Onan 8KW Genset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onan 8KW Genset

Does anyone have the engine info for the Kubota 3cyl used to power these units. i,e, valve clearance etc.I have the Onan manual but it is pretty lacking regarding engine service.
    '89 3888
    "RUM AWAY"

someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Westerbeke uses the same engine. You may have better luck getting what you want going that route. My manual gives these specs but I am 1500 miles from the boat.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

.005-.007 cold. I called the local Kabota dealer with the engine model number and they were kind of surprised that Onan had used their motor. As expected all of the non marine parts are stock Kabota. I just replaced the exhaust temp sensor that Cummins wants over $100 for, for $22 including shipping. That same part is mostly being used to switch on electric radiator fans.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

It appears the engine is a D-950-B. Making a little progress.
        '89 3888
        "RUM AWAY"

Comment

I think that’s the correct number. I called RMT in Everett, Wa https://www.kubotausa.com/dealers/rmt-equipment-everett and gave them the engine number. I was concerned about the valve adjustment, injectors and glow plugs. They told me the lash needs to be .005-.007 on a cold engine, if the engine fires and runs smoothly, leave the injectors alone, and instructed me on how to est the glow plugs, and to give them more like a minute to 90 seconds. It operated much better last summer but I noticed the shock mounts looked deflated. I replaced them this fall and it made a significant difference in the noise and vibration transmitted to the rest of the boat. I got the mounts from these guys https://www.randkproducts.com/login.php?osCsid=oekasj8abshj2bjen08vfvnab2
          I have other alternative part numbers and places I’ve found things without going to the Cummin$ $tore.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
          X