Water level sensor failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water level sensor failure

Does anyone know what the resistance of the water level sensor is at the guage/panel? I’m trying to track down why my guage isn’t working and thought I’d start with a resistance check. If you have any other ideas, I’m all ears...

Thanks,
    BJ
    OMEGA
    BJ
    OMEGA

Don't know the resistance number but having just completed major electrical restoration, I would check the sender unit first.
    Remove it from the tank.
    Check current at the electrical terminals check wiring for black wires and connectors to the sender unit.
    Continuity when you actuate the float arm is very important.
    Probably easier than pulling dash instruments.

Comment

remove the sensor wire at the sender, the gauge should read either full or empty, (don't remember which), then ground the sensor wire and the gauge should read the opposite. That will tell you if the issue is the sender or gauge.

Many times the float gets water logged, I replace mine with a small plastic bottle pushed on the float rod.

Comment

Just replaced both our senders in the water tanks to these Wema.....did the fuel tanks a few years back and really like them.
        http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level...l#.WmOKUainGbg
        Mark
        USCG OUPV
        1990 4588
        Carlsbad, CA

Comment

My 3988 original sensor was about 33 to 240 ohms. Mechanism had calcium nodules that jammed the works. Replaced with WEMA senders - they build to match your tank depth and flange interface for about $60. Easy to replace and work fine.
          Chuck
          2002 3988 / Cummins 330s
          Los Angeles

Comment

WEMA sensors are the best!
            NILE
            1989 3288MY 305's US Marine
            Fort Lauderdale Florida

Comment

+1 wema
              1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
              previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

I replaced mine with this one. Works perfectly. 16.5”
                https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                New to me 1998 bayliner 3988 Cummins

Comment

Where is the sensor located or where do you accces it to change it? ours has not worked in several years but this thread has spurred the possibility of changing ours. Is it a difficult task?
                  Al & Sherri
                  4588 Pilothouse
                  M.V. Mia Cara

Comment

The sensor is going to be either accessible from the engine bay or, more probably one of those 5” square access hatches (for lack of a better term) in the deck. Not knowing what kind or model of boat you have hinders something more definitive. If you know where the tank is, the sending unit is usually toward the stern. In my 3818 it’s located in the aft port corner of the tank and there is an access hatch located in the guest stateroom for it and the two forward bilge pumps. The downhill end of things. It will look a lot like a gas tank sending unit with about six screws holding it in.
                    Another vote for WEMA
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thanks for your reply Pete. We have a 4588 and I know the tanks are under the bed in the bow of the boat. I will start by looking there.
                      Al & Sherri
                      4588 Pilothouse
                      M.V. Mia Cara

Comment

Working...
                      X