4788 shower and sinks sump-gctid402130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 shower and sinks sump-gctid402130

We recently bought a 2001 4788 in which the master shower and both head sinks drain into a sump with a float switch, which then automatically pumps overboard. The sump-box volume is only about 1 1/2 gallons, less the volume of the pump & switch, and at least an inch of water remains in the box after the float switch disengages. The float switch failed while we were cruising a week ago, and the sump overflowed to flood the passageway carpet. After the switch was replaced, the sump has overflowed at least once, when apparently too much water flowed into the sump at one time.

I have been told that earlier models of the 4788, at least as new as 1999, do not have this sump pump arrangement. The sinks flow directly overboard out a through hull, and I believe the master shower does also.

Can anyone verify that this is the way some 4788s are plumbed? Does plumbing the sinks and shower directly overboard work ok? Any problems with this? Does anyone know a reason Bayliner added, or may have added, the sump setup that is on my boat? I am very much inclined to simplify this arrangement and go directly overboard if it will work.

Thanks for any information or ideas.

wkcarroll

Ulysses

Anacortes

"I have been told that earlier models of the 4788, at least as new as 1999, do not have this sump pump arrangement. The sinks flow directly overboard out a through hull, and I believe the master shower does also."

1995 - fwd sink overboard, no issues.

Master shower - to the pump box.

Mid shower - to a switch activated diapraghm pump.

Mid sink - to the pump box , no issues.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

If your sump pump box is anything like ours on the 45, there is a circular filter in the sump pump box that has to be cleaned regularly. If it is not cleaned, it will cause a restriction in the pumping of shower/sink effluent overboard with a resulting overflow which can eventually get into the companionway. Make sure this filter (which on a 45' is a tubular item about 6" long and 1 or so inches in diameter) is clean.

Darby

Comment

My 1995 is plumbed like Smitty says.

The tub drain is too low to go directly overboard.

A few years ago I had the same problem you have.

I replaced the pump with the same make and model. It wouldn't keep up with the shower or empting the tub.

I checked all the lines for restriction and found none.

I finally broke down and bought a new box with a larger capacity pump.

It works fine except it won't keep up with a full tub of water. It does the shower.

We have to put a restrictor (a quarter) in the drain when emptying the tub to slow down the flow. Then it works fine.

I've never figured out why the replacement same size pump wouldn't work and I can't see any difference in the sump boxes.

Chris

Comment

the first year we had our 490, we had wet carpets a couple of times. Cleaned filter, would be good for a while, etc. A silicone dam is suppose to divert any leakage from the sump box into the bilge - not. Then there was thread here or on the Meridian site about installing a small thru-hull at the top of the sumpbox with a clear tube down into the bilge. It is a bandaid solution but no more wet carpets. Part of my monthly maintance schelude is to run enough water into the sump to hear the pump kick on, then add some white vinegear to breakdown any soap scum from blocking up the pump. Seems to work. Hope this helps . Ted

Comment

We clean our filter in the sump box about once or twice a year. Then I tape the lid down with pipe tape so that the tape covers most of the lid and box. The pipe tape is like a wide & thick electricians tape (looks like a roll of duct tape). It sticks well, but comes off easily and clean. That helps keep my mind at east. We haven't had any problems.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. It sounds like my problem is not unique.

The two sinks from the heads are plumbed into a "T", which then goes to the sump, then overboard. What if I just go from that "T" directly to the through hull. Then plumbed the master shower drain into the guest shower drain, and add a manual switch same as in the guest head. This would eliminate the problem sump completely. Simpler is usually better. Thanks.

wkcarroll

Ulysses

Anacortes

Comment

The forward sink can go directly overboard like the earlier versions. But the AFT LAV sink is too low. The bottom of the sink is just level with the waterline through hulls so it would have a low spot in the drain hose.

The only issue I can think of to running the tub to the stripping pump is the noise.

Comment

Pacrimrat wrote:
                  The forward sink can go directly overboard like the earlier versions. But the AFT LAV sink is too low. The bottom of the sink is just level with the waterline through hulls so it would have a low spot in the drain hose.

The only issue I can think of to running the tub to the stripping pump is the noise.
                  This is correct.

I replaced our sump box with a new model with bigger pump and the top has a gasket and screws on top so when tightened down no leaks. Also use vinegar and clean once or twice a year as needed.

Hope that helps!
                  1994 4788

Comment

A larger sump box, with a gasket that seals the top, sounds like a good solution. Can anyone tell me where I can find such a box that will fit.

I have been trying to puzzle out where the real flaw is in this whole sump setup. The pump itself is rated at 800gph, which has to far exceed the shower volume. I think the culprit may be the discharge hose from the sump to the through hull. It is a fairly small ID hose, and I wonder if it restricts the flow rate from the sump. Replacing this hose would not be too difficult a project, but the diameter of the through hull fitting would still limit the out flow, and negate any benefit of the larger hose.

Thank you for all the responses.

wkcarroll

Ulysses

Anacortes

Comment

Working...
                    X