AC And DC power monitoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
    If I can ask, having used the Link systems for years, what additional or better data does the Trimetric unit provide?
    I’m always after a better mousetrap.
    I really can't remember - its coming up 10 years since I did that buoyancy test. All I know is we had a Trimetric on our bus conversion and I learned how to use that. When we bought Gray Hawk the previous owner went on at great length about the Link system (I believe it was a Link 1000 but I could be mistaken on the number). I tried to use the Link but just never could get the information that I was used to from the Trimetric. As I recall it was more about the integration of inverter control and amp monitoring into the same display than it was about actual missing functionality. Having said that there's a lot of user configurable functionality in the Trimetric which I couldn't find in my Link. Things like charge efficiency and charged setpoint amps and volts - maybe it was there and I just couldn't find it. All I can say for certain is I've had three Trimetric systems now and while they are less than user friendly they are very capable and if you are willing to invest the time, very configurable. When I set up the latest system on our fifth wheel I deliberately stayed completely away from Xantrex.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post

I really can't remember - its coming up 10 years since I did that buoyancy test. All I know is we had a Trimetric on our bus conversion and I learned how to use that. When we bought Gray Hawk the previous owner went on at great length about the Link system (I believe it was a Link 1000 but I could be mistaken on the number). I tried to use the Link but just never could get the information that I was used to from the Trimetric. As I recall it was more about the integration of inverter control and amp monitoring into the same display than it was about actual missing functionality. Having said that there's a lot of user configurable functionality in the Trimetric which I couldn't find in my Link. Things like charge efficiency and charged setpoint amps and volts - maybe it was there and I just couldn't find it. All I can say for certain is I've had three Trimetric systems now and while they are less than user friendly they are very capable and if you are willing to invest the time, very configurable. When I set up the latest system on our fifth wheel I deliberately stayed completely away from Xantrex.
      OK, Thanks!

I have the Xantrex LinkPro but am not married to them.

The functions that I use are the AMPS of charging (or discharge) current, the battery state of charge and the voltmeter.

I was asking about the Trimetric because I just cannot think of another function that I would actually use.

I do also use the alarm contacts to tie into my alarm system so that if thevoltage drops below 12.2 volts I get an alert that the battery charger is inop.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

The functions that I use are the AMPS of charging (or discharge) current, the battery state of charge and the voltmeter.

I was asking about the Trimetric because I just cannot think of another function that I would actually use..
        One specific area that I know is configurable on the Trimetric is the exact parameters that you want to have met in order to consider a battery bank "fully" charged. Its not as simple as when the float hits the top of your gas tank and you know the tank is full. Watts in don't necessarily exactly equal watts out - the rate of charge or discharge affects how the battery accepts or releases its charge. Personally I like to have a fairly low amperage at a relatively high voltage before my meter trips back to 100% charged. I can configure all of that on the Trimetric and you may also be able to do that on your Link, I just couldn't figure out how to do it. In my situation there will be times when the meter actually shows greater than 100% charged and times when it "sticks" at 97 or 98% for an extended period of time. Personally I'm OK with that but others might disagree. There's some time sensitive monitoring built into the Trimetric as well. I use the days since equalized to keep track of when I'm due for an equalization charge. But you're right - mostly what you will use is amps in/out and SOC.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Working...
        X