or off it should be off to isolate House from start so turn it on and see if issue is same, if not then Engine batteries might need after or to be replaced

alertantor does not really kick in until 1500-2000 rpm

if cross over was ON then you drained your start batteries by pulling House items like
                  lights stereo etc
                  Mark
                  USCG OUPV
                  1990 4588
                  Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Mark.... that's exactly what was happening. The crossover was on. I've got it off now, I'll let everything charged up for the night, and try things tomorrow. I brought a good battery tester with me, so in the morning I'll turn the battery charger off and test the 2 8 D batteries and see what the health of those two batteries is, but great advice on the crossover switch

Comment

Jeff,
                      if you have a digital meter you can measure voltage directly at battery terminals. If the voltage is around 14.7 the charger is working.
                      i just swapped out the house 8D battery on mine today. They are HEAVY! But they offer the most output and reserve capacity for their size and seem to last longer.
                      If you decide to switch battery’s bring a friend,preferably a big friend
                      Gibraltar, Mi.
                      1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
                      34' Tollycraft- sold
                      88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Turned out to be a faulty (super high quality ProMariner...lol) battery charger. Bought a Xantrex today, problem solved. thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                        X