4788 HELM SEAT UPGRADE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwb View Post
    I got my bridge helm seat at Pontoonstuff.com as well. Never thought about changing over the lower helm to be one of those but it is a damn comfy seat (which is something that is missing downstairs on my 38)
    You should get one for you help,,, you'll Love it... I find myself just sitting there in the morning in mine pondering the day ahead... it’s real nice...
    The other thing I like about having the helm and bridge seats the same is it looks like they belong, if that makes sense... and for the price,,, you can’t go wrong,,,
    BJ
    OMEGA

Comment

• kwb
      kwb commented
      Editing a comment
      If you scroll down on the pontoon page - one of the reviews is mine. Lots of seat time and has held up better than I anticipated when I wrote the review.

I don't need much convincing - just a matter of other boat projects ahead in line.

Here's an update...

I went to pontoonstuff.com with my visa card in hand, ready to order. I looked over the seat and realized that I could get the seat in any color I wanted as long as it was grey or white.

I just cannot do that. Right now I am reupholstering my pilothouse in a light beige, and neither grey or white go with light beige. Perhaps black would go...maybe if I had no other choice, but not grey or white.

So... I went to Jeromes recommended company llebroc.com and I called. Nick who answered the phone said that if purchasing could get the material they could build my seat in it. I sent him a email with a link to buy the material and am waiting on a quote

Here are photos of some of the ones I am thinking about. I suppose I could get something fancier looking, and price is about the same (or close) but I am drawn to the more simplistic designs.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

The question of fixed versus movable hem seats is often a debating point. When we had the Meridian 490, as standard it had a fixed pedestal with a Tracy Divine series seat in the pilothouse. The seat was first class, great quality, really comfortable, and held you nicely in place even in the roughest seas. Friends with 4788’s had movable seats allowing the pilothouse to become a great conversation area, and I was slightly envious at the time.

When we moved to the 5788, I was sort of pleased that I now had a seat I could move around, but the euphoria lasted one trip. This seat is uncomfortable, always in the way and can be downright dangerous when the pedestal abruptly slips down or the seat topples over. I can just imagine myself being pitched down the stairs on the damn thing one day!

We have been looking around for the same black Tracy fixed pedestal seat as in the Meridian 490/580, but so far haven’t found one. Tracy in New York don’t seem to want to pick up the phone, and they don’t return emails either. If the prices are not too crazy, I would buy a helm seat, plus two matching seats for the bridge.

Rob
      Bayliner 5788
      'Merlin V'
      Vancouver BC

Comment

When we redid our PH flooring I changed the movable mount to a fixed mount still using the stock seat. The seat flips up so I can stand at the helm easily and I think I would want to keep that feature for fixed mount. The stock seat is not all that comfortable however.
        2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
        12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
        MV Kia Orana
        Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
          When we redid our PH flooring I changed the movable mount to a fixed mount still using the stock seat. The seat flips up so I can stand at the helm easily and I think I would want to keep that feature for fixed mount. The stock seat is not all that comfortable however.
          That flooring sure looks nice!

I just ordered yeaterday new carpet for the boat. Cant wait to get it in!

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Update...

Nick at LLebroc is Fantastic to work with.

I will be sending them the Vinyl I want the seat covered in, and he will build the seat using that material.

Now it is up to me to choose the seat and the mounting system.

Nick told me that for rough water he thinks the Banderas is probably his best choice. Although it is fancier than I really was after I’ll probably go with it.

Now I have to think of the mounting system.

The stock 4788 used a 2 3/8” pipe mount. This is not a standard size with the minimum being 2 7/8 and preferably 4” for rough water use and high seat levels.

I am either going to go with the Springfield 4” workmate swivel and slide, or the Garelick Microcommander 2

Anybody have any experience with either of these mounting systems?

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Well, I ordered the seat from Llebroc.

The seat will be covered in the same material that the rest of my pilothouse is in, Naugasoft Doeskin.

I went with the springfield 4” adjustable height pedestal with their Mariner2 slide and swivel, along with a flip up footrest.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Looks really sturdy Kevin! I’m looking forward to seeing a pic of the whole assembly mounted!
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I ordered a different footrest. one that clamps to the 4” tube.

Please look at the one in the post above and tell me what you think.

Is it FRUGLY????

Nick at Llebroc says he has never had anybody request that footrest.

The cool thing about that one is it rotates with the chair, and is flip up.

Llebroc does sell a really cool one that bolts to the chair base but it’s an additional $850 that I am not willing to spend on a helm chair.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY
                  SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I like it!!
                    Future 4788 Owner
                    Charleston, S.C.

Comment

Kevin, I think it will look great either way. I do believe that the footrest either has to flip up or move out of the way. It looks like your seat can easily be moved back as well. With the stock seat flipped up and footrest rotated 90°, I can easily stand at the helm. I also enjoy morning coffee sitting on the PH settee with the footrest rotated 180°.
                      MV Kia Orana
                      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                      X