4788 HELM SEAT UPGRADE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 HELM SEAT UPGRADE

I’m considering upgrading the helm seat in our 4788.

The present one is OK, but it’s time to re-upholster it and I was thinking thast it might be a good time to upgrade it instead.

Has anyone replaced their helm seat?

If so, what did you use?

Thanks!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

Hi Kevin
    A few years back when Bayliner closed their doors and sold remaining stock I bought 2 Meridian helm chairs and installed on flybridge,might find some their??or their site??
    Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Did it look like this?

If so, how is it? How did it bolt to the old mount, or did you replace the old mount?

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Hi Kevin
        Sorry mine our not like that...if you look at my avatar photo you can just make it out under the crain,the seat does fold up and sides have a mesh.That seat looks like a pilot house seat....looks like a good place to take a nap.
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
        2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

So far the Meridian seat in the photo looks like a great deal for a helm seat.

$499 from great lakes skipper

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Three years ago while crossing the Georgia Strait my stock helm chair fell over with me in it and I had to just lay it down and steer standing up. In my search for a new sturdier chair I found some display model helm chairs from Llebroc at a Seattle Boat Show.
            When you go to their website you can look at the chair you want and they will send you material and color samples to check out too. I don't have the info with me but I think the chair I bought was a Bandera Series 1 for $925. Then you add the column to mount it on and a base of choice. Depending on what height you want to sit, they cut the metal tube at the factory. I like having the ability to move the chair around so I opted for a very sturdy 6 wheel base which has a footprint larger than the stock model. The chair I got is heavy and very sturdy, no need to mount to the floor in my opinion. But if you already have a base you just buy the chair.

After all the additions of tube and base the price came to less than $2,000 with free shipping. I think you should check them out. They might have show room where you could sit in some. They have them in Seattle as I went in and sat in one before ordering. I Love my chair! I can send pictures later if you want.

https://www.llebroc.com/

Cheers! Jerome
            Cheers!
            Vinomaker
            Jerome Robbins
            Vice Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club
            Anacortes, WA
            2001 Bayliner 4788
            Twin 370 Cummins
            1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 454 V8-7.4L
            1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

Comment

Originally posted by vinomaker View Post
              Three years ago while crossing the Georgia Strait my stock helm chair fell over with me in it and I had to just lay it down and steer standing up. In my search for a new sturdier chair I found some display model helm chairs from Llebroc at a Seattle Boat Show.
              When you go to their website you can look at the chair you want and they will send you material and color samples to check out too. I don't have the info with me but I think the chair I bought was a Bandera Series 1 for $925. Then you add the column to mount it on and a base of choice. Depending on what height you want to sit, they cut the metal tube at the factory. I like having the ability to move the chair around so I opted for a very sturdy 6 wheel base which has a footprint larger than the stock model. The chair I got is heavy and very sturdy, no need to mount to the floor in my opinion. But if you already have a base you just buy the chair.

After all the additions of tube and base the price came to less than $2,000 with free shipping. I think you should check them out. They might have show room where you could sit in some. They have them in Seattle as I went in and sat in one before ordering. I Love my chair! I can send pictures later if you want.

https://www.llebroc.com/

Cheers! Jerome
              Thanks Jerome!

I have looked at their site, and that is a very nice very reasonable cost for a semi custom helm chair!

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY
              SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I’m not sure what base your current seat is on, but I bet it’s like the one I had in my 4588 and then my 5788. Though the seat was ok, I too wanted a better, more comfortable seat. I looked at a lot and found some pretty amazing ones. But as I didn’t want to break the bank, I kept looking until I found a pretty decent seat for what I considered a great price. It was only $350. I found it at pontoon stuff.com. I know... pontoon boat stuff, really?

I was REALLY sceptical until I got it in my hands. I liked it so much, I immediately bought two more seats for my bridge. With little effort, they install on the same mounts the existing seats did. I’ve had them a couple years now and they seem to be holding up pretty well. They look as good as the day I bought them... they are available in different colors, depending on when you buy them, though I think I’ve only seen gray, cream and white generally available. I have one cream one for the pilot house and two white ones for the bridge... they are pretty light weight so it doesn’t cause the seat to topple in heavy weather.

I hope this helps,

BJ
                OMEGA
                BJ
                OMEGA

Comment

• stanfromhell
                  stanfromhell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wow, that's got me thinking. Thanks BJ

• Woodsea
                  Woodsea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, that looks great! I was thinking of recovering my stock seat for about the same $. The stock is pretty heavy. How does the pontoon seat compre weight wise??

• egbauman
                  egbauman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This looks like a fantastic deal.

BJ - possible you can post a picture of the bottom of the chair to see how it attaches to the base? Last time i looked, my flybridge and pilothouse seats had different bases.

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post
                I’m not sure what base your current seat is on, but I bet it’s like the one I had in my 4588 and then my 5788. Though the seat was ok, I too wanted a better, more comfortable seat. I looked at a lot and found some pretty amazing ones. But as I didn’t want to break the bank, I kept looking until I found a pretty decent seat for what I considered a great price. It was only $350. I found it at pontoon stuff.com. I know... pontoon boat stuff, really?

I was REALLY sceptical until I got it in my hands. I liked it so much, I immediately bought two more seats for my bridge. With little effort, they install on the same mounts the existing seats did. I’ve had them a couple years now and they seem to be holding up pretty well. They look as good as the day I bought them... they are available in different colors, depending on when you buy them, though I think I’ve only seen gray, cream and white generally available. I have one cream one for the pilot house and two white ones for the bridge... they are pretty light weight so it doesn’t cause the seat to topple in heavy weather.

I hope this helps,

BJ
                OMEGA
                Pontoon stuff.... Hmmm....

I’m going to go look...

Problem is I am going to have to get over my bias. I have a pontoon boat at home and I suppose that the helm seat has held up pretty darn well, out in the sun, etc... for 15 years now...

But Pontoon stuff...

Probably the same as an expensive yacht seat but......

Thanks!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

My pilot house chair is not fixed and I’m rough seas is not fun. But I do like the fact I can move it around when I want to. Does anyone with a fixed seat ever wish they could move it out of the way? Considering a change to one like BJ’s but curious if fixed is a disadvantage in any way
                  BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                  5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                  Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Originally posted by simbad View Post
                    My pilot house chair is not fixed and I’m rough seas is not fun. But I do like the fact I can move it around when I want to. Does anyone with a fixed seat ever wish they could move it out of the way? Considering a change to one like BJ’s but curious if fixed is a disadvantage in any way
                    My seat base is fixed but movable. The PO used hand tightned bolts and threaded inserts to put it in, so all I need to do is remove the bolts to move the seat.

That said, in 6 years the only reason I’ve moved it is to vaccume.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY
                    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Pontoon stuff.... Hmmm....

I’m going to go look...

Problem is I am going to have to get over my bias. I have a pontoon boat at home and I suppose that the helm seat has held up pretty darn well, out in the sun, etc... for 15 years now...

But Pontoon stuff...

Probably the same as an expensive yacht seat but......

Thanks!!!
                      I know... RIGHT??? pontoon stuff...

I had to get past that one, too... that’s why I tried one for grins as I didn’t trust the quality , etc... but the second I got it, I fell in love, it not only the rather good looks, but the comfort... nobody ever guesses it was only a few hundred bucks. Simbad has seen it... I think he liked it. It isn’t too big and is pretty comfy, like I said...

I had one seat that was fixed and the other that was not. The fixed one offset for a passenger and ultimately was a bit of a pain.,, always in my way and not easily movable as it didn’t have its own stand. I’ve been in Gale seas and didn’t have any issue with the seat flopping around... One time when I was being slung side to side, I did set it on its side and to be sure it didn’t fall....but that was only once when I got got sideways to the ways for a while, but that’s a fairly rare occasion.

I found they were a perfect replacement for my bridge seats, too...just sayin...

BJ
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

• simbad
                        simbad commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Loved it. Think I might do the same.

Originally posted by igiftmon View Post

I know... RIGHT??? pontoon stuff...

I had to get past that one, too... that’s why I tried one for grins as I didn’t trust the quality , etc... but the second I got it, I fell in love, it not only the rather good looks, but the comfort... nobody ever guesses it was only a few hundred bucks. Simbad has seen it... I think he liked it. It isn’t too big and is pretty comfy, like I said...

I had one seat that was fixed and the other that was not. The fixed one offset for a passenger and ultimately was a bit of a pain.,, always in my way and not easily movable as it didn’t have its own stand. I’ve been in Gale seas and didn’t have any issue with the seat flopping around... One time when I was being slung side to side, I did set it on its side and to be sure it didn’t fall....but that was only once when I got got sideways to the ways for a while, but that’s a fairly rare occasion.

I found they were a perfect replacement for my bridge seats, too...just sayin...

BJ
                      OK, I’ll try it! I’m sold.

My backout plan is if I don’t like it, I’ll put it on my pontoon boat.

I think it’ll be fine though, and my lovely wife will be glad that I didn’t spend the farm like most of my boat projects.

KEVIN SANDERS
                      4788 LISAS WAY
                      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Good luck, Kevin.. I can’t wait to hear how you like them,,, depending on thier stock it may take a few weeks to get, but I think for the price,you’ll be pleasantly surprised. That is unless they changed something since I got my seats a couple years ago...

~BJ
                        BJ
                        OMEGA

Comment

I got my bridge helm seat at Pontoonstuff.com as well. Never thought about changing over the lower helm to be one of those but it is a damn comfy seat (which is something that is missing downstairs on my 38)
                          1989 3888
                          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                          X