Water leak in port vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak in port vent

I hope someone can help with this one? I have a leak from under my port side vent!!! The vent itself is not leaking, but between the vent and the deck! I have noticed behind the pilot house window, port side, that there is a factory bundle of wire that the water is dripping down! The bundle comes from under the command bridge dash, then to the port side and down! I have checked, with a camera, and feeling around where I could for water, but none to be found!!! Frustrating!!!!! Has anyone encountered this problem before? Thanxs for your help. Laurie.

Hi Laurie
    First off are we talking about a 45 or 47???....Windows/ frames are famous for leaks, crud builds up and blocks drain in the window frame then floods over.so you need to clean the felt and window frame....Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Hi Brad, thanxs for your response! It is a 4588 1989. I have sealed off the port window frame with tape, temporarily, and also the port side vent, so no rain could enter the window frame tracks where the windows slide! Today is a big rain event, and the leak from around the vent is still there. I have a Dewalt camera and looked under the port pilothouse window at the attachment bolts, and there nylock nuts! All is dry with no signs of corrosion at all. As I move aft under this window I run into a factory bundle of wires from the command bridge dash, also other things like the scupper hose from the CB, propane hose for stove,etc. This is where I have seen the drips come from, on the bundle, of factory wire. So I went to the CB and I have an access hole on the port side in front of the seat to look behind the wall. With my camera, lites, and feeling around best I could, nothing!! No wet any where!! I have cleaned the tracks for those windows, but no leaks as of this time from them. Thanks so much Brad, this is putting grey hair on me. Laurie.

Comment

Have you removed the magazine rack on aft bulkhead port side in pilot house ??
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

On the back of the pilothouse window you will see a grey aluminum trim piece about 2 inches wide that screws down. Remove the screws and remove it. It is likely caulked as well. You will find a large 'gap' at the back of the pilot house window underneath.... this is the likely place of water intrusion. I had the same problem, and filled this with fiberglass filler, and then re-bedded the cover plate. Another water source is the davit mount, and any penetrations on your flybridge. I also had water coming in under the air horn mounted on the roof of the pilothouse, and it traveled down inside the wall to the guest head... water comes in and travels a long ways sometimes. good luck!

Comment

Hi Capn Ken, Thanxs I know where you mean with 2 inch piece with the screws! I will take that off and see what is up, when I can due to weather! That is great advise. Brad yes I have and also removed the speaker to view behind it! Nothing there though. As to the davit, today we had a small river in the main salon, towels, bucket, etc. Took off rear lite on roof to view, and we noticed a small amount of water sitting on the trim piece! Funny this has never leaked there ever!!! Looked at davit, but must remove my dingy to get at it!! I have a fold down arch, but found that some of the screws that hold the inside trim piece have come loose! Tightened, no leaks yet!!! Thanxs Guys. Laur.

Comment

Hi Laurie
              I saw the picture of your boat in your profile.... Could the water be water running down isenglass onto Venturi then entering thru screw holes...I removed ours years ago and used clear silicone to fill mounting surface and screw holes..no leaks and made it much sturdier,Is their a loud hailer horn on pilot house roof,also check roof gutter for leaks.
              Good luck Brad
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Hi Brad, thanxs again for some insite, I do have a hailer but on the arch. I do have a horn on port side, also remote search lite on the roof. Checked these areas, no leaks,YEH!! On the venturi, I have had to tighten the screws, but there was no evidence of leaks anywhere there. We have had 60 mph winds here the last 2 days and cannot get to the side piece behind the pilot house window. just ran into another problem, it seems my bonding system from my main zinc in not working?! The main zinc is not showing any deterioration from use. It was on the boat since last July! I guess I'll have to check the bonding wires for continuity! Thanxs Brad. Laurie.

Comment

Hi Laurie
                  I would double check that scupper and drain hose,also the propane hose and attachments making sure all are sealed....this sure is a tough one??
                  Brad & Sharon
                  Lady Jake
                  Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Yes I agree Brad! They say time will make the difference on finding and fixing my 45! I did have a leak on the port scupper, and pulled it apart to find the bedding compound had failed! I resealed it and all is good on the scupper. Some of the leaks I seem to have also are in the bed room, with the secretaries desk, on port side, above the port holes and ceiling, against the hull side! I think it may be coming from the stanchions, and teak base. I have checked the cleats, and all seems well! I have used Capt Tolly's crack finder to see if I can seal them. Is this a good way to start looking for those leaks? Thanxs again Brad. Laur.

Comment

('89 4588) Following this one closely.. My surveyor has informed me that the overhang on the front pilot house roof, the underside is super soft. Full width and extends about 3 ft back over the pilot house. I'll be keeping tabs on this so I know what to look for as far as water intrusion. But he says the coring is most definitely very wet. Easy access from inside after ceiling is removed. Says to use a plastic called "Starboard" to help with repairing it. I won;t be near it until May to start thinking about it. But will be keeping this thread near...

Comment

Hi seems that I hit the wrong button and posted with out finishing! I would like to thank Brad and everyone else for your input on fixing my leaks! Brad you were spot on with the aluminum strip behind the pilot house window! I still have a 2 or 3 drip on the tank, but I think that it comes in when it is a heavy rain, and wind event! I also found that all the drip rail screws around the pilot house had no bedding, and had to be resealed!!! Oh Boy!!! Also to add to a few more leaks! I had to tear apart my port side interior to access the nuts from the stations , and found that all of the nuts could be turned at least 8 clicks on a ratchet! After I tightened these pesky nuts , spayed flex seal over them, and bingo no more leaks! One other mention, if yo have a laundry center, with venting, they used a thin piece of veneer against the hull where the vent goes through the deck!!! Leaked in between the wood and fiberglass, sealant was needed. Again I would like to thank all the advise! Great people and a great site! Thank you ! Until next time. Laurie.

Comment

Thanxs Captn Ken Great help. 2 Thumbs up. Laur.

Comment

Working...
                          X